“Worst pub lunch in years”

White Hart Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #52 of 139 Restaurants in Carmarthen
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 1 May 2014

First the good things. A very attractive building and the beer was good, but that's far as it goes. I ordered drinks, a Cauliflower Vegetable Bake and Faggots, chips and Mushy Peas. To my surprise I was immediately asked for payment up front.
When the food arrived we were not immediately impressed by appearance. the Mushy Peas were not much more than a green puddle and the "Hand Cut Chips" were a bit pale did not look freshly cooked. The Faggot was quite tasty. As for the Cauliflower Bake that was absolutely dreadful. The Cauliflower and Broccoli were so hard that it was impossible to pierce them with a fork.
When my Wife complained to the man behind the bar,he was quite unapologetic, even slightly aggressive.
I have been to this pub in the past but I certainly will not be going there again and will be telling my friends of the experience.
To sum up. Poor, overpriced food and a bad attitude.

5  Thank Norman W

Reviewed 30 April 2014

The food is decent enough pub grub, nothing more. The building and location are very pleasant and attractive, unfortunately it all ends there, due to some of the worst treatment towards out custom I have experienced. The lady taking our order was the female equivalent of Basil Fawlty, with less Witt and use of vocabulary. Will never eat in this place again.

5  Thank FFmic
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Reading some of he reviews either make me laugh or cringe - the people that condemn this lovely place to stop for a meal would be better off stopping a KFC - Mac Donald's or some other fast food outlet and let the more concerning diner enjoy the very tastefully prepared meals - I will agree that the menu could be reduced in price for some of the meals - my Wife , Mother in law and myself called in today as we mostly do when travelling west and we were warmly greeted by the Coles Family - again we had three very lovely meals ... Yes we will return !

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I am quite shocked at some of the negative reviews on here. I have visited this pub on several occasions over the years, and have never had a bad meal. The food is always well cooked and nicely presented, and the portions are quite generous. The meals can be a little pricey, depending on what you have. Bar meals are cheaper. The food is always fresh and comes with a fresh salad or vegetables as a side, again depending on what you have. You can also see the chefs preparing the food, if you sit in the restaurant. I am not a local, but know that the pub is family run, and they use locally sourced produce. I always find the family to be pleasant, and they always thank you for your custom when you leave. The inside of the pub is full of nic nacs which cover the ceiling and walls. This gives the pub an old world charm, and many of the objects are of interest. There is also a childrens play area outside. I will certainly continue to visit the pub when I am in the area, or I will make a special journey to have a good meal on a special occasion. I last visited on 4th April 2014, and tried some of their home made cider, which was very nice and quite strong.

5  Thank D W
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This very attractively appointed inn was a great disappointment. It is vastly overpriced and the quality of the food leaves much to be desired. An obviously reheated baked potato was still cool in the middle. Generous it may be, but large portions of indifferent fare is not what is needed. The lady who served us was very pleasant and smiley, but the other staff seemed to take no interest whatever in their customers......other than how much of their money could be separated from them!

5  Thank Brenda847