“Perfect!”

Price range: US$16 - US$44
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Award winning pub/restaurant featuring Carmarthenshire's finest produce.
Wales, UK
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We were really looking forward to eating here and it definitely lived up to expectations.

Perfect service - so friendly and very professional, we literally didn't want for anything....

Everything was amazing, from the beer to the bread, Longhorn beef, free-range pork and the strawberry trifle was out of the this world! My other half had the 2 course lunch menu, which was excellent value at just £12 but he thought £16 was expensive for my beef & ale pie...I thought it was worth every penny!

Can't wait to return.

1 Thank AmyLJ

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Pulled it back”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

After having had a disappointing lunch here over a year ago, (chicken and leek pie with not much chicken, leek or flavour) we decided to give Y Polyn another try. I had the credit crunch lunch and from the salad starter to the trifle the food was absolutely superb. A real bargain for under £15. Lunch time as always was busy, but staff are attentive and you have complimentary bread and water, which is always a lovely touch. I would once again, highly recommend this place, a little out of the way, but well worth the visit

wales
“Y Polyn still has what it takes to please”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Its been a long time since I was last a patron of this restaurant, management has changed hands since my last meal here, and I'd heard the transition hadn't faired either the service or, "GASP!", the food very well. Both family and friends reported poor experiences during the fledgling hand-over of this quaint eatery. Thankfully, these accusations were either unfounded, perhaps biased toward personal taste, or the crew managed to pull up their bootstraps and come out of the slightly turbulent transition smelling of freshly baked bread! in any case Y Polyn is still one of the few jewels in the welsh culinary crown and how they shine!
Local and foreing brews on draught, plus a good selection of spirits and soft alternatives including bottles of squeezed juice awaited our selection before being shown to our table in the elegantly mismatched restaurant. With a creamy crisp and cool Staropramen in hand, my eyes delighted over the sublime menu of succulent starter salads, rich pates, and the ever popular fish soup. A firm favourite of mine, the soup is a fabulously fishy treat, i neglected to notice if its still served with gruyere and toasted crispy bread. I bypassed this though and opted instead for the duck salad my beautiful lady got the chicken liver pate, both came with in ten minuets and after devouring half each we casually swapped plates to try eachothers starters, I prefered the pink slices of duck, juicy gems of orange, crunchy red onion and leaves of the salad to the creamy smooth meatiness of the liver pate, both were beautiful and filling though.
ahead of the main course my beau elected to wonder outside and smoke a cigarette, not being a smoker my self i would have been content to sit and nurse my ever dissipating Starop, but the evening was fine and the surroundings of this beautifully isolated hidaway are quite the ticket for a quiet meditation or a breif interval before the main.
And what a main, im glad i chose this over the ever faithful belly pork or steak with ox tongue or locally sourced fish or the confit duck. Before this night i was a veal virgin and as a staunch advocate of animal welfare i asked what type of veal they were serving, the welcomed answer was rose veal from Devon, which is a more humanely reared form of the meat. my conseance at ease, we waited for our veal in eager anticipation. Out came the mains, the veal had some sort of breaded crust and looked like it had been shallow fried. it smelt amazing and was garnished with tiny gerkins and lentils then surrounded in a light sauce, the name of which escapes me. accompanying our veal was the signature Y polyn dish of seasonal veg including a comforting potato gratan. i simply cannot emphasise the quality of this simply constructed meal. At the heart of the informal easiness of this little welsh wonder is great quality British sourced ingredients cooked with passion. And enjoyed, i might add, with great gusto.

1 Thank mafiaWales
llanelli
“"Lunchtime treat"”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Superb as usual, friendly, happy, welcoming staff. Outstanding food, beautifully presented, generous portion sizes and the bread is to die for !!!!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A VERY LUCKY FIND”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We found y Polyn by accident. We were heading for the National Botanic Gardens and found the pub we intended to eat at was closed all day Wednesday! We decided to try the first place we came to close to the Gardens - et voila.
My wife who cannot eat large amounts had a starter and dessert which she thouroughly enjoyed. I had what I consider to be one of the best rib-eye steaks I have tasted. It was cooked to my perfection and the sauce was delicious. I had been tempted to ask for chips but decided to see how the steak was normally served..The saute potatoes and vegies were superb. I found the horseradish butter a little strong but there again I do not usually go for horseradish..
A welcome nice touch was the complimentary fresh, crusty breads and spring water.
I would have awarded 5 stars but felt the price of drinks - draught cider and bottled coke - was somewhat OTT. This didn't sink in until we were home otherwise I would have raised it at the time.
This place is a treasure and only about 35 minutes from where we live..

1 Thank Ted G