“great stay”

Magherabuoy House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Portrush
Reviewed 5 May 2014

our party of 8 have just returned from overnight stay in Magherabouy and we can't praise it enough. the hotel was first class, service was great as was food and room. A special mention to the night porter who put up with us drinking until 4.00am with out complaint. I can't understand where the bad reviews come from, what are these people used to.

Room Tip: pay the extra tenner for the superior room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Damian M

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Had the suite for my husbands birthday. Got a really good deal.b&b, evening meal, and carvery lunch on the sunday. It was lovely. We tried to book again at easter but was far too overpriced. So we declined and stayed in a b&b in portrush instead.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Had Easter Sunday carvery lunch in hotel restaurant awful. Had to ask to be served. Starter was served pate fine my husbands soup was cold. Sat waiting for our plates to be taken away so we could go and get our main course we waited and waited then decided to just go hoping they would remove plates when we left the table. Didn't happen. Came back to table I had to remove used dishes myself. Main course food was not very warm but edible. My sweet was rhubarb and custard couldn't eat rhubarb as it was so hard. My husbands coffee was cold. I counted 32 diners and one waitress clearing tables she was doing her best. Two waiters who nine times out of ten took food to wrong tables. So disappointed as we have dined here a few times and food and service was good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joannie30
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed in the magherabuoy 3 years ago when it was a best western and returned for 3 nights in April 2014. The staff were excellent, food was to die for and the Guinness was cold and wet just as I like it . The rooms were fabulous and well appointed, free wifi was just the ticket.. we made a visit the the coffee shop connected to the hotel. Well the deserts were beautiful. I recommend the rocky road squares . All home baked , we took some with us back to the family... To sum up. , beautiful place well worth a visit.... Will be back as they saying goes

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Barry M
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Myself and my partner travelled to Portrush in March for my 40th birthday.
The hotel was very clean and tasteful. The room was a very decent size although ours was the corner room.

Little did I know , my partner had been emailing the staff to arrange a little surprise in the morning for my breakfast. The table was decorated for my birthday just as she had requested. It was a perfect touch to start my birthday.

Over the two days we had breakfast which I would say was as good if not better than any I have had in a 3 star.

The Magherbuoy is a hotel I will be visiting again. From the lovely comfortable rooms, to the warm helpful staff I couldn't praise them enough.

Room Tip: Plenty of space in a corner room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A feast of brass fittings, patterned carpets and wall paper borders! Geezo - time has stood very still at The Magherabuoy Hotel (since 1980 or so anyway!)

The bedroom was large and spacious and offered a comfortable bed. They had a dying plant on the table next to the hotels information book- why? It looked awful and the pot had a fungal growth in it - why would they add this horrid "feature" to a room? The bathroom / shower room supplied a good pressure of shower but sadly a basin waste that didn't work. Housekeeping standards not so good, there was hair and dirt in our accessories dish (see pics) - that's always a stomach turner in a hotel.

The tea and coffee tray offered us a small selection of drinks, we chose coffee but sadly the long-life milk sachets were all off so we ordered more and it was delivered without problem. We avoided the 1980's biscuit selection packs - I thought bourbons weren't even made anymore (or maybe they've been there for the last 30 years or so!!)

No ironing board or iron in room so we ordered one from Housekeeping. A member of staff delivered it (friendly and polite) but the ironing board was broken so we had to call them back again and order another.

When we returned to the hotel in the evening, two night staff were sitting at reception and didn't even acknowledge our existence as we entered and walked past the desk. Certain staff could be much more engaging and friendly. They didn't even look up from the monitor they are both viewing.

After a good night's sleep, I looked forward to a lovely Ulster Breakfast - what a phenomenal disappointment the breakfast was - the worst I've ever seen. Travel Lodge would be 5 star compared to this.
Repulsive powdered fake orange juice, the grill area looked like it had been assaulted - dry unattractive food under a heat trolly. I decided to order a boiled egg - when it eventually arrived it had been boiled to death and the centre was like a dry golf ball.

The plates are so so so old that the glaze has gone and the plates are all scratched and dry, just ancient.

So, I opted for the fruit which was in a hellish state - only a couple of pieces of melon left on dirty platter. The remaining pieces had fork marks in them where others had moved the dry pieces aside. I asked a female member of staff if she could replenish the fruit and get some yoghurt and she said that the chef had finished at 9am and therefore could not supply more cut fruit. I asked why the chef had deserted breakfast when it is advertised to be served until 10am. There also a burst yoghurt pot which staff just ignored. Even the 'maybe manager' that walked into the breakfast area and clip-clopped her heavy heels along the wooden floor didn't see the devastation that was breakfast, although managed to make such a racket when entering or leaving.

As the breakfast wasn't smoothing I'd feed my dog - we left and went for breakfast elsewhere. Gosh that faux-orange liquid drink was revolting and synthetic.

When we checked out - the staff member did not ask us how we enjoyed our stay or anything. My partner was stressed by the experience so we departed without further complaint. Cost of night's stay was £125.00 as agreed at time of booking. Not worth half that.

We'll never be back here - should be opened as a 1980's museum. I'm not completely over the burgundy, brass and wallpaper yet - not to mention the furniture and fake floral arrangements - eek!

(sadly tried to upload evidence including dying plant but icon will not open for uploading pics)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one evening. Staff friendly. Room modern & clean (standard room). Breakfast buffet style & very good selection & quantity. Only draw back was there was a lot of noise from a disco going on in the hotels grounds, so maybe best to check that before booking if you are seeking a more relaxing break. Overall really enjoyable & would recommend hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portrush
Portrush Atlantic Hotel
#6 of 8 in Portrush
Bayview Hotel
Bayview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portballintrae

Been to Magherabuoy House Hotel? Share your experiences!