“lovely b&b”
Review of The Village B&B

The Village B&B
Ranked #6 of 10 Cushendall B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My Husband & myself stayed here Sat 1st oct 2011 along with 2 other couples . Rooms were large & clean & breakfast was very good. Handy to pubs & beach. recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 October 2011

We checked in the Village B&B for four days to visit the Antrim coast around Cushendall. The rooms are nice and clean with free WiFi access. The host Alex Mc Killop is a very lovely person, helpful and with excellent knowledge about the area. Apart from that, he serves a good breakfast with real good coffee. The place itself is conveniently located in the center of Cuchendall with nearby pubs and restaurants. Parking was available in the front of the B&B and there is a free car park just around the corner. I would highly recommend this place and we're looking forward to meet Alex on our next trip to Antrim.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We had a delightful trip to the glens in mid-September, using The Village as a base for walking and touring for a couple of days. It's a lovely old house on the main street, tastefully decorated and comfortable. Our host, Alex McKillop, was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the area. I would highly recommend this relaxing, family-run B & B.
Carla

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2011

Our second visit and a quick stopover in the village B&B - always a pleasure and never a bother to Alex. We took our cousin from London over to trip along the Antrim Coast and called by Alex's to take a well earned break. Rooms were warm, quiet and very comfortable - breakfast was plentiful and just the trick after a night out in the Central Bar. We'll definitely be back :) 20-9-11

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2011

11 cyclists are very happy with the welcome we had at the Village from Alex and his staff. Having cycled all day through the beautiful Glens of Antrim, we were made most welcome at the Village and all the extra needs of arriving cyclists were met. The rooms were comfortable and up to scratch and, in addition to an excellent breakfast, our host provided early service and breakfast at 7.00am so we could watch the World Cup Rugby from New Zealand. The proximity to a wonderful pub (McCollums) and Restaurant (Harrys) made this a great stay. Alex and his staff saw us off southwards along the beautiful Causeway Coast and right into the teeth of Hurricane Irene; but that's another story!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2011

We stayed one night, as a stop-off on our trip round the Antrim Coast (two families). The accommodation was basic, but spotlessly clean. No TV in the room, no rail to hang any towel in the bathroom. There were areas on each landing where you could make your own tea/coffee. The breakfast in the morning was nice. Lots of cereals, juice, choice with the cooked breakfast. The major offput, was the man in charge. I really did not get the friendly vibe that others have described. I am glad that the person reviewing this place before me was of the same opinion. Any time you turned, he was there. You came out your door, he was outside. You came down in the morning he was at the end of the stairs. Once he had served us our breakfast he waited across the hall in the front livining room while we were having our breakfast. We were all totally creeped out by him. It was a bit of a laugh at first, but I felt it was the final straw when we were coming back up the street to the B&B, having been out for the evening and he was coming against us to let us in! No, never again, due entirely to the fact that we all felt we were being watched all the time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nadiecork
horses129, Manager at The Village B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

I do not recall these guests specifically but I do remember opening the door for approaching guests on one occassion. This was meant as a kindness. There certainly were no issues with their behaviour and I can only apoligise if they felt watched. In the interests of all guests I try to keep a tight handle on things. I have had guests come in at night and proceed to the kitchen to cook food which I had for the next mornings breakfast. I have had to deal with issues around noise at night and smoking in rooms. Lads booking in and bringing their mates in later. Thankfully these events are rare and I thought I had the balance right as almost all guests report a pleasant visit. indeed on the day this review was posted I received an email from the Northern Ireland Tourist Board as follows.

Hi Alex,

A gentleman called James called in to our office today, he had stayed with you on Saturday night. He was full of compliments about your B&B. He really enjoyed his stay and said your breakfast and service was of the highest quality. I have also forwarded his comments to my colleagues.

Well done!

Kind regards,

Anne Marie Lyons,

Northern Ireland Tourist Board

Tourism Centre,

Suffolk Street,

Dublin 2

I can only further apoligise to these guests as their adverse experience was unintended and I will take on board their comments.

Regards,

Alex

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed in Cushendall for the weekend this August, in The Village B&B. Cushendall is a lovely little place, with the friendliest people you could ever meet. The accommodation was clean, tidy and well appointed, with a beautiful hearty breakfast. However, the one thing which would put us off ever returning, or giving a good recommendation, is the behaviour of the owner, who treated us like 10 yr olds, telling us to be "as quiet as mice". We had a glass of wine in our room before we left to go out, and when we came back later that night, we (all 4 of us) went to one room to have a nightcap. When we came out of the bedroom door, he was sitting on the sofa outside the room, and told us he did not allow drinking in the bedrooms. (There was no visible notice to tell us this anywhere in the reception area or bedroom.) He seemed to materialise again when we left the room at another stage. This somewhat strange behaviour was slighlty unnerving, and marred what was otherwise a nice visit to County Antrim.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Disgruntled30

In common with all guests arriving I did ask them to be as quiet as mice when coming in after 11pm. This is because the house is a sleeping environment at that time. In the case of these guests I was awoken by noise from upstairs at 12 15am. When I went upstairs I found them moving between rooms with alcohol talking loudly and laughing. I told them that I didnt allow drinking in the rooms but really it was the noise that was the issue.I told them that they could have a drink in the sitting room downstairs away from the other guest bedrooms but they refused.I then had to sit on the landing for some time monitoring the noise. Indeed had it not settled down I would have asked them to leave. I fully expected an apology next morning when the alcohol was gone.But No they post this review where they feel their right to upset the sleeping environment of myself and other guests was infringed. I make no apology for trying to maintain a good sleeping environment at night and would not accept these guests again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cushendall
The Glens Hotel
#2 of 10 in Cushendall
Glenn Eireann House B&B
Glenn Eireann House B&B
#4 of 10 in Cushendall

Been to The Village B&B? Share your experiences!