“Consistently excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Y Polyn
Ranked #2 of 131 Restaurants in Carmarthen
Price range: US$16 - US$44
Cuisines: European, British, Welsh, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Award winning pub/restaurant featuring Carmarthenshire's finest produce.
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Consistently excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Y Polyn is one of our very regular haunts and we have Reviewed this delightful Restaurant before (5/5) but we wanted to pop this quick Review on because we visited there yesterday and were served THE most glorious food! It is always excellent but yesterday was simply sublime, particularly my Starter which was Monkfish Tails with a Spicy Tomato Sauce, it was the best Starter to date for me. My other half asked if he could have the Girole Pasta dish was a Starter, as his Main which was no problem at all and as he neared the end of his dish he slowed right down because he didn't want to finish it! The standard is consistently high both in quality of food and service which is understated but extremely efficient. Thanks Mark and Sue, you've still got it :) See you soon!

Bridgend South Wales
“Fabulous place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This really is a fabulous little pub. Off the beaten track but busy every time I have been there. It is a gem. The food is excellent as is the service and atmosphere. It's an hour drive away from my home but worth the trip.

• Visited June 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable evening out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a country pub turned restaurant with largely a local clientele. The food is good but certainly not exceptional and appears over-reliant on sauces and spices. The fish soup was thick and may be far too strong for some. Sewin was well cooked but did not have any wow factor. The duck was served appropriately red but missed the crowning of a crispy skin and taste was masked by copious strong sauce. The cheesecake sweet was excellent however but altogether our expectations were not met based on reputation and Tripadvisor ratings. A trip to Y Polin will be an enjoyable evening out and the bill came to just over £64 without service and wine. A three course dinner for 2 with wine and coffee is likely to be around £100.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bluebellplasnewydd
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Linch on a rainy Thursday in July, and the restaurant was packed !! Great atmosphere and interesting , well cooked food. The rabbit hash was brilliant both in taste and texture. Belly pork was crisp and flavoursome. Chips were surer.

1 Thank Dfwp
Swansea County, United Kingdom
“Delicious food in a realxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Four of us dined recently in Y Polyn for my partner's birthday. The restaurant is set in a country pub, and was easy to find with the satnav. The staff were welcoming and we immediately sensed a relaxed atmosphere in the restaurant, which was really pleasant.

On a Friday evening, the only available menu is a £35.00 3-course set menu. At first I wasn't so sure about booking for this, as I'm really not a dessert person and I've never been fond of HAVING to have 3 courses. However, I'm glad that I did book for this as the desserts were brilliant, and I thoroughly enjoyed mine.

Fresh bread (focaccia and a brown bread) are served on the table with butter. The focaccia was quite salty, but personally I love salt so this was great for me! We were also given a bottle of still and sparkling water which was a nice touch, as a lot of restaurants charge for sparkling. Two of us weren't drinking as well and wanted to stick with water, so this was appreciated.

To start I ordered fish soup, which was really tasty. For mains I had the duck, which was really delicious; the meat was excellently cooked and the sauce it came with was really flavourful. A large baking dish of vegetables came with our meals and this was lovely; the potatoes were really creamy and very garlic-y which was amazing as I love garlic! The others had steak, salmon and another duck for mains and all really enjoyed. For dessert I ordered the chocolate brownie; I was so pleased to see it on the menu as it's one of the few desserts that I do like. It was fantastic! Warm brownie served with ice cream. My partner ordered the cheesecake which looked lovely, and I they were very generous with the size of the desserts!

Overall the food was excellent; I was surprised at how much food was served as often in similar restaurants you can go away feeling satisfied but not full. We were definitely very full and it was brilliant. The only slight let-down was that a pint of the house beer was £4.50 which is too much in all four of our opinions.

We really enjoyed our dining experience here and felt that we could talk and have a laugh without being frowned at. Excellent food with friendly and relaxed service make Y Polyn somewhere that I'll be returning to in the future.

• Visited June 2014