“Relaxing Spa Break”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kilkeel, United Kingdom
“Relaxing Spa Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel 2nd to 4th Feb for a mini spa break. The hotel is located very centrally and we had no prob with parking, granted it was February and Portrush not exactly buzzing with tourists, which was most delightful for us. I found the hotel had a very relaxing atmosphere and as recently refurbished was very modern and clean. The breakfast was most delicious with part buffet, followed by hot breakfast to order, which leaves it very fresh and hot and not dried up or greasy in any form. Our package included a 4 course evening meal which also was well presented and delicious. The staff on all occasions were extremely pleasant and dealt with any queries most attentively. I had a one hour facial and my daughter had a massage and an express facial and we loved our pampering. It was very good value for money and we will return when the weather manages to rise above zero.

• Liked — Good value mini break
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank MsBronte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Czech first
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2009

At the time of writing the Adelphi is ranked the number one hotel on trip advisor in County Antrim outside of Belfast and it was on this recomendation that I booked a weekend stay just after the new year. On visiting the hotel's excellent website I decided to book a suite and also booked a facial and papmering session for my wife with the on site beautician. On arrival the first task was to find a parking space and while this was easy on a January weekday, right outside on the road, you should consider that in high summer parking is at a premium in Portrush. The Adelphi is a boutique hotel converted from a couple of the old sea front guesthouses so doesn't have a car park so you may have to park in one of the town car parks during the day and move the car to the on street parking outside at night. The suite itself was excellent, comprising a sleeping area and living area with televisions in both as well as comfortable leather seating, dvd player, a spacious wardrobe and easy to use safe. The bathroom has a heated floor and offers the option of both shower and bath. On the ground floor the hotel has an attractive communal area next to the restaurant which impressed us greatly at breakfast as the hot food was prepared to order and wasn't merely laid out on the serving table with the cereals, fruit juices, croisants and fruit. There is a hot breakfast menu which is excellent and offers four alternatives. We ate there once for our evening meal and regretted not eating there on the other nights of our stay. To offer a comparison we chose to eat in the best rated restaurant in Portrush on another night and have to say that the food in the Adelphi was better by some distance. This restaurant is not exclusive to patrons so I highly recommend it even to those who chose to stay elsewhere in the town as being, in my mind, far better than anything the Harbour complex can offer. The staff were excellent. No matter how busy, the desk staff always had time for an hello as any guest passed while the bar and restaurant staff were superb in both service and courtesy. Sadly I can't comment on the fitness suite as I didn't use it but other guests advised that it was excellent while the beauty treatment offered by the hotel to my wife was also of the highest calibre.

• Liked — The bed, the spa, the food, the living space, the bathroom, the service
  • Disliked — car parking could be a minor issue in summer
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank captainbeecher
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2009

The Adelphi in Portrush has the friendliest and most helpful hotel staff I have ever come across. It is a family owned and run hotel that has been recently renovated, I'm not sure when, has good food and was very good value, at about £75 per night per double room including breakfast, over the New Year break inc New Year's eve.

It is on the main street in Portrush, but the double glazing is new and is upto the small amount of traffic noise. There is no parking but plenty nearby. It is very convenient for The Giant's Causeway.

To give an example of the level of service, at 1.45am on New Year's day when we returned from our New Year's eve binge. We were greeted with complementary champagne and 10 minutes later complementary hot food in case we were a bit hungry before going to bed. - Amazing.!

Highly recommended.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank mike17
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2008

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and use trip advisor to advise me on where to stay but this is the first time I have been motivated to get off my virtual backside and write a review of my own.

The room I stayed in was lovely, and all the reviews are accurate - it's just a fantastic place to stay.

I was unsure where to stay in Portrush as there are several hotels in the area, but I went onto the Adelphi homepage and learnt that the hotel is very eco-friendly....something I believe is unique in today's hospitality and tourism industry, so decided to give it a go.

On arrival I was greeted with a big smile from the owner (Mark Holmes, a lovely and very intelligent man) who explained to me that the hotel consisted of the most up-to-date technologies that contributed to the hotel being very sustainable. My external reading on the internet then highlighted the fact the hotel is probably the most environmentally friendly hotel in Northern Ireland! It uses state of the art technology along with practical designs that provides excellent thermal comfort for clients with minimal energy use. On top of this the structure has excellent sound absorption qualities so noise generated from kids running up and down the corridors (normally associated with hotel environments), neighbouring rooms noise and even transportation noise generated from cars on the main street along the front of the hotel is unheard of. Now not too many people can say they stayed in a hotel that does all of this (Oh did I mention it has a spa too!).

The hotel contains Spa facilities too which is very important in order for the hotel to cater for current day demands. These facilities are excellent! The tiled floors that have under floor heating removes that cold tile feeling under your feet and eliminates that dank smell commonly associated with poor managed and designed spa facilities.

Above the front rooms of the hotel overlook the sea which is extremely important for a person like me as I am a surfer. It enables me to check the swell from my room!! On top of this a surf shop is located right opposite the hotel allowing my friends to hire surfboards without having the need to travel for miles to rent one.

Overall I can say you will not be disappointed with the hotel. The property exceeded my expectations for value, hospitality, room quality and location. A truly rememble experience and one I will definitly be doing again

Thanks Adelphi for a wonderful stay

Liam

• Liked — Friendly environment
  • Disliked — Nothing springs to mind
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lawless351
Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2008

A winter weekend away was a real treat at the Adelphi, the location is perfect for exploring the area. The family room we stayed in was perfect. Large, with lots of extras like DVD player for the kids. The Breakfast was great lots of chioces and the dinner (I had Tuna with Lime salsa) delicious !! The staff were really helpful and friendly, considering we tortured them with food allergy questions they were very understanding. There is a great longue with daily papers to relax in and the health suite is a perfect way to unwind.
I can highly recommend the Adelphi, and know we will be back in the summer.

• Liked — The room and food
  • Disliked — Nothing, everything was great !
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank berniemc60
belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2008

Booked the adelphi as it looked great.

I got a great reate from the internet. The room was large and clean. The bathroom was large also and very up to date.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and always gave a smile.
Did not not have time to vist the spa but will on my return visit.

The only down side was our room overlooked an area that people would walk past and when we staye dthere was strong winds and there seemed to be so kind on wind trap and you would have thought the window was going to come in at times. Mind you it made the stay more exciting.

Really loved my stay the braskfast was yummy and offered a great choice.

Parking can be intresting but it just means you get to see more of Portrush.

We will be back.

• Liked — Location, friendly staff, Price
  • Disliked — My room veiw however think others are much better.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank belfast76
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2008

Had a great time at the Adelphi. The room was excellent - spacious and well presented. We had one of the larger rooms where you get a living area with a second TV and it was basically a second room. This was good as one person could sleep while the other watched tv. Bathroom nice. Leisure facilities good, unfortunately only available 3-8pm - it would be nice to get in there in the morning. Breakfast good and the dining room is nice. Didn't try the restaurant as the vegetarian options were the 'same old same old' that everyone offers, and there were plenty of other restaurants to choose from. Staff friendly. Definitely recommended.

• Liked — Seating area with 2nd TV
  • Disliked — Boring vegetarian food options
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fifi07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portrush
Portrush Atlantic Hotel
#5 of 8 in Portrush
Bayview Hotel
Bayview Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portballintrae

Been to Adelphi Portrush? Share your experiences!