“Worth the money.”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cookstown
ballynahinch
“Worth the money.”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The staff were friendly and polite and accommodating enjoyed my stay here. Would stay again no problems big breakfast included in price. They contacted taxis and recommended places to see and things to do. They don't rush you out of your room in the morning.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank jmanji1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The Royal Hotel has a very nice lobby and lovely dining room. The food is quite good and the service is excellent. The hotel is just down the street from the bus station and a block from the main street.
The small single room that I had looked over the flat roof and some discarded bathroom equipment resting there...not so nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here for one night on business, our office having arranged for us to stay here to give us parking for our van, a good night's sleep and some breakfast before our early start.

Firstly on arrival we were told that while they could unlock the gate to the little alley to park our van, they wouldn't recommend it as it is right outside the nightclub. The receptionist pulled a face at the potential safety of the van in that location, so we left it on the road outside the hotel, thinking it's not particularly safer in either place but at least there it's less hassle to get to it.

On arrival in our rooms I found mine had been recently decorated, which is nice except not at all to my taste but that wouldn't matter as long as it was comfortable and clean. The bed was fairly comfortable, but the room still felt unclean, particularly as it stank of drains. The others in my group reported their rooms did not look like they had been decorated for many many years, with loose fittings and tired old furniture.

We failed to find anywhere in the town to eat for the evening so ended up back in the hotel pub. The food was mediocre and overpriced, and the staff looked miserable. I don't blame them... if every member of staff is miserable looking then surely something is wrong with the employer.

During the night I was woken up by a disgustingly loud digital alarm clock going off at 1 am. I actually thought at first that it was the fire alarm and that I had to evacuate the building. It is not an understatement to say it was terrifying. More on this later...

On check-in the evening we arrived we were asked what time we would like breakfast, and I explained we were leaving early. This would not be a problem the receptionist said and sure enough when we arrived for breakfast the room had clearly just been set up ready for us. The man serving was also miserable, but then it was early, but then it is his job! The breakfast was mediocre.

On checkout I wanted to pay, of course, and a very harassed and surly woman told me this would not be possible as the card machine was not switched on yet. After a lot of sighing and frantically moving random sheets of paper around the counter, huffing and telling me this was not convenient and that the lady the previous night really shouldn't have told us we'd be able to check out at that time ("oh I know who THAT was" the receptionist snapped), eventually we were able to pay and check out and leave. We were late for work.

Absolutely NO apology was given for this situation, I was made to feel it was my fault and the other receptionist's fault and it was all terribly inconvenient for this lady who had only just arrived for work. If she was that harassed on arrival before I even spoke to her, who knows how she would have dealt with the rest of the day. When I mentioned the drain smell, she told me I ought to be grateful I was in a newly decorated room. I told her that when I took a shower, dirty water had flooded back from the overflow and onto my feet. She simply said that shouldn't be the case because it's a new room and nobody else has reported a problem. When I mentioned the alarm clock, and that this should perhaps be checked before new guests checked in, she snapped back that the clock is brand new, again like I should be grateful to have it. To be honest when I'd entered the room I hadn't even noticed it, so why would I know to check it for an alarm?

All of these things I mentioned not as complaints, but as feedback, so that at least the next guest might not have to put up with them, and in turn she wouldn't have to put up with complaints form them, but she seemed to think that my very presence was an irritation and a confrontation. I'm known for being calm and nice to a fault, so really, I can promise I was not looking for a fight here!

I was terribly relieved to leave.

Room Tip: Any room in another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
12 Thank RoaringFireplace
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We spent two nights in Royal Hotel and found the staff to be extremely friendly and attentive to all our needs. As we had booked bed and breakfast only the choice of food for breakfast was great and very good value for money. The bar snacks are excellent and delivered by friendly staff with a sense of humour!! The rooms are very clean and comfortably, our room was to the front of the building and I was surprised that the noise level from local traffic and people leaving at the end of the night did not disturb me at all. The main bar itself is full of characters and a fun place for a good night out, all in all I would not hesitate in going back to the Royal Hotel or recommending the place to others. All main amenities are a short walk from the hotel.
Alan Dickson (The Papa?)

Room Tip: If you want away from any noise or traffic, book something to the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GlasgowDixie
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I visited in May. Helen, who seemed to look after every aspect of the hotel, made booking simple, a pleasure and always got back to me quickly.

Complicated travel arrangements meant that I arrived well after the pre-arranged checking time and well beyond the restaurant closing time. However she arranged for the full menu to be made available - as well as a well stocked bar.

Throughout the weekend stay I was extended a warm welcome, encouraged to travel beyond the hotel for food and made very welcome at an excellent "disco" that catered for all tastes - and there were plenty. Were I to have to make issue it would be that the bathrooms are small. However they have excellent showers with copious hot water.

It was far better than reviews I read and, while it could and should not be ranked as a 5-star establishment it is a super value for money, clean, friendly and welcoming hotel. I have no hesitation in recommending it to sensible fair-minded folk who value good food, craic and a comfortable bed and shower.

Ask for Helen.

Room Tip: There is a disco but it was over when is retired so I can't say which room(s) are best. The mai...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed in the Royal on the 16th May. for a friends party. From the moment you walk in the door you will find friendly helpful staff. Had our evening meal in the restaurant, which was very keenly priced and the portions were more than adequate.
My room was on the first floor at the front of the hotel, and was very comfortable, and even though it was facing onto the road I was surprised by the lack of noise.
Breakfast again more than ample .
I would recommend this hotel if you ever have to stay in Cookstown

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Royal Hotel was very comfortable & clean, spacious bedroom
The staff were very friendly and helpful
The food whether having breakfast or eating from the bar were excellent
Would definately stay again
Had a great time and would recommend it

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cookstown
Glenavon House Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dungannon
Silverbirch Hotel
Silverbirch Hotel
#1 of 3 in Omagh

Been to Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!