“An absolute gem!”

Price range: US$18 - US$50
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Award winning pub/restaurant featuring Carmarthenshire's finest produce.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our party consisted of baby, toddler, two parents, an aunt and uncle, and two grandparents. The staff set to, arranging a large table, high chairs etc, all the while fussing over the youngest members. Still and sparkling water was provided (and refilled regularly) throughout our stay. Four of the adults chose starters, and while we waited, they brought round succulent sausages to stave off the hunger pangs. These were most welcome, especially by toddler. The food was freshly cooked, very well presented, absolutely delicious, and very generously portioned. By the time we had finished our mains, we had hit time buffers, and asked for our bill. There was a fixed price for two courses, and two of us had only had one, something which did not bother us at all, as we had all enjoyed our stay. The waitresses desperately tried to tempt us with puddings, even offering to give us a doggy bag to carry them. Just wonderful. If ever we're in the area, we will definitely be back.

1  Thank Horleylad

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I holiday two or three times each year in Carmarthenshire and always have a lunch at Y Polyn. The atmosphere is informal but pleasant. Food is usually locally produced. For example, on this visit I had Pembrokeshire potato and broad bean salad (tiny, tender beans) and Carmarthen ham with a welsh cheese dressing as a starter. Main course I had salt-marsh lamb and my wife had duck; both are cooked 'pink' which we found tender and delicious. The staff always tell customers if the food is 'pink' before taking the order. I notice that one reviewer found too much salt in his food but we have never experienced this; my wife puts salt in her cooking with a very light-hand and we notice salty food straight away so I think the reviewer was just unlucky. There is a good selection of homemade deserts. Wine list is extensive and fair value. Homemade bread and water is included at no extra charge. Advisable to book a table. Worth while seeking this restaurant out.

1  Thank Tudgey43
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The service was friendly and the meal was very well cooked with a good menu choice. I chose a starter of Pembrokeshire new potato salad broad beans Carmarthen Ham, Pantysgawn Goats cheese dressing, and a main of Pan fried Brixham Skate, Pak Choi, and Pancetta Crumble plus a pint of very good local bitter. My wife chose a main of Crispy Belly of Pork, Gooseberry, Mint and Juniper Relish both meals come with seasonal veg. My wife finished with Strawberry Eton Mess while I chose Warm prune, Rum and Frangipane Tart with Chantilly Cream. We would recommend you to give this pub a try if you are in the area.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Great food at this exquisite little pub in the Towy Valley, not cheap, but you get what you pay for,
Lovely cottage atmosphere device was great and food did not disappoint , tried a local pale ale which is brewed literally two fields away from the pub , a very nice tipple ,
Bottled water in abundance on the table to cleanse the palette in between courses, I can honestly recommend this place and will return without doubt

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Y Polyn is one of our very regular haunts and we have Reviewed this delightful Restaurant before (5/5) but we wanted to pop this quick Review on because we visited there yesterday and were served THE most glorious food! It is always excellent but yesterday was simply sublime, particularly my Starter which was Monkfish Tails with a Spicy Tomato Sauce, it was the best Starter to date for me. My other half asked if he could have the Girole Pasta dish was a Starter, as his Main which was no problem at all and as he neared the end of his dish he slowed right down because he didn't want to finish it! The standard is consistently high both in quality of food and service which is understated but extremely efficient. Thanks Mark and Sue, you've still got it :) See you soon!