“four star hotel!!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Templepatrick
Dromore, United Kingdom
“four star hotel!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

stayed saturday night 30/08/2014 as we were attending wedding function in a neighbouring hotel expected four star facillities but what we experienced was definately well below par etc uncomfortable hard lumpy beds /no dressed duvet covers/tired worn bedroom furniture and surroundings/breakfast buffet was very poor /also no complementary newspapers standard four star requirement/no complementary biscuits in bedrooms/overall very disatisfied with our overnight experience only plus was good leisure facillities

Room Tip: rooms require major upgrading and modernisation
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Templepatrick, Manager at Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for your feedback Ray502014.

I value your comments and feedback regarding your stay which I will appropriately review and address with our team

I would like to thank you again for choosing Hilton Templepatrick and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Very spacious hotel rooms, with an excellent spa, gym and pool. Food was simple and very good. I would recommend for a relaxing break for 1 to 3 nights and if you are a keen golfer then this absolutely perfect. The staff were very efficient and courteous. I will be booking a longer break next time.

Location
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Fishcakes2
Thank you for your feedback.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Derry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Spent last night in this hotel (29/8/2014) and I will never again return to it. Where do I even start??

We checked in just after 4.30pm and were allocated room 283 on the second floor. Upon arrival of the room we noticed there were two single beds (which creaked loudly and were hard as rocks) and no travel cots - despite specifying upon booking that two travel cots were necessary. I rang down to reception and informed them of the lack of travel cots. I was told by reception staff, that due to booking through a third party (lastminute.com), the hotel were not responsible in that they had not been informed of our wanting a doubled bed and needing two travel cots. The receptionist said that she would rectify this matter and one travel cot was sent up, so we were still one travel cot short.

There was a wedding in the hotel and some of the guests were next door to us. We discovered this through their shouting and screaming (that was the pitch they discussed the wedding at) about the wedding. The shouting and screaming continued and with two young infants due to go to sleep at 8.30 pm, I rang down (again) and asked If we could be moved to another room and I stated the reasons for this were due to noise, not enough cots for both of the babies and the beds being two single beds. I was informed by reception that there were no other rooms available and the cot would shortly be delivered. Half an hour later I had to again ring down to reception and I asked to speak to the manager. I was put through to another member of reception staff instead of a manager. I complained again as the noise level was extremely loud between shouting, screaming and the wall was either being kicked or a door being banged off it by the wedding guests in the adjoining room. By that stage then we had endured enough and decided that we wanted to just check out and go home because we were both tired and distressed with the situation. We informed the receptionist of our intention to leave and requested for a manager to be sent up to the room as quickly as possible so we could voice our complaint to them directly and so that they could witness for themselves first hand the level of noise and disruption we were subjected to. The manager came up to the room and we explained calmly and politely the issues and our intention to leave. He was very nice about the situation and apologised and offered us another room on the first floor (111). However again the room had only twin beds (which again were like rocks) instead of a double bed. The manager (Christopher) was professional in that he apologised for the noise and the breakdown in communication regarding the cots. He sent us up a bottle of wine & a cheese board as a gesture of goodwill in addition to an extra hour for check out. He arranged for one of the cots to come up and another was brought up after that. There was however no sheet or blanket for the cot and we had to ring down to reception yet again for the sheet and blanket for the second cot.

We didn't get to sleep all night because the beds were so hard and creaky, not at all comfortable or suitable to sleep on. We went down to breakfast and the restaurant had a few people in it. We asked the restaurant manager for a high hair for the youngest child and she said she would get one. That never happened.. I ended up after 20 minutes walking around the restaurant myself looking for a high chair which I found eventually. The food was just okay, there was nothing appealing about the presentation of it as some of it was in large lidded pots with tissue stuck to the top to prevent diners from burning themselves off the handles. The variety was okay just, not what I expected of a 4* standard at all.

We went to the leisure centre for a swim and again for a 4* hotel, it was nothing more than a health club. The towels were threadbare and the pool itself had no baby pool. The changing rooms were tired and in desperate need of some attention.

To give a quick rundown:

The beds - As hard as bricks, uncomfortable and creaky with the springs poking through mattress and mattress topper. Would not recommend it to sleep on at all.

Food - £15 for a chicken Caesar salad?? .... Considering the poor standard of the breakfast, I was relieved we had dined in a nearby restaurant instead of paying for overpriced low standard food. The reviews from other diners regarding the food in stating that it's overpriced and below standard is accurate.

Wifi - Disaster!!! I cannot imagine how business conferences are held here if they need to use the internet. How the hotel can charge for wifi when the connection is a complete joke is beyond me.

The only pluses I could say was that the golf course looked nice, the manager tried to help but for dealing with customers who had experienced such a bad time.. There was no follow up on checking that everything was in the room (extra bedding for the second cot had to be re-requested) to try and make things better.

