“Fantastic Food”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited this restaurant two weeks ago, we were very lucky to get a table at short notice on a Saturday night. It was really hard to choose what to eat from the menu as everything sounded wonderful. The food we did choose was delicious and there were clean plates for every course! Our waitress was very helpful and we liked the open kitchen. An absolute bargain at £25 each plus BYOB. Will definitely recommend to others and will return next time we are in the area.

2  Thank Cinders59

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Great food, good choice, value for money, staff and service brilliant - can accommodate food allergies. BYOB. Only open Thurs- Sat evenings.

1  Thank steph h
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Visited on the evening May 24th 2014 as a Birthday meal for my husband,had to book well in advance to ensure they had a table and we were so very pleased with our 1st experience. Staff made us feel very welcome and willing to put our wine in the fridge to keep cool. The whole meal was outstanding but I have to mention the beef it was so tender, we have no doubt we will be returning in the near future.

2  Thank janetCarmarthen
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We had been told that this was a restaurant worth visiting but "Cafe" and my last experience of "Bring Your Own Wine" as a student a very long time ago meant it was not high on the priority list. The fact that I couldn't get a table for two weeks started to change my perception. The actual experience was incredible and surpassed all expectations: we have eaten in restaurants with Michelin stars, but the food was better than anything we have experienced before, and at nearly a third of the price AND for 3 courses (£25 per head, and NO corkage). The menu is changed every few weeks or so, and, again, we both had difficulty choosing what to eat (usually we find that there is only one or two things that are of interest, but everything on the menu was sublime). I had Pea & Truffle Soup to start, followed by Confit Welsh Black Beef Daube, Caramelised Shallots, Truffled Pommes Puree, Red Wine Sauce. My wife chose the Swansea Smoked Salmon, Buttered Crumpet, Cream Cheese, Lemon, Red Onion, Capers, followed by Roast Rump of Welsh Lamb, Salse Verde, Puree Butternut Squash, Haricot Bean and Chorizo. We shared a Cheese Board for dessert that was by far the best cheese board we have ever enjoyed in a restaurant (complete with Bara Brith and Honey to complement the cheese!). I am at a complete loss to find suitable words to describe the food. It was delicious and really did melt in the mouth. The service, provided by by Jodie and Shauna, was also excellent and complemented the meal and helped make the overall experience quite special. How many times have you sat in a restaurant and wondered when someone is going to come and take your order? Or had a waiter/waitress interrupt you to ask if everything is ok when you least want to be interrupted? Not in Cafe No 4. Jodie and Shauna are almost intuitively attentive. Perfect.
Our table was booked for 7pm. We left at 930pm. Relaxing, beyond excellent in terms of value, and quality of cooking and presentation that would not be out of place in the best Michelin restaurants! (apparently they cannot be considered for a Michelin star because they don't have a licence to serve alcohol?). A real diamond of a find in my home town. Pity they're only open Thurs to Sat inc (although on 6th July they'll be opening for Sunday lunches at The Old Curiosity Restaurant, 20A King Street, Carmarthen, 01267 232384). Complaints? None, other than the seat, which was quite unforgiving after more than 2 hours, but that was actually when we realised we'd been there so long! Ray & Pauline S

2  Thank Ray S
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Visited the cafe in march with my partner and booked well in advance. We arrived early and gave the waiter our bottle to open so it could breath and the gladly accepted. We came back to eat an hour later and where shown to our table. They brought or wine and menus we ordered starters I had a duck rillet and it was a very satisfactory starter and tasted good. We were given time for our mains where I ordered a braised pork belly with beans pork & beans and not the ordinary tasted amzing pork braised to perfection full of flavour and the creamed beans were a beautiful compliment to the dish. The dessert was the star a trio of chocolate now iv had fondant and moose before and they tasted good but the chocolate delice was a sight and taste of pure amazement well done on setting a delice a french patissere would of been happy well done at the cafe the service was also very good and warm the only thing bad was our choice of wine. I will be back

1  Thank jimm w