“Lovely hotel -warm and welcoming”
Review of Causeway Hotel

Causeway Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bushmills
County Down, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel -warm and welcoming”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My son and I stayed at the Causeway Hotel for 1 night and it was a very enjoyable experience. Despite the never ending rain, the hotel offered a comfortable and cosy place to stay close to all the tourist sites. Literally steps away from the Giant's Causeway and complimentary tickets to the visitors centre were greatly appreciated. The room (number 7) was nicely decorated and comfortable with a nice view of the sea from one of the windows. We ate in the restaurant that evening and the food was tasty and plentiful. Waiting staff were attentive and friendly. Tge next morning, breakfast did not disappoint either.

I have read other reviews on tripadvisor, some of which made complaints over very minor issues. I have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world and at times the service and accommodation has not just been up to scratch. Rightly so I complained as I expect a high level of service etc when staying in 5 star hotels and when I am paying an awful lot more than I was charged at the Causeway. The hotel offers good value for money and for a three star hotel offers an excellent place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 7 is lovely and nicely furnished
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Elliemay3006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My husband, daughter and I stayed here overnight to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We had room 28 which is right at the end of the corridor and has great views out of the windows and from the large patio area. The dinner that night was delicious. I had the steak, fantastic, husband had steak burger, massive and tasty, daughter had sausages, happy child. All waiting staff were attentive and very pleasant. The bar staff that evening were chatty and welcoming. Breakfast was great. Overall, friendly staff, great rooms, fantastic food. Would highly recommend this hotel for a short break.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Portstewart, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My daughter was married on the 09/08/2014 with the reception at the Causeway Hotel and I can only describe the whole experience as excellent. The staff are incredibly, naturally, friendly right through from the cleaning staff, waiters and waitresses, bar staff, chef and of course the managers. Initially dealing with Kelly, who has now moved on across the road, and latterly with Richard and Lee I cannot express how professional and accommodating they were. The level of attention couldn't have been surpassed, the meal was excellent, the rooms were brilliant and of course the location is unbeatable, especially when the sun shines. I know it may appear a bit biased but I am sure other reviewers not related to the bride would agree that the whole event couldn't have been bettered. Once again I have to reiterate that it is the staff that really make this place special and the National Trust are very lucky to have them all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mark16613
Shropshire
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I visited this hotel at the beginning of August 2014 with my wife, my daughter and her boyfriend. Without doubt the location is stunning, we had sea views and one of our rooms had a balcony. The views were great, the rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. We had dinner in the restaurant, the food was good, the staff were friendly and accommodated all of our requests.
The cooked breakfast was great and reasonably priced. Although they didn't advertise it we were given vouchers to the Causeway Visitor Centre when we checked out.

On the down side - the hotel charged the sort of rates that I would expect to pay in a 4 star business hotel in most European cities but it failed to deliver the kind of service I would expect from a business hotel. They may seem petty but there were a number of things that could easily be corrected and would lift the hotel closer to the price bracket it is in -

> Key cards - the hotel seems to have been recently refurbished yet they still have door keys with cumbersome wooden tags.

> WiFi - the hotel seems to use the WiFi from the Causeway Centre next door, my room was on the opposite side and I had no WiFi in the room.

> Breakfast - although the cooked breakfast was great the cold breakfast was left uncovered on a table with no chilling and sun shining directly on it. We were one of the first for breakfast and the salmon and cooked ham was already dried out in the sun.

> OK it's a small point but the use of A4 pages printed and stuck on doors just adds to an unprofessional feeling to the hotel.

>Perhaps more serious we found two fire doors wedged open by cleaning staff in the morning

> It probably helped my cholesterol levels but where did the famous Causeway Hotel mixed grill go to?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank agalashn
Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

The staff at the hotel were welcoming, helpful and efficient. The room was one of the most spacious I have ever had, which is good if you want to do yoga and stretch out after a day's cycling. The other welcome sight was a bath in the ensute! The hotel restaurant was top notch. The view from the window was beautiful, though not of the qctual Giant's Causeway. Despite being located by a major tourist attraction, it wqs peaceful and quiet in the room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola D
ireland
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed here for one night with family.
Lovely hotel. Location ideal for causeway visit. Room comfortable. Small patio outside room ideal to view causeway from. Breakfast and dinner were enjoyable. Good selection. Staff helpful. I'd love to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Checked in on a saturday afternoon for a weekend away with my partner. On arrival to the carpark we spoke to the carpark attendant who was very nice and helpful. At the reception desk was also a pleasant man who told us all the nenecessary info we needed to know. We also got given free passes for the causeway
Centre. Our room was spacious, nicely decorated and clean. The only let down was that the wardrobe doors were lose and creaked every time you moved, also the view was of the backyard of the hotel where all the bins are. We booked in for dinner at 8 and were seated promptly in the dining area, we asked to be moved to the bar area as the dining area was quiet, little atmosphere and our fellow diners were very close. We got moved to a small table in the corner of the bar which was very low and hard to sit at in the chairs privided. Dinner was served promptly and was of good quality. One of the waiters in particular seemed flustered, he tried to take away our plates before we were done, forgot about our coffees, charged our coffees to someone else at the bar. He seemed tired/overworked. We drank in the bar a few more times and the staff were friendly and attentive although one member was giving the other staff orders/instructions, about what needed done over the heads of customers which I askes think is professional. The breakfast was lovely the first morning although the second morning we came down at 9.30 (breakfast finished at 10) and there was little left on the buffet and it wasn't replenished even though there was half and hour left. Also on the first night a family came in at 8.45pm and asked for a dinner menu only to be told the kitchen was closed. I think they maybe should have tried to facilitate him as it was a saturday night and turning away custom doesnt look good. Overall our experience was good and we would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fattie1991
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushmills
The Bushmills Inn Hotel
#2 of 5 in Coleraine
The Fullerton Arms
The Fullerton Arms
#1 of 2 in Ballycastle

Been to Causeway Hotel? Share your experiences!