“A safe place for a Lady to wait.”

and 1 more site!
The Ivy Bush Royal Hotel
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Carmarthen
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Having been left by my Husband to have a drink on my own while he went off to see the Specialist I felt very much "at home" reading and enjoying people watching until he returned. He returned and we had coffee and then decided as we felt so comfortable there, we would have lunch which was very good, served with a smile, priced reasonable. Lots going on there, every member of Staff very pleasant and helpful. I felt very much at ease and we will return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ivy B, Front Office Manager at The Ivy Bush Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2014

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are pleased that we could be of service to you, we hope to see you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Ivy Bush Royal Hotel

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our coach party were welcomed here on the second leg of our Grand Coastal Tour of Wales.. My wife and I had a comfortable room on the first floor, comfortable beds, flat screen TV and good tea-making facilities. Spacious, clean bathroom and an easy to use shower system. A small criticism is that the opening window of the bedroom was so balanced that it swung wide upwards, however with a little ingenuity it was made adjustable by using a strap from a shoulder bag! There were no blinds and the main curtains had to be used to shield any unwanted gaze from the street. Evening meal had a good choice of starters, main course and dessert. Breakfast also had a varied choice for full Welsh breakfast and Continental breakfast should you require it. The toast maker caused a few problems occasionally, but I think it may have been due to misuse. The staff were always helpful and efficient . . . and my wife thought the Harry Potter look-a-like was a real star ! It was a real pleasure to stay at this hotel, having suffered a bad experience with another hotel earlier. This hotel is 3-Star PLUS !

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay, we hope to see you again in the future

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here over the weekend as it was only 30 minutes away from the Eisteddfod in Llanelli. The hotel receptionist was friendly and helpful as was the kind bar man.
However most of the waiting on staff were miserable and didn't even ask if I or my partner had finished our food before taking our plates. A smile really does go along way!
The evening meal however was gorgeous!

Breakfast was edible. There was a variety of choice; cooked, cereal, fruit or pastries.
The plates for the cooked breakfast however were cold.

The rooms themselves were nice and clean. The beds were comfy and the water was hot enough to have a bath. The shower could have been more powerful. My only big criticism about the rooms is that the walls are thin so we could hear drunken men making noise outside our room. There is also no net curtains meaning you have to be sure you are dressed all the time or that you have the curtains closed, esp if your room is facing a busy pub.

The carpark is spacious and free of charge, all that needs to be done is to entre you reg number at the reception or at the bar. Be warned though, the car reg screen asks how many days your staying and not nights i.e. 2 nights means 3 days.

All in all a decent hotel to stay for the weekend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Jessica R

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay, we are sorry there were a couple of hiccups, and when you return we hope you will see that these have been addressed.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed 1 night and the location is great. Staff very friendly, rooms spotless, really comfy bed and very peacefull nights sleep. Breakfast is superb, fresh fruit n youghurt, pastries, fully cooked brekky, Well recommended and ample parking.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Janet G

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are glad you had a good time, we look forward to seeing you again when you return to Carmarthen.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Registering for the car park is a BRILLIANT idea.  Last time we visited this system was not in place and we  had to wait to get a parking place because people had left their cars here whilst going shopping. As a paying customer of the hotel i expect to be able to park my car and applaud their new system. Basically on arrival you register your car number plate with the hotel and voila free parking. Simple! If you dont register you get a parking ticket -its not rocket science!

As for anyone complaining they did not know that they had to register......well they must either be blind or just plain stupid. We counted over 20 signs in the car park alone explaining about registering your car – they were literally every couple of metres! Then when entering the hotel there is a screen at reception as well as the bar area for you to log-in to. On top of that every table in the lounge, bar, conservatory and restaurant has a notice reminding people to register. I really cannot see what else the hotel can do to drum the information into people.

Anyway...moving on....the hotel.

It doesn't look much from the outside but inside is much better. I think it has been decorated since our last visit and all areas look clean and smart. Our room was a good size and on the first floor. My biggest issue with our stay would have to be the fact that the very large window did not have any nets and so anyone  in the car park merely had to look up slightly to see into our room. I didn’t realise that at first until walking semi naked from the bathroom I saw a group of  people walking past and randomly  looking up at our window - I  had to throw myself to the floor to prevent giving them a free show! We solved the issue my draping the spare duvet over the window to prevent onlookers – not the best solution. Rooms on the ground floor had nets why not ours?

They also need to update their ‘in-room’ brochure as it states that the TV has 6 channels – this is not the case – it has a full range of freeview  channels available. Also nowhere in the brochure (or anywhere in the hotel) did it state they had a well equipped gym and steam room. If I hadn't looked at their website before hand i would never have known.

Wifi- worked on my Samsung phone but my husbands iPhone could not find the signal, (but we could both pick up the signal from the Spillman hotel across the road! )

No plug socket on my side of the bed (its rare to find a hotel that caters to both partners in a bed lol)

The bed was two singles joined together and the retaining strap holding them together had broken so the beds tended to separate during the night. My husband said he didn't have a great nights sleep and woke with an aching back. I slept like a log.

I must say that we were staying with a Living Social deal and regardless of any problems it was excellent value! For £79 we had a double room with breakfast, a free bottle of prosecco in our room on arrival, and afternoon tea and a 3 course meal each!!!

The buffet breakfast was better than expected, the sautéd potatoes and mushrooms were gorgeous and the sausage and bacon were really good too. The black pudding was overdone but you cant have it all. Our afternoon tea consisted of a couple of slightly dry sandwiches and a small pavlova. I would have been miffed had we paid for it as it was a bit of a joke to call it an Afternoon Tea but as I say as it was included so I can’t really complain. Our evening meal was good and bad (I have left a separate review for the hotels restaurant and so will not reiterate here )

So basically a bit of a mixed bag. We stayed at the Spillman Hotel across the road the night before and the room there was better for several reasons but to be honest I would still happily return to the Ivy ( but maybe bring my own nets next time )

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kyla P

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are glad that all in all you enjoyed your stay, most of the points you raised are in the process of being dealt with or have already been dealt with, as all the hotel bedrooms are being redecorated throughout 2014 and 2015. As said before we are glad you enjoyed your stay and we do take all comments seriously. With regards to your comment on the parking, We have now posted pictures of all the signs in the car park and in the hotel, as it is quite a common complaint that there are not any signs regarding the parking.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had our Wedding Reception here on June 14th 2014.The staff were very helpful,hard working always pleased to help.The food,which was a Carved Buffet,was excellent,all guests were extremely happy with the food.The table layout was very good (we did our own decorations). We recommend The Ivy Bush very highly for any party reception.
There is one little downfall,which is the carpark,You MUST put your registration number into the Computer at recepion,Double check that you have done this,one of our guests did put into computer,but still got a parking ticket for £60-100. So beware regarding this
On the whole The Ivy Bush is Great :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank karen c

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are glad you and your family had such a great time, we at the Ivy Bush pride ourselves on making wedding days a real occasions, that you and all you family and friends will remember for a long time.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Ivy Bush Royal with my family.
I found the hotel very clean and tidy with helpful and attentive staff
the food was excellent and the hotel is conveniently placed for lots of the tourist attractions in South Wales.
all in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CPJ2013
Ivy B, Front Office Manager at The Ivy Bush Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2014

We would like to thank you for your review and are glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmarthen
Spilman Hotel
The Drovers Arms Hotel
The Drovers Arms Hotel
#5 of 7 in Carmarthen
Travelodge St Clears Camarthen

Been to The Ivy Bush Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!