Finn McCool's Giants Causeway Hostel
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
The Fullerton Arms(Ballycastle)
View Hotel
All reviewshot breakfastbed dormfree breakfastgiants causewaydriver markconverted houseminute walkwould definitely stay here againgame of throneswalking distancerope bridgecommon areastea and coffeevisitor centercomfortable roomsthe pubnorthern ireland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Amazing hostel- clean, friendly, great location. So close to the giants causeway! We found navigating the area without a car a little difficult, but it is doable. Highly recommend. Very comfortable, with lovely handmade wooden bunks. A great hostel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

What i found out in ireland... Some hostels make you feel like being home. So does this one!
A nice place with beautiful views from the wintergarden and kitchen.. And the 6 bed dorm.. I woke up with the view on the cliffs and the sea, the giants causeway just a few hundred meters away.
If you re heading here, just let the busdriver know (you probably come with the causeway rambler or the 172), he ll drop you out infront of the hostel. Or get out at giants causeway and walk down the road a 100m and you re there. Great thing bout the location: you can go for a walk to the causeway in the evening, when the tourists are gone. I had it for myself last week :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 August 2013

It’s something between hostel and hotel. Price definitely as in the hostel, but facilities will be closer to the cheap hotel. You only need your own towels. You can see the entrance to Giant's Causeway from the garden. We were able to do our own BBQ in the garden. In the kitchen you able to find anything you need to prepare your cold or warm meal. There is a customer’s fridge as well. The night was much more quite that I would expect from hostel. Anyone who stays there is to go to visit Giant's Causeway or just coming back from there, so no wonder everyone is tired in the evening. I would not take there kids younger than 5 years old.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Monakijka
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Everything was perfect !! Friendly and funny staff providing a warm welcome, everything you need and even more !! We had a free barbecue and an evening chatting all together, it was very nice. Very clean and new rooms, big common rooms, making you feel like sitting around and meeting new people. The location allows you to go to the Giant's Causeway to see the sunset. I had a wonderful time there and I would definitely recommend this hostel !!

Room Tip: I travelled alone and I wanted the cheapest trip possible so I slept in a dorm room, and it was great !
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank FrenchCsu
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I was just over halfway through a 15,000 kilometre trek (by car) from Moscow, Russia and back there, via England. My mother had urged me to visit Giant's Causeway on the tip of Northern Ireland, which she had visited many years earlier (I believe almost 30 years!), if ever I got the chance. I decided this was my chance, as it was my first - and so far - my only trip to Ireland.

The weather was a glorious Irish summer day… pouring with rain, temperature was a balmy 7°C (44.6°F) on June 30th 2012, with a gorgeous summer sky of solid grey! It was about 19:40 and I was a trifle tired, needing a B & B for the night. My problem was that my computer had been stolen in Spain 10 days earlier, and I had cancelled all my credit cards, as my financial info was contained therein! All I had had were a free hundred Euros and had been on my way to Madrid, then Gibraltar, followed by Portugal, again Spain, France and then ferry to Eire (Ireland!).

Knocking on the door in the still deluging summer dampness, I waited for about 8or nine minutes, before the door opened, revealing an American dialected man who enquired as to how he might be of assistance. I expressed my need of lodgings, explaining that I was extremely limited as to funds, having run out of all except about £5.70 in cash, but did, fortunately, have the new visa card information, that my Mother (to whose house I was going 3 days later, in England) had phoned to me 2 days earlier!

I told him that I could get cash, but not until the banks opened the next day (as it was Sunday). He said that there were no rooms made up, and the food supplies were not that good, as there were a couple of people staying there and he had not stocked up. Poor season to that date!

I offered to drive to the village (Bushmills) and pick up a few supplies, if he wished, if I was able to spend the night there. 7-8°C is NOT very warm to spend in a car! He decided, for some reason, that he liked me and accepted my offer. In I went and we agreed to price, etc., which he discounted for me, as I was helping him, too!

I was introduced to the other travellers, four altogether, all youngish student types, from the US, Finland and France, but all spoke English. They were sitting in the dining area (See owner's photo) having absorbed the evening meal/barbecue results! I was wearing shorts and as I walked in, I excused my gorgeous bar legs (I am 69 yrs old) as I introduced myself. Fortunately, everyone laughed, it broke the ice, and we yakked all night. I was given some food gratis! Very hospitable, indeed.

My room had four bunks in it, but very clean and carpeted wall-to-wall, without drafts and the windows opened just a little for ventilation. I was given the room to myself, as each of the others also had their own rooms. I was told I could have either shower or bath and breakfast would be at about 8:00, as no-one needed or wanted to be off that early! I slept very well and awoke fresh and rested.

I left at about 7:15 the following morning, after having determined who wanted what for breakfast the night before, (he had no milk in!), I drove to the Coop, in Bushmills, and purchased the supplies with the last of my cash, retuning to fresh faces of the other guests. Coffee had already been on and the water boiled ready for tea (my choice).

A "full Irish" breakfast was cooked and presented hot and appetisingly, into which we all dived hungrily. Music was playing, according to the choice of the guests (we all agreed) and we discussed our destinations, plans and what-have-you, before departing on our travels, once more.

For the money, it was one of the most enjoyable experiences for me, in spite of the really miserable weather. The place was not at all damp and very clean, smelled really good, and had a warm atmosphere for all. Our host was very pleasant and catered to all our needs, with a smile!

I recommend this place to ANYONE who would like to spend some time walking the Giant's Causeway, or simply an inexpensive night in "hostel" accommodations. A great place… you should not be disappointed!

Room Tip: depending on occupancy rates!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo