All reviews felt like home comfortable rooms railway station barron betty ireland breakfast avoiding hosts
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The lady who owns the house is lovely and the house is spotlessly clean. Its about 17 pounds in a taxi from Belfast center (20 minute drive), however the train station is really close.

The problem we had with this guesthouse was how uncomfortable the beds are. They are very old, I had to lay my clothes on the bed and sleep on them to try stop the springs digging into me. The other bed in the room had an electric mattress topper so when you lay on the beds the wires of it dug into you. The mattress topper is attached to the mattress so cant be removed. The rooms were already warm and there are heavy blankets on the beds.

If you can sleep on anything, I'd recommend it as its a quiet location, with a really nice owner and its clean. For those who need a comfortable bed go elsewhere. Also there are only net curtains on the windows, at this time of the year thats fine however when the sun starts to rise earlier this could be an issue.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank catgr
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Detty is a kind lady - 85 this year! - and does her utmost to welcome her guests. It is a fairly old property and will not satisfy those looking for a modern B&B. It is priced accordingly and I think that it would take a hard heart to not take notice of the kind service, the pleasant welcome and the clean rooms.

Date of stay: November 2013
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank CF y Flia F
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Stayed for 7 nights and enjoyed every one. Betty is a lovely old lass and made us feel welcome from the outset .The room was clean and had good views over Belfast Lough. Free wifi throughout. Traditional Ulster Fry was a treat at breakfast time.
Even the cats and kittens around the farmhouse were friendly :-)

Date of stay: September 2013
2  Thank Sam R
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great old farmhouse that overlooks Belfast Lough. Very gracious hostess. We could watch the sailboats in the evening, looking over the grazing sheep on the sloping field. Convenient to Carrickfergus, sites, restaurants, as well as an easy train ride into Belfast.

Date of stay: May 2013
2  Thank 617erinc
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We had many fantastic b&bs in Ireland, but I have to say, that this one was my favourite :) VERY friendly owner, very clean, comfortable rooms. Lots of towels, wi fi, TV and tea in the room. I wish we had stayed longer. I loved the sheep in the front view, and if you are so inclined as I am towards animals, there were little kittens hidden on the property. If you aren't so inclined, you wouldn't even know they were there. Thank you!

Date of stay: August 2013