“Opportunity Lost” 4 of 5 bubbles

US$38.09*
and up
Game of Thrones Filming Locations Tour from Belfast including Giants Causeway
More attraction details
Owner description: Due to the military impenetrability of this castle the town of Carrickfergus long thrived even when surrounding villages suffered defeats.
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Opportunity Lost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This place is steeped in the history of Ireland / Ulster. One of the most important figures in Protestant culture is King William of Orange or King Billy as he is fondly remembered by the Protestants. He landed here before travelling south to defeat the Catholic King James at the Battle of the Boyne river in 1690 then seized the throne of England. With that sort of historical significance you would think more would be made of it but it is a bit desolate with its unconvincing mannequins dotted around the place and little to tell the visitor of its history. That said, it is worth a visit although it is not terribly disabled friendly.

2 Thank barrada

County Londonderry, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband spent an amazing day in carrickfergus castle, the castle was so well kept and all the staff were so helpful and friendly .... really worth a visit!!!

Limavady, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Well preserved Norman castle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Visited the castle today with my family, nice to walk round with lots of nooks and crannies to explore. Some parts could do with maintenance, there did appear to be work going on, and the condensation on the tower windows does impede the views. I would recommend that public access to the roof of the tower is considered but the castle is still well worth a visit, combine your visit with other local attractions.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great historical treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The castle is in remarkable shape considering it was constructed in the early 1100s. They try to keep the rooms as they were back then and I think they did an excellent job. I loved it so much I went twice during our vacation.

England
281 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 389 helpful votes
“Could Be Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Couldn't agree more with the previous reviewer - I think this review says it all and I completely agree with all the points made.
We did enjoy our visit here - the castle is magnificent with some interesting history, views out to sea are great and we enjoyed strolling around the little marina after our visit. I thought it was a bit pricey for 6 of us to enter, we explored all the nooks and crannies, read all the notice boards, our son spent an eternity climbing on the cannons and we watched the films and had a game of giant chess but were not in there for more than about an hour.
I found the staff a bit disinterested and unfriendly, the visitor centre / shop is dull and uninspired and the cafe was shut when we were there.
There are maintenance issues for sure and the whole place just lacks something.
I wouldn't return and would only recommend if you are in Carrickfergus and find yourself with a spare half an hour. Even at that I would probably just take pictures from the outside and read a book about the history.

1 Thank Joy S