“Noisy and tired”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Carmarthen
London, England, United Kingdom
“Noisy and tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed overnight on a Saturday night, to collect our daughter from university. The hotel is well located in the centre of town. There is some parking around the back of the hotel. The bar is located at the front door and doubles as reception. On our arrival there was a noisy party going on in the bar. We were pleased that our room was fairly quiet. The room was clean and functional. When we returned after dinner at around 10.00 the bar was busy and noisy. But the worst part was when we got to our room. There was a disco going on in the dining room. Right below us. The music was so loud it was as if we were in the room. Then the karaoke started. Mercifully, it ended just after midnight.
The breakfast was efficiently served and good.
The room is reasonably priced and well located... But would recommend not staying there over the weekend, unless you're joining a party.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Drovers A, Manager at The Drovers Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Comments noted, as an historic listed building that had been a coaching inn and public house for over 150 years on the busiest street in town, we would expect to be busy on a Saturday night,
The night you stayed we did have a small party going on in the function room, but music is turned off at 12, considering you mention the room was functional you don't mention anything in your review about tired, we have just started a refurbishment on the upstairs areas and hopefully you would see an improvement on completion.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Somerset, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

On the plus side, good value for money, good location. Great cooked breakfast. Room seemed clean, but dated. Shower was very good. Good size kettle and mugs in room. Tea bags provided but no coffee.

Negatives: bed by the window in twin room 16 was ridiculously saggy. Very uncomfortable. I would feel embarrassed if I expected someone to sleep on that bed in my house! Actually dreaded having to sleep in it on the second night.
No wifi in room.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Snailo80
Hi, your comments have been noted and we have refurbished the entire beds in each room, strangely we note that the bed was actually broken, it was not on your arrival, but if you had mentioned it to reception it would have been replaced before your second nights stay.
Mind reading is not included in the room rate , but a great welcome at a fair rate is.

Travellers are raving about these Carmarthen hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night, Emma was very friendly & helpful. Room was spotless breakfast was lovely. Because its over a pub it is noisy but we knew about this before we went so it wasnt a problem for us. Excellent value for the money.

• Stayed April 2014
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

I found this hotel to be very clean and tidy. The staff treated us as very well which goes to show how friendly they are to there guests. The breakfast which is served was first class. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Blaenau Ffestiniog, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel is situated conveniently in the middle of Carmarthen, close to the shopping area and restaurants. When we arrived, the girl behind the bar was very helpful and attentive. She directed us to the hotel's car park - easy to find, just off the main street behind the hotel. The room was basic but very clean. The bathroom was a decent size and had a bath as well as a shower. The room doors are opened and locked with an 'old fashioned' key...not a problem...but you do need to remember to lock yourself in or anyone could walk into the room! We didn't go down to the bar as we were very tired upon arrival...but the locals seemed very friendly and I'm sure any visitor would have been welcomed to spend the night in the bar with them.
Which brings me to the main problem...the noise from the music and people enjoying themselves continued until about 2am. Our room seemed to be over where people went out to smoke so there was constant noise from people talking loudly, and every time the door opened the noise from the juke box was even louder! I'm not even a light sleeper, but couldn't sleep for the noise! Even after the noise from the pub finished, the people staying in the room next to us came back so I had to endure the noise from their television set for about an hour (walls are thin!!!).
Breakfast on weekends is served until 10am - which is good. After a few minutes of walking around, not sure where we were meant to go, we were greeted by the cook (I assumed the owner?) who was friendly and cooked us a delicious fried breakfast. There was also a good selection of continental breakfast. You made your own toast and tea.
Personally I would be very apprehensive of staying here again. If you're a heavy sleeper or going on a night out to Carmarthen then I assume this place would be ideal! If you're staying with a family or want an early nights sleep then I would be cautious. It might be worth phoning before hand if your planning on staying during the week as the noise might not be an issue.

Room Tip: It might be worth requesting a room that is affected less by noise. Also, phoning to ask when the b...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Teithwraig245
southampton england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

The price at gbp 54 per night, isn't cheap for a B and B... Still, it was where I needed to be and options were limited. I booked based on Tripadvisor recommendations and the phone call I made, when I asked specifically whether there was free wifi, and was told there was.
I arrived after a 5 hour journey, very tired and was asked for upfront payment for both nights. No receipt was given for cash payment.
The room was spotlessly clean but, when I went to bed, one of the two twin beds sagged so badly, it felt as if the divan base might be broken. I swapped to the other bed, which was marginally better but still, after two nights of a mattress that I'll bet has never been turned to even out use/wear, I now have a nasty bout of backache! I did put all this into a survey form left for clients.
During the two nights and days I stayed there, the free wifi never worked once, even in the public rooms or bar. Even the hotel bar staff couldn't get it to work and I heard other visitors experiencing difficulties. My only option was to go to the local Caffe Nero, buy food I didn't want so I could use my iPad / Phone.
On plus side, the breakfasts were very good indeed, freshly cooked for each person, very hot and with an excellent range of options. The cleanliness of the accommodation was very good too but, the bar and eating area were very dark and rather gloomy.
Would I stay there again? Probably not. Wish I'd paid the slightly higher price for a better standard a few doors down.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lizzie53
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from an overnight stay at the Drovers Arms. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was extremely clean and the breakfast was well presented. The only niggle was the tv was in the wrong place so it couldn't actually be watched while in bed. Other than that it was perfect. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmarthen
Spilman Hotel
#3 of 7 in Carmarthen
Three Rivers Hotel
Three Rivers Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ferryside

Been to The Drovers Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!