“Formed in '42, based here during World War 2”

U.S. Rangers Centre
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This attraction can be found behind the Andrew Jackson Cottage, which has a collection of uniforms, photos, documents and some other stuff, and a good way to kill 30 minutes. The two attractions go hand-in-hand, and well worth the trip up from town.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Must have a guide as she has some great real life stories of some of the Rangers featured. If visiting here you will likely also visit Andrew Jackson's Cottage. The two attractions are a great free visit and I took about 20 men to see them. We spent about 20 minutes in each with a well informed guide from the tourist office. She was deightful and I would request her again for other groups I take here. Ask her where the glasshouse restaurant is in Carrickfergus as it is 15 minutes drive from these attractions and they have some of the best scones I have tasted and similar teas. Ihave taken a men's group and a mixed walking group there already in the last few weeks. Very reasonable cost and great environment. Small art exhibition and a historical exhibition were both on at the time. Great day out if you are on a budget.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

If you visit Belfast and/or other areas of Northern Ireland, I recommend a brief stop at the US Ranger Center in Carrickfergus. The Museum is a small facility located on the grounds of President Andrew Jackson's ancestral home. The museum tells the much less known stories of the life of the US Rangers (special forces) that trained here in preparation for the June 1944 invasion of western Europe, including D-Day. The museum includes several very good displays of uniforms, weapons and equipment used by the Rangers. It also includes numerous documents, short films and photos depicting the everyday life of these American soldiers (many of whom would make the ultimate sacrifice on European battlefields) and their Irish hosts. Its a moving story.

The Ranger Center and Jackson home are free to visit. However, the hours are limited. Make sure you call ahead to confirm the opening hours. The staff was fantastic and were able to answer all our questions. (In fact, one of the ladies working there was an American from Tennessee. She had moved to Ireland several years ago!!) Plan to spend about one hour at this attraction.

Reviewed 22 September 2009

My family and I traveled to Ireland and Scotland in Aug 2007. I made it my mission to go to the city where my Ranger forefathers were selected prior to training in Achnacarry Scotland to reak havoc against the enemy on D-Day and after. There is a great collection of equipment, insignia, and photos. Thank you to all of those that dedicated the US Ranger Centre and have kept it for those of us (and all other folks) that appreciate what those brave soldiers and commandos did for ALL of us who appreciate freedom. THANK YOU! - "Angry Ranger Dave" A Co 1st / 75th Ranger Regiment - early 1990s.

1  Thank AngryRanger
Reviewed 13 May 2007

The Museum is a small touching reminder of the life of the Rangers who trained in Carrickfergus for the D-Day assault on the clifts of France on June 6, 1944. I would not it miss it if I were in the Belfast area.

Charlie Bond