“Not realising its potential”
Review of Upstairs @ Joe's

Upstairs @ Joe's
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Cushendall
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Antrim Coast is rightly famed for its beauty but not for the quality and number of its hotels or restaurants. It is ironic therefore that two of the better restaurants face each other across the street in Cushendall - Harry's and Upstairs at Joe's.

However a recent visit to the latter left us feeling rather frustrated as we feel it could do so much better. At 6.30 on a Wednesday evening we were the only people in the place - save for the solitary waiter and the only sound was that of him rattling the cutlery in the background. When he eventually finished this task and arrived with the menus he turned out to be chatty and friendly.

Our meal was alright but I thought that a rather small helping of cod deserved a better fate than being served on a bed of tough cabbage and was rather expensive at £15. The wine list seemed to be quite good and reasonably priced.

There is some work to be done before it fulfils its full potential

1  Thank esler c

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were staying in Cushendall for two nights and decided to eat at Joes for one night and eat somewhere different for the second. As it was, we enjoyed our meal so much that we ate there the second night too. Huge portions of well cooked food ( my cod loin was about 2inches thick and perfectly cooked)
All served by friendly, efficient waiters

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

A couple we asked in the street recommended Upstairs @ Joe's to us after a long day at the Giant's Causeway and Carrick a Rede. The waitress welcomed us in despite the late hour and I had some delicious scallops and my friend the scampi. Loads of juicy scallops with risotto (not loads but enough and it was tasty) and the scampi came with a huge portion of nice chips. Would come back to Cushendall deliberately to come here again. Thanks.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This restaurant was recommended by our equally excellent B&B (Cullentra House) and it didn't disappoint. Really high quality food and exceptionally friendly staff made for a wonderful evening, so much so that we returned again later in the week.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was staying in Cushendall with some friends over a weekend. On arrival, we nipped into Upstairs @ Joe’s for a light lunch. The service was friendly and helpful. We shared the nicest seafood chowder I have ever had, packed with fish and served with toasted wheaten bread. We also shared some langoustine which were lovely but totally upstaged by the chowder. My parents arrived the next day, which was a Sunday and I wanted to show them this little find. When we arrived the menu was a set Sunday menu, however we only wanted something light, this was no problem to the waiter at all. We all had tomato soup with goat’s cheese fritters, a fabulous combination, followed by dessert and coffee. The service was friendly, accommodating and prompt. I returned that evening with my friends and we all had the two course set menu, starters included soup, chowder and pate, all of which were delicious as we sampled each other’s. The main courses didn’t disappoint either, all were very tasty. We were the last to leave the restaurant by about half an hour and yet we never felt rushed and we were encouraged to relax and finish our drinks. Great food and fantastic service, I would highly recommend.