“Chips with everything....but not the edible sort!!”
Review of Brown Sugar

Brown Sugar
Ranked #24 of 46 Restaurants in Cookstown
Reviewed 2 August 2014

On a recent day trip with my elderly mum and two teenage daughters we stopped in the market town of Cookstown in hope of a decent mid-morning tea break. I parked the car in the main street and decided to walk down the street in search of a coffee shop as my mum is disabled and unable to walk far.
A few local ladies were standing in a queue at a cash point so I asked them to point me in the direction of a decent place for morning tea. They said there was a place just up the street which should be alright.
On arrival at Brown Sugar we were greeted at a counter by a staff member who said if we wanted hot food to move on down to the other counter round the side. I informed her that we just wanted tea and a biscuit/cake. She promptly set a tray onto the counter and asked what we wanted, I noticed that her uniform was a bit scruffy and thought it could do with a wash, but as we had my mum with us I said nothing to the rest of the family.
Next to my horror the waitress put two chipped plates onto the tray for my mums biscuit and daughters traybake. The plates were visibly chipped around the rims. Our tea came next and when the cups came, I couldn't belive the state of them. They were meant to be white in colour but were a grey, coffee stained colour with visible hairline cracks...unbelievable in this day and age.
Furthermore we witnessed the waitress lift a piece of breaded chicken ( which was uncovered and sitting on top of a display cabinet) with her fingers and start to eat it.!!
Needless to say we left the establishment without tea or cakes. It had cost over £8 for 4 tea and two tray bakes, but you would not risk eating or drinking in this place.
I noticed on the way out that it had a 4 hygiene rate, well that must have been a long time ago as I'm sure if a Health Inspector visited this place now it would be closed immediately.

1  Thank milliemooe

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My partner, her dad our 7 month old baby and myself went in for lunch today, I did notice on the window that it only had a hygiene rating of four however we were all Hungary and to my astonishment there were people actually sitting eating in it. There were a few things that annoyed me like no menus on the tables and the tables not cleaned after each customer, however... ROTTING CARROTS AND FRUIT placed in a display fridge. The carrots actually had white hair all over them they had to have been there for weeks, so this fridge situated right next to the salad bar were people were ordering supposed fresh sandwiches, how had nobody said anything before now. My partners father near vomited!!

2  Thank Shane M
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I eat in Brown sugar regularly top notch food and service, defiantly my favourite restaurant in town.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I have visited Brown Sugar since in opened, the owner is very friendly and makes sure she gets to know all her customers, the food for me was fantastic and exactly what I expected. Coffee is great which sets it aside from other cafés in Cookstown.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Came here for a catch up with a friend I hadn't seen in ages, the 1st two items I ordered on the menu they did not have so I had to work round their menu, my friend was served first and had ate her food before mine even came, I had the home made pasta back and it was average, when leaving the staff did not know how much I had to pay them and seemed clueless most of the time before this anyway, I wouldnt rush back.