“Lovely place to stay with excellent host”

Ballylinny Holiday Cottages
“Lovely place to stay with excellent host”
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Everything was excellent for our family. Large spaces with everything we needed. The owner was execelent and help us with anything we needed (which wasn't much). thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank PeteShea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brisbane
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My husband, father and I stayed in Wee Stookan for one week in July 2011. This was our first trip to NI (from Australia) and I wanted to stay in a cottage close to the Causeway Coast to use as a base for exploring. It turned out to be better than I had expected.

I spoke with Alan the owner & host via telephone on two occasions to book and make payment and he followed up promptly with emails to confirm our discussions. Upon arrival he wasn't in (he left a note for us) and upon calling he returned quickly to show us around the cottage and explain the heating system which was easy to use.

The cottage was great and had all the major items you need to be self sufficient, eg washing machine, dishwaher, small fridge, hairdryer, tv, linen, clothes airer, vacuum cleaner, jug, toaster, microwave, oven and crockery etc. The cottage was quiet considering it is attached to a larger cottage. Even though it was summer, it was a bit chilly at night and early morning; although using the heating solved this problem.

The view from Wee Stookan looks out towards the Causeway Hotel and Coast and is unforgettable. The BBQ table out front makes a great place to sit, have a drink of wine, some snacks, read a book and gaze out upon the wonderful scenery. That view is etched in my memory.

Alan was a most friendly and helpful host.

Some points to consider:
*The cottages are situated next to a working farm. If you don't mind mooing cows and the odd fly they attract then you won't have a problem. The cows only came up to the fence line occasionally so this is a minor consideration.
*You need to bring all the basics, eg sugar, toilet paper, salt, washing powder etc. I must admit I didn't think about this beforehand but you can easily purchase these items in Bushmills. There are 3 small supermarkets and one of them is open until 10pm.
*There is no telephone in the cottage. This could be a good or bad thing.
*Unlike a hotel, you will need to clean up after yourself before vacating the cottage. If you leave the cottage in a mess, Alan will charge a cleaning fee which is fair enough. I must have cleaned up successfully as I wasn't charged a fee.
*For winter visitors, there is a gas fire, charged at an hourly rate.
*The location is brilliant. It is only a short drive to Bushmills. If you are fit & mobile, you can walk from the cottage to the Giant's Causeway.

Overall, we had a good time and I would recommend staying here to anyone who wants a nice place to stay while exploring the Coastal region.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jahonholiday
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We went to Ballylinney cottages as a suprise gift from my children to celebrate my 60th birthday. The children were a little disappointed as the accommodation is advertised as 5*. Most of the essentials for modern living were provided except for a hairdryer, oven gloves were missing and we requested some more towels and a dishcloth which were willingly provided. It would have been helpful if washing powder had been provided as I didnt think of bringing any on a two night break! Dishwasher tablets were provided. A welcoming tray with teabags, some biscuits and milk in the fridge would have been a great start as my children and husband had travelled directly from work. We were bringing two grandchildren so perhaps some juice...all little things but would just have made it all seem more of a 5* place!! The cottage wasn't particularly clean, though the beds and towels were fine. The bath towels I think shoud be bath sheets for 5*. The curtains throughout the accommodation had shrunk and linings were longer! Having said all this the weather, views and friendliness of Alan Lavery was outstanding ( I spoke to Alan prior to departure and all my points were noted) . Perhaps after a refurbishment we would all return.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Margaret B
BELFAST, N. IRELAND
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My husband and I just had two days staying in one of the two loft apartments - it was just fabulous. Finished and furnished to a very high standard - and with a view to die for!
We have had the pleasure to stay at Ballylinny regularly over twelve years and over that period of time have stayed in each and every cottage - we have never been disappointed with the standard of accommodation or the welcome we have received from the owner Alan. You are within walking easy reach of the Giants Causeway, and easy driving distance from Bushmills, Portrush and the other coastal villages along the way - and only about 20 mins from the town of Coleraine.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA, USA
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Ballylinny cottages are in an area with lovely views of the gorgeous Antrim coast. They are a 15 min walk or few minutes drive to some of the loveliest beaches that I've seen, its a great location. A 10-15 min walk will take you to a lovely pub, The Nook, just at the Giant's Causeway which is a super sight. 5 min walk is a tiny steam railway that our kids loved. The cottages are in a cluster but despite proximity to other cottages feel private and we didn't have noise issues. They are simply furnished but with everything you need (e.g. hairdryers, hoover, washing machines...) - think whitewashed walls and pine floors rather than flowery carpets/curtains and nic-nacs. If you want lovely scenary, great walking and beaches and a clean uncluttered house to come home to, this is for you. Alan, the owner is super, extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank SarahCSBoston_MA_USA
Belfast
Reviewed 1 September 2009

We stayed the August bank holiday weekend at Ballylinny cottages. The cottage we stayed in was well maintained, comfortable, clean and had all the services and appliances you could hope for in a self catering cottage. The scenery was beautiful and the location in relation to all the local attractions was superb. The village of Bushmills is under 2 miles away should you need anything during your stay. I would highly recommend these cottages to anyone interested in a break on the North Coast. The manager / owner Alan is friendly and couldn't be more helpful.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FionaRice
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I visited Ballylinny Cottages as part of a group of 14 friends visiting Ireland. The cottages provided an excellent base for seeing the Causeway Coast region. Located within easy walking distance of the Atlantic, the Giant’s Causeway, and the town of Bushmills, the cottages have plenty of room, contain most modern appliances, and are very neat.

The manager, Alan Laverty, proved to be very helpful to us on several occasions (including upgrading us to larger cottages as our group grew in size). The only drawbacks we had were with the wireless internet on site (sometimes a little spotty with reception—but it was for no extra charge) and the washer/dryer—the machine washed well, but had to be one of the slowest dryers in the world.

If you are looking for clean, spacious accommodations in a relaxed setting for a reasonable price, I highly recommend Ballylinny Cottages. I have been there twice and thoroughly enjoyed both visits.

• Stayed May 2009
3 Thank HeelDawg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bushmills
Causeway Hotel
Finn McCool's Giants Causeway Hostel
Carnside Guest House
Carnside Guest House
#10 of 27 in Bushmills

Been to Ballylinny Holiday Cottages? Share your experiences!