“Consistently fabulous!”

Price range: US$19 - US$50
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Award winning pub/restaurant featuring Carmarthenshire's finest produce.
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I reviewed Y Polyn a while ago now and awarded it the "Excellent" status but since then, and having visited there on numerous occasions since my last Review I feel I need to change the Status - the problem is that there is no "Wonderfully Excellent" or "Consistently Fabulous" button to press so just for the record - IT IS!!! Had an absolutely gorgeous meal there yesterday and as usual the welcome we were given was so warm and friendly and the service impeccable. Mark and Sue you have got it just right!

2  Thank Bronwen B

Reviewed 4 April 2013

The service is excellent and the waitress that served our table was beautiful.

The atmosphere is lovely and relaxed and the food is excellent. I always worry slightly when I see 'gastro pub', because that usually means - to me - a chef who is punching above their weight, but the food here is very good indeed.

My only criticism is in the desserts; I had the pecan pie - which was overcooked - and other people had the panacotta, which was okay, but wasn't to the same standard as the savoury items on the menu.

I would still go back, but I would like to see the quality of the desserts improve.

2  Thank Mr_Pettifog
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stopped unexpectedly here on my way to the ferry port on the way home. This place is very true to its setting and intentions. The menu is short, full of local produce, and the cooking has a deft touch with flavour, combined with excellent technique. It offers great value for the quality of food. The local ham certainly gives any patta nagra a run for its money and the lamb is possibly one of the nicest cuts I've eaten in years, perfectly cooked. Finally I was travelling alone but made to feel welcome, valued and part of the experience. Definitely on the return soon list.

1  Thank HighStandards24
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Visited Y Polyn for lunch again (for the 5th time) whilst visiting relatives.Always a friendly welcome and staff are very helpful with our disabled relatives.The atmosphere is warm and homely rather than smart. Wine menu is wide ranging from moderate to expensive. The food menu has a varied choice of starters and mains, with fish, meats and vegetables all localy sourced, the beef and lamb all from their own farm. Don't expect "Fast" service since everything is cooked individually and not re-heated. Their fish soup and the vegetables are worth a visit there by themselves! There is a small "waiting" bar near the entrance serving local beers. It is advisable to book in advance, even in mid-week, as it is always busy whenever we visit.

1  Thank tedtrillo
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We have eaten at the Polyn many, many times and never been disappointed. Cooking and atmosphere is always first class. Mark and Steve, front of house, will always share a joke and are happy to offer advice on wine, drinks, menu, anything in fact! Best eatery in the South West by a mile!

2  Thank Customshop57