“Well preserved Norman castle”

Carrickfergus Castle
Book In Advance
More Info
US$532.80*
and up
Private Tour: Giant's Causeway, Norman Castles...
More attraction details
Owner description: Due to the military impenetrability of this castle the town of Carrickfergus long thrived even when surrounding villages suffered defeats.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Visited the castle today with my family, nice to walk round with lots of nooks and crannies to explore. Some parts could do with maintenance, there did appear to be work going on, and the condensation on the tower windows does impede the views. I would recommend that public access to the roof of the tower is considered but the castle is still well worth a visit, combine your visit with other local attractions.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"century"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The castle is in remarkable shape considering it was constructed in the early 1100s. They try to keep the rooms as they were back then and I think they did an excellent job. I loved it so much I went twice during our vacation.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Couldn't agree more with the previous reviewer - I think this review says it all and I completely agree with all the points made.
We did enjoy our visit here - the castle is magnificent with some interesting history, views out to sea are great and we enjoyed strolling around the little marina after our visit. I thought it was a bit pricey for 6 of us to enter, we explored all the nooks and crannies, read all the notice boards, our son spent an eternity climbing on the cannons and we watched the films and had a game of giant chess but were not in there for more than about an hour.
I found the staff a bit disinterested and unfriendly, the visitor centre / shop is dull and uninspired and the cafe was shut when we were there.
There are maintenance issues for sure and the whole place just lacks something.
I wouldn't return and would only recommend if you are in Carrickfergus and find yourself with a spare half an hour. Even at that I would probably just take pictures from the outside and read a book about the history.

1  Thank Joy S
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Possibly one of the most photographed castles in Ireland, set in a superb location and with a fascinating history. It was a 'must see' for us on holiday but we left thinking it could have been so much better.

Firstly the car parking arrangements around the castle area - clear message from the authorities - get it wrong and we will penalise you heavily. If this was in central London I might agree but half of Carrickfergus looks as though it would benefit from a dramatic increase in visitors and their spending money. Why not offer free parking and a tourist friendly approach - not employing someone in a uniform with a book of penalty tickets to spoil a visitors day?

Secondly the castle itself - very friendly staff and plenty of info for visitors. A great building to wander around but the management appear to be asleep when it comes to basic maintenance at the town's premier visitor attraction.

On ascending the keep we expected to be able to get a 'bird's eye' view of the fortifications, the lough and the town. Unfortunately no access to the roof is allowed - did I travel hundreds of miles to jump off? Then on the upper floor we were met by a bucket catching the rainfall dripping from the ceiling above - various other stains suggested water ingress has been going on for some time. Then we went over to the large windows which have been fitted with double glazing units to enjoy the view - unfortunately the view was restricted as the double glazing had failed and condensation was restricting our view.

The exhibits were great, the giant chess set was enjoyed and the staff on duty were pleasant but we left thinking that the whole visitor experience could have been so much better. Note to management - you have a long way to go if you want to play in the premier division. Note to self - Ireland's history is ever more confusing after reading about all of the different groups of people who feature in the castle's history.

1  Thank Rest757