“Avoid this hotel!!!!”

The Glens Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cushendall
“Avoid this hotel!!!!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stayed at this "hotel" three days ago i was in Cushendall for a wedding. On arrival I had to go & look for someone to check me in. The girl that checked me in was rude, uninterested in my requests & I felt like I should have been asking her any questions. She then call the chef to come & take me to my room, to my surprise he lead me out of the hotel & to a house next door. I had to climb up 3 sets of stairs. All the room doors & windows were lying opened & it was freezing. The room was disgusting!!! Small, smelly & dirty. Extremely basic!
I obliviously could see into the other rooms & they were no better.
My whole experience with this hotel & staff was very disappointing. The only good thing was the 3am bar. Trust me you would need a lot of drink to stay here.
When we were leaving the staff made no effort at all with us. I come from a hospitality background & I can't get over how this hotel is still functioning.
Cushendall itself is stunning!!! I will go back but I will be booking into a B&B...

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank WeeASH82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
County Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Family stop-over for one night---- the room, which was in an annexe to the hotel, was small and clean but tired and dated, ensuite was tiny.
Evening meal just OK, served on oilcloth covered tables in a bland conservatory.
The bar which could be very cosy had tired furniture and in dire need of refinishing.
Breakfast was a definite step-up being served in the restaurant with plenty of choice.
Front of house, bar and breakfast staff were very friendly and helpful.
Given the surroundings the family room was a little overpriced considering it was paid in Sterling.

Room Tip: The annexe rooms all appear to be small and dated.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Liam55
Hungerford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

A lovely hotel who looked after our group of 23 walkers on half board for 7 nights. Spotlessly clean, superb food, comfortable bed, very very helpful and friendly staff. Excellent location for our walking week in the Antrim Hills, shops nearby plus other pubs if needed but not by us as we were perfectly happy with al aspects of the Glens. Good value bottles of wine, free wifi, plenty of visitor information. Very efficient reception - room numbers allocated in advance which made check-in very quick. Canot believe some of the poor posted comments - none applied to us we only have good comments and good memories.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I stayed hear last bank holiday weekend so decided to go back for this one and had another great time good value good food small rooms but clean and all you need is in them and friendly staff what more can you ask for.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank MK500
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Would chose alternative rather than stay, smell in our room dirty carpets, spiders and webs in bathroom, shabby furniture like something from the 80. No food available in hotel and just told to find alternative place to eat. Just awful stayed for 1 he then left .

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank kimwilly5

Travellers are raving about these Cushendall hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We had stayed in the Hotel back in February as part of a large group staying on a group on deal. We all had a great weekend food was great and really enjoyed it. While there we won a complimentary nights stay with B&B. So we decided to book it for this weekend Saturday night, on arrival we where given our room key very quickly and on asking if we could book an evening meal we where told no as there was a large wedding taking place so basically they had no time for us. We got to our room and it was absolutely terrible bad smell, dirty carpets, stains on the bed sheets, spiders web with spider in the bathroom really was awful like something from the 1980 era. We did complain and where offered another room but declined, and during this conversation where told that they couldn't see what was wrong with the room well all i can say is their standards must be pretty low. Unfortunately after leaving in February suitably impressed we returned home feeling badly let down. Wont be returning anytime soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Daniel W
Belfast
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

If you like toilets that smell like they haven't been cleaned in weeks and food that's mediocre at best then it's great.

On entering the hotel you're greated by a dismal wonky sign directing you to the bar that makes you realise you're in something akin to Fawlty Towers. It rightly sets the tone for the rest of your visit.

This hotel should be great, given the location, but it falls far short.

You can do much better by travelling on a few extra miles or opting for a guest house or self-catering.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank HighStandardsBelfast
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cushendall
Marine Hotel Ballycastle
#1 of 3 in Bushmills
The Village B&B
The Village B&B
#6 of 10 in Cushendall

Been to The Glens Hotel? Share your experiences!