The Plough Rhosmaen
Spilman Hotel(Carmarthen)
Waun Wyllt B&B(Llanelli)
Boar's Head Hotel(Carmarthen)
View Hotel
All reviewscockleswelsh breakfasttowy valleyhigh standardmain coursewedding receptionfood was fantasticroom was largestaff were attentivelovely hotelevening mealsunday nightfish and chipsbe visiting againexcellent stayone night staywest wales
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights at The Plough in July, using it as a base for meeting up with some old friends. It proved an excellent choice. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, with lovely views, though if I'd been staying more than 2 days I'd have liked a little more drawer space. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly and didn't seem to mind when we talked for ages over breakfast or dinner long after everyone else had left. The breakfasts were very good and the dinner menu imaginative and stylishly presented, though we couldn't see much point in putting some of the food on black slates, which may look very nice but probably makes it difficult for staff to handle. As a vegetarian, I'd have appreciated more than 2 choices of main dish and found the wild mushroom risotto a little too salty for my taste. My meat and fish-eating companions seemed happy, though.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel and had a lovely view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Rhosmaen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Janet D,

Thank you for such a lovely review on your recent stay with us - I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed. I will be sure to pass on all your wonderful comments to my staff.

We pride ourselves on the quality of the produce that is sourced locally. I have looked at our vegetarian options and we currently have 3 options along with a special board which often includes vegetarian dishes.

Thank you once again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Plough in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Well we stayed here in August last year and it blew us away, so much so we decided to return in July this year for our wedding anniversary again.

The dining area has been through a re-fit and decoration and I have to say it looks stunning, really modern and fresh looking. The room again was immaculate and spotless, so was the hotel in general. Every inch of this place is well looked after.

Now, I wrote last year about just how good the food was here. So much so it was at the time probably some of the best food I have tasted.

However this time I have to say it was a massive disappointment. To begin with the menu now has a slimmed down offering compared to last year and the cuts of meat being used are far cheaper. I had the trio of lamb last year and it was mouth watering good. Three separate takes on lamb dishes served with garlic potatoes. This year it is replaced with a lamb duo, which basically turned out to be 1 large lamb croquette. It was so bland I didn't eat it and sent it back. I had the slow cooked rabbit to start, again totally bland and lacking in any form of flavour.

It is absolutely evident that the chef from last year has departed the Plough, and what is being offered now does not even come close to being a match. To add to this when we were questioning the waitress as to what some of the dishes were, she got angry with us as she didn't know and had to go and ask the chef. I don't mind the fact she had to ask, it's the fact she was angry with us. This aside all of the other staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and so were they the last time we stayed here.

In all our stay was ruined by this member of staff and the fact that we had looked so forward to the standard of food we had experienced last year. It just didn't cut it, not anywhere close unfortunately.

In summary we will probably stay here again, however we will certainly never dine there again. Disappointing as last year we were extremely satisfied and thought we had found a regular get away hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hackers1979

Dear hackers1979,

Thank you for taking your time to leave feedback regarding your recent trip.

With regards to the menu, when you stayed with us last year we had a classic and signature menu, feedback from our diners by having two menus was confusing so therefore we incorporated the two menus into one, we did not remove any dishes and also offer a special board with more choice.
I am sorry to hear that you believe we are offering cheaper cuts of meat, I understand that you had email correspondence with my general manager before your stay regarding this, as explained the trio has been changed to allow diners to experience different dishes the amount of meat is the same as the previous dish. I apologize that you did not enjoy this, it is however a very popular dish and this is the first complaint we have received.
The waitress that served you is a trusted and valued member of staff that has been employed by myself for 17 years, in all the years that she has been in my employment this is the first complaint of this manner, under extensive questioning she may have become flustered but never angry.
If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to myself.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had stayed at the Plough a few years ago and enjoyed the experience. As we are on the mailing list, we received notification of a special promotion which coincided with a trip I needed to make to West Wales. We secured an executive bedroom which overlooked the Towy valley and enjoyed a wonderful meal in the restaurant. The bedroom was simply superb, the quality of the furnishings and fittings were of top quality. The food in the restaurant was also excellent and the service provided by all the staff could not be faulted. I would recommend The Plough without any reservations whatsoever. I wish we lived nearer to enjoy the great food prepared.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the garden will give splendid views of the beautiful Towy Valley
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Eirlys M,

Thank you for your lovely response. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and were able to make the most of our special offers.

My team will be pleased to hear that you both enjoyed your experience, as they all work hard to achieve the high quality you have experienced.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to all the team members, and I will let them know how much you have enjoyed the food, service and your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Plough in the near future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We recently spent 2 nights here using it as a base to research family history and visit local attractions such as the National Botanic Garden of Wales and Aberglasney.

Initial impressions as we walked in were that it was a little "blingy" as it exuded sparkle and glitter and bright pinks and purples and greys. However, it had clearly been recently decorated and if not quite to my taste, you could see it was well done and looked after.

All the staff were brilliant - very friendly and helpful and gave us a warm welcome.

Our room was really nice - 205, so on the level with no steps and a nice view over the countryside behind us. It was a very good size too. We were well away from the main road so it was very quiet.

It was spotlessly clean with all the usual things you'd expect in a good hotel - tea/coffee/kettle and hair dryer. The bathroom had masses of big, fluffy towels and one bar of soap and one shampoo and showergel. Another bar of soap would have been nice, but that's a very minor gripe. The loo wasn't the best flusher either, but really I'm just being picky here.

Free wifi was also available - reception gave you a user id and password which lasted for the duration of your visit.

There is masses of parking too - either side of the hotel. If you went the far side of the hotel away from Llandeilo, there was access to a huge parking area behind the hotel which was well away from the main road and very private.

We ate dinner here both nights as well as breakfast. It was all delicious, but be warned, the portions are enormous. We both have healty appetites but could only manage the main course - sadly no starter or dessert, which was a shame as they sounded wonderful. My lamb liver was a tad overcooked the first night, but the fish and chips the 2nd night were fabulous with the fish tasting as fresh as can be.

There is a buffet for breakfast plus a huge choice of cooked breakfasts. From what I could hear from other tables, more or less any combination was possible as they were very flexible. A Dutch couple near us had Danish pastries and a cheesboard provided even though they weren't on the menu.

Room Tip: Rooms starting with a "2" are on the ground floor and have no steps.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Iberian_Lynx,

Thank you for taking your time to leave such a glowing review of your recent visit.

I am pleased to hear that all of my staff members were able to assist you with a enjoyable stay.

I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your Superior double room, all of our rooms face out onto the Towy valley, providing guests with one of the best views in the area, and of course allowing for a peaceful stay,

I will pass on your praise to my housekeeping staff, who work hard to ensure all guests find their rooms 'spotless', I will look into providing more soaps, however my reception staff would have been happy to provide more should you have requested.
I will also pass on your comments to my team of chefs, we use local ingredients where possible which we feel really reflects in the quality of our 1 rosette food.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Plough in the future,

Reviewed 30 July 2014

4 of us (ladies) sat in the bar on a Friday night. No bar menu. Food came nice enough. Not nearly enough for the price. My friend was waiting for the vegetables to arrive and the potatoes waiting she was, they were on the plate. Very disappointed. Country people need a good plate full.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear D J,

I am sorry to hear that your visit to The Plough did not live up to our usual high standard.
We do have a bar menu available, with items such as lasagne, curry and fish & chips. These options are incorporated in our A la Carte menu.
I also apologize that the meal was not sufficient in size for your party, my front of house team would have been more then happy to organise extra potatoes or accompliments should they have been made aware of your dissatisfaction.