We had come up to this allegedly 4* hotel for a relaxing overnight break to have a family weekend break in Belfast and it was a complete nightmare. We ended up leaving just after 11 am and going straight home instead of going into Belfast and surrounding area as we were exhausted from lack of sleep and just totally deflated after staying here. I would not recommend it and would say that 2 * is a more accurate rating.

5 Thank Nicjonmac2908
N Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I stayed at this lovely hotel over the August bank holiday weekend.
I was very impressed with all the staff especially Andrew, Marcus and Christopher who went the extra mile to make my husband and me feel welcome and have a laugh and joke with us.
We were with a coach trip and in previous hotels there was a different level of service ( poor ) towards coach trip guest and other guests, however at this hotel there was no difference at all.
The rooms were comfortable and the grounds of the hotel are very well maintained
There were some minor issues however it was a fantastic .weekend.
I couldn't believe the negative comments that some people have written about this wonderful hotel they must be nit picking fuss pots.

1 Thank RossiNWales
Thank you for your feedback.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time with us in August and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

The hotel was clean, staff was friendly, even though it was quite a busy weekend for them. They accommodated our family of 6 with two double rooms with the sofa beds made up and ready to go. They brought towels and water when requested. Beds seems to be typical in Ireland - hard as a rock, but typical.

1 Thank Mike R
Thank you for your feedback.

I am delighted to learn that you and your family enjoyed your time with us in August and that we looked after you well.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

I'd forgotten how unlike the other Hiltons this one is. Just a cold, unfriendly place which doesn't know if it caters to the business or leisure market. Shocked at having to pay £15 for WiFi in room - daylight robbery. Wouldn't cost too much for them to put some wifi access points on each floor and provide a usable system. Really noisy plumbing in both rooms on either side of me, cracked leaking t cups - I assume these are washed by housekeeping when used so why would you leave them in that state for guests to use. Others have commented on the uncomfortable bed -I concur..they are uncomfortable. Stains on carpet too. Food was okay and I didn't drink alcohol as remember the shocking prices for wine from the last time. Also avoided breakfast - £17 was quoted when the hotel was booked so another rip off charge. I notice that the management have read and commented on other travellers experiences here and asked the reviewers to contact the hotel directly - given that there are recurring themes on here relating to the dissatisfaction with specific parts of the hotel why doesn't the management try to address these? I for one wont be back, would actively discourage anyone from staying here instead next time i'll stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: book somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank kittyirvine
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Templepatrick.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

I have shared your review with our management team and can assure you that all areas detailed within your review will be appropriately actioned with the relevant team members.

Again I am sorry to hear that you left with such a bad impression of our hotel and I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Please contact me directly at the hotel if you would like to discuss the matter further.

County Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I cannot say enough about the team at Templepatrick!! Their friendliness, helpfulness and professional were exceptional!!!
However, the food in the hotel is basically fodder. Of particular disappointment was the restaurant, which has all the cheerfulness, in terms of decor, of a bus terminal. On the 23rd, my birthday, we 'dined' in the restaurant, rather than the bar which we had frequented on previous evenings. Having ordered a main course, our expectations were that, as per usual, vegetables would've accompanied the meal. Sadly, a few limp, tasteless spinach leaves were the sum total accompanying my chicken. For vegetables, the necessity, and expense, of ordering side dishes was required. Rather mean-spirited and tight, I think, when the chicken was £15.00! My wife's pasta dish was appalling!!! Overcooked tagliatelle in a ketchup-like 'sauce', ostensibly Arrabiata, haha!!, with seven, count 'em!!!!!!!, tiger prawns, at about £18.00!! Ridiculous and insulting. The bar food is uninspired. Having stayed at Roe Park last year, where they do care about their food, their guests' enjoyment of it, and the foods' presentation, Templepatrick was pretty dire in all terms of catering, save for your breakfast chef, who was happy to do very nice poached eggs to order!! Templepatrick is basically in the middle of nowhere, so the Hilton has a very captive clientele in terms of food. It would be desirable for the management of Templepatrick to show more respect, concern and appreciation to their guests' enjoyment of the eating 'experience' at the hotel, rather than simply shovelling blandness, not inexpensively, and laughing, metaphorically, at us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once more, the staff are excellent, but deserve better management.
And wifi only in the lobby?!

Room Tip: The golf course view is very attractive.
Thank you for your feedback.

I am delighted that you found the hospitality of our team at Hilton Templepatrick to be exceptional on this occasion and I will pass on your kind words in respect of their service.

I was however, most disappointed to learn that the quality of food in our Restaurant did not meet your expectations during this celebratory break.

Please be assured that this is not the standard of service we aim to provide at Hilton Templepatrick and I will of course appropriately address your concerns with our Executive Chef and his team.

Should you have occasion to visit us again, please contact me direct at the hotel so that I may personally oversee your reservation to ensure that all of your expectations are indeed, exceeded next time.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Templepatrick
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Ballygally Castle
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,234 reviews

Been to Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!