“Family water fun”

Waterworld - Portrush
Ranked #6 of 23 things to do in Portrush
More attraction details
Owner description: This popular attraction offers a unique indoor experience.
Portstewart, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Family water fun”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Great fun for children and at ages 6 and 9 they seemed happy with only 2 big enclosed slides. The pirate ship with water guns and smaller slides attached along with 2 jacuzzis and a small area for toddlers to play in, it provides entertainment for a couple of hours. There is no time limit on how long you can stay so , it can get a bit busy. The lifeguards are very attentive and there is a viewing area beside the cafe and in the pool area up on the balcony but be warned its very warm. There is also a small bowling alley available.
The changing room lockers are 10p non refundable.
Parking is by chance ,Lansdowne is the nearest free public car park as it is busy outside Waterworld itself.

3 Thank lucyzeb

Co Down, Northern Ireland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't be put off... go and the kids will thank you for it!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

After reading some reviews here, I was really hesitant about taking the kids but they love the water and it was a wet day so we thought we would give it the benefit of the doubt. I was expecting it to be hectic, but I managed to get parked outside beside the harbour which was FREE and while the pool was busy, it was very bearable and didn't feel at all overcrowded and plenty of lifeguards in attendance who were definately good at keeping an eye on what was going on.

Firstly, it is not 100% perfect... but it is also not the worst that I've ever been to and I always take a bathroom mat with me for the kids to stand on anytime we go to a public pool anyway. Yes, the changing rooms could do with a bit of attention but the staff were cleaning away at the floor both when we went in and when we came back out of the water 2 1/2 hours later!! You could tell that some of the toilet doors were new in a attempt to improve the place as they were plain untreated wood. The biggest complaint would be the lack of family changing cubicles as they are the old fashioned male & female open changing rooms with only 2 closed cubicles for baby changing and signs saying that over 8s must go to their own gender changing rooms but I wouldn't let my 9 yr old go on his own so I took him with me into the ladies and put a towel around him changing (I also was chatting to a signel guy who had to take his 5yr old daughter in the male changing rooms with him and he had to do the same with his daughter)

It cost me £12.85 for myself and my 2 sons aged 7 & 9 who were delighted when we were told that the sesions are not timed and you can stay as long as you like! Hence me practically having to drag my kids out nearly 3 hours later! oh.... make sure that you have at least one spare 10p coin for the non-refundable lockers which are a pretty good size for a sports bag containing 3 towels etc.

There are 2 large slides which run outside the building and end up beside the indoor pool but my 2 despite liking slides were having so much fun that they didn't want to be bothered with the slides. There is a small 'regular' style pool which was I would guess approx 1.2m deep where the kids can swim properly and it is divided from the fun part of the pool by a wall of stone 'floats' to keep with the nautical theme. The best way I can describe the fun end is like putting a children's playpark into a shallow pool (I would say this would maybe be 0.8m deep as it barely reached my knee) with lots of small slides and water cannons etc...

Another nice thing was that the air poolside was nice and warm so I didn't feel cold at all when watching the kids and the water was pleasantly warm too. They had 2 jacuzzis which were alternated so when one timed session ended the life guards made sure everyone got out and they covered the jacuzzi whilst the other was turned on which was good and ensured that people got a chance to enjoy the really warm jacuzzis instead of letting some people hog them Then there was also a small toddler paddling pool.

When we finally got out of the pool the kids wanted a game of 10 pin bowling which cost £12.50 but as the session was timed for 45 mins and not based on just completing a game we actually managed to have 2 games during our time which made it even better value for money! :D

There was a cafe in the place but we didn't use it - we had some snacks with us but there were vending machines where we bought cans of coke etc for £1 each and you could get crisps etc too.

In conclusion... we spent a great 4 hours here which was really good value for money but I would be happy to pay a little bit more for them to make the slight improvements neccessary to the changing rooms.

4 Thank anne245
“Couldn't be happier!!”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

After reading reviews about waterworld I was abit worried about going but I shouldn't have been! Went today with kids, staff were very helpful & friendly, pool was clean & well maintained changing rooms were spotless with a cleaner there the whole time we were there making sure it was kept dry & clean! Children had a ball with so much to keep them entertained! We were in for almost 3 hours without realising! We will definitely be back very soon!!!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“More like dirt world”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Was a terrible experience for me there was poo in the pool and hair everywhere will never go back don't recommend it

7 Thank Abs2003
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“pool great changing facilities ancient.”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

the children loved the pool and slides .the pool area was great but the changing rooms were a disgrace . when my wife complained to the staff at the front desk the girl rolled her eyes at us. used sanitary towels are unacceptable.

1 Thank steviemlfc