“Good value”
Review of Loughshore Hotel

Loughshore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carrickfergus
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the HUGE carpark - I cannot see how parking will be a problem here even if there is a function going on.

First impressions count, and the building looks clean and well maintained - but the notice saying they will confiscate food/drink brought from off the premises sets a poor first impression (folk generally only do this if that available is expensive or of poor quality - having said that, there is a Lidl 50 yards away)

Checkin was smooth and efficient, it is obvious the hotel is catering for the tourist trade - there was "Titanic" souveniers available for sale at the desk.

The room was clean and well appointed (except for the quantity of toenail clippings under the bed - the cleaners obviously never move the furniture when hoovering), TV worked and the bathroom was satisfactory with dispenser style toiletries. Despite the room overlooking the carpark and there being a busy road outside the hotel, I heard nothing.

As it was late when I arrived, I had already eaten but a pint at the bar confirmed by suspicions regarding prices.

In the morning, breakfast was the usual hot / cold buffet and was quite acceptable.

Checkout was efficient and smooth - a VAT receipt was printed on request.

Would I stay again - for £45 B&B yes.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Loughshore Hotel

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Myself and my partner stayed in the clarion for the crazy couples weekend.The hotel was lovely we got a beautiful clean bedroom ,lovely big bed and plenty of nice clean towels ,we had a lovely meal in the red pepper restaurant and the music in the bar afterwards was very good the breakfast was one of the nicest i have ever had in a hotel.The staff was all very friendly and efficient at their jobs
The reason for our stay in the clarion was to consider it for our daughters wedding venue next year, we had a look around.The reception area bar and toilets were lovely first class in fact but all the rooms that would be used for wedding receptions, the walls were badly covered with dirty marks and had a lot of bluetex etc sticking to them, Also some of the ceilings in these rooms had bad stains on them as if there had been water leaks.We remarked to one of the staff how did the walls get this badly marked he said he hadn't noticed them but as we had pointed them out he agreed they were bad These rooms all badly need painted and they would be lovely..Also we had a look at the garden for photos and it would need a bit of cleaning up,a lot of green between the paving and weeds in the shrub beds,also the steps down into the garden from upstairs were very green and slippy, but if it was cleaned up it would be lovely for photos.
we are not complainers if the wedding rooms were painted and the garden cleaned it would be a beautiful hotel for our daughters wedding.Because of the paint on walls I have given it 3 for cleanness.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Hi

My husband and I booked the honeymoon suite on sat 8th march. We had got married at this hotel 3 years ago and wanted to come back for our anniversary, which is why we had booked the honeymoon suite. We arrived at 2pm to which we were told the room wasn't ready which is fine as we new check in was 3pm so we went to the lobby bar and had lunch and few drinks which was really lovely and bar service was great. At 3pm I went to check in, which to my surprise we had to pay on arrival rather than departure but again was fine.

When I got to the room I was delighted that it was the exact room from our wedding night. First problem we noticed was when we tried to open the windows they were taped up with some sort of masking tape and the other one was partially opened with draft coming in but that wasn't too bad something we could deal with. Second problem was when we went to fill the jacuzzi bath (which was the reason we had booked the room) there was a notice in the corner stating that the jacuzzi was out of order!!! This was so disappointing so I called reception (who weren't very helpful) who told me they weren't aware of the problem and went to check, when they came back they said it had been out of order from Monday and we should have been informed of this when we checked in. When I asked about another room I was told they were also booked.

This simply isn't good enough, we had enquired about the £99 crazy couples deal which included dinner but decided we really wanted the room with jacuzzi so just went with the honeymoon suite which ended up costing us £165 with dinner with no jacuzzi!

There was no real apology or any mention of our problem on checking out which I find appalling. I also emailed the hotel on Sunday when we arrived home and still haven't received an acknowledgment. I feel very let down after spending so much money on our wedding and always go as a family for Sunday carvery not to have had any response.

The lack of customer service and empathy from the receptionists was very

After a week of hearing nothing back I emailed the general manager about this matter and still no response!

Room Tip: If booking honeymoon suite make sure you ask if the jacuzzi works
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank julie-ann M
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here for 12 nights. The staff was very nice and the restaurant food was great. We had a room with king bed and it was very comfortable. The price was reasonable for the season. There are also very good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rmrlrvr
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed with 3 other couples for a night as we were heAding out in carrick checked in quickly rooms clean though they do need a freshen up bathroom tiles paint and the phone was from Noah's ark hotel needs to remember first impressions are important and staff appearance at reception was all very casual same uniform maybe would look more professional. Pillow and bed comfortable though window didn't close properly again point of being run down.. Tlc overhaul required! Breakfast was pleasantly fine. And the guy with dark hair and glasses very witty and friendly don't no his name sorry.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tanyaloui
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Once again we have just held our Annual Conference at the Clarion Hotel. We held a dinner on Friday 7th February for 70 people and a Conference the following day for 200 people. This takes some organising and I would like to say a massive thank you to Lily and Dave. I deal with Lily on the build up to Conference and Dave takes over the weekend of Conference making sure that everything runs smoothly. The food and service for both events was excellent and Dave had his usual banter with all our members. Once again a big thank you to the management and staff for making our Conference a success, we look forward to dealing with them next year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

came over from england for a friends wedding on 31st jan 2014,found the rooms excellent very clean the beds are massive i want one at home.the staff were very pleasant the breakfast very good and plentiful.or get it up to your room for 2.50.the drinks were quite expensive although you would expect that in a nice hotel.the only negative comment i have is i got 2 bowls of chips for our table and the chips were lovely but £6.50 for a few chips.stupidly priced.overall a lovely hotel with nice rooms friendly staff.would definately stay again.but wont buy the chips.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ingy26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrickfergus
Dobbins Inn Hotel
#13 of 44 in Belfast
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Loughshore Hotel? Share your experiences!