“Sparton Breakfast ( its no joke ) Overpriced and Noisey”

and 1 more site!
Strangford Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newtownards
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Sparton Breakfast ( its no joke ) Overpriced and Noisey”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This is Possable the werst Hotel that we have ever stayed at as a Mature Copple, The Receptionest was almost Asleep at her desk on arrival with a Lacksy Daysey Approch The room was not to bad However the Fan in the Bathroom was very Loud and could not be turned off, The TV was either 17 or 18in Minute and hardly visable unless you sat write inf runt of it, The heating in the room was unbearable it was so hot and if you opened the window to compansate the Noise from outside our room was Rediculouse Day and Night then a street Cleaner outside at 6.50am did not help, However the Breakfast was the werst Part, 1 Slice of Toast deliverd to you on a side plate NO TOAST RACKS a pot of Tea and Coffee that only held 1 Cup Each Followed by Warter Down fruit juice and a incredably small overcooked fryed breakfast that consittid of Really Cheap Sausage and Bacon Overdun fried egg and Burnt fried Bread No beans No mushrooms no extra toast no extra tea or coffee Infact the waitor never came anywhear near our or anyone elses table once he had delived the Very Very Spatinist Breakfast that we had ever had Both seen or tried to eat, We had booked for 3 days but left at 8.45am on the second day needless to say Without the Breakfast as a bag of crisps would of been more filling, and to top things off the Strangford Arms Hotel is also Well Overpriced for what you get for your money as our 2 Breakfasts pu together would not of cost any more that £2.50 and thats us being genarus so we said Goodbye and Good Riddens ?

Room Tip: Stay Somewhear Eals !
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David H
ownerbeechlawn, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
On behalf of the Strangford Arms Hotel I would like to thank you for your custom and for taking the time to inform me of your dissatisfaction during your stay. I have been able to identify your booking as you have also left a similar comment on “Booking .com” and this enabled me to fully investigate the circumstances and interview my staff who were on duty and looked after you during your stay. I hope you can accept my explanation regarding this matter.
1. Our Staff and I were very disappointed to hear about your issues as you made no complaint during your stay. We openly encourage constructive criticism throughout all aspects of our business as we provide Comment Cards tailored for each department. This enables us to strive to achieve first class friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean pleasant and comfortable surroundings, as we very much value and appreciate all our customers and their point of view.
2. I will address the issue of inattentive Staff by implementing further in-house training and for this I do apologise.
3. After checking your bedroom, I found no problem with the fan in the bathroom as all the fans are linked to the bathroom light switch and when turned off the fan will run for a couple of minutes, and then automatically switch off. Our staff are aware of this energy saving device and if you had enquired about this issue it would have been easily explained and rectified.
4. I am sorry that you felt that the size of the TV was too small. I can confirm that they are 19” LCD flat screens and we feel that they are adequate for hotel bedrooms of this size.
5. The heating in all our bedrooms are thermostatically controlled at the radiator and can be easily adjusted to suit the comfort of the individual guest. As we are a town centre Hotel the consequence of opening your window will cause outside noise, associated with urban activity travelling into your room, which is unfortunately out of our control.
6. Breakfast: Our waiter informed me that you did not request any extra toast, coffee or tea nor did you make any comment about your hot meal. I can assure you we do not water-down our Orange and Cranberry Juice. I am sorry breakfast did not meet with your approval.
7. I can confirm that you did only stay for two out of the three nights booked and when booking out our receptionist did inquire regarding the reason for your early departure. You informed her that a family member was ill and you had to book out early. You gave no indication that you were dissatisfied with your stay!
8. I can confirm that the Rate you paid was £31.45 per person sharing (included VAT) which included a full Irish breakfast. We constantly monitor Hotel rack rates and promotional offers and we are confident that this is a very competitive rate.

In response to your posting and the disbelief that you had so many complaints and failed to bring any of the afore mentioned issues to our attention at the time of your stay, I then investigated your other postings and find it unbelievable that you have had so many bad experiences especially in establishments that are receiving regular good comments and reviews! In particular Elaine in Pine Tree B&B in Ballymoney who had 100% positive feedback until your review!

Again I would like to stress we do encourage constructive criticism, as we are always striving to obtain first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2013

we arrived on Friday and left on Sunday, approaching the hotel I was fearing the worst as it looked like a busy pub with a large pink motel attached, don't let this put you off, inside the staff were lovely the room was clean and a good standard (except we didn't have a window).
Friday night we dined with friends in the restaurant which was fantastic, a large reasonably priced menu and we all loved our choices. in the mornings the full Irish breakfast was ok but a little disappointing especially if you have ever sampled a proper one, however there was lots of toast, cereal, fruit etc to keep you healthy.
all in all this we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
ownerbeechlawn, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
On behalf of the Strangford Arms Hotel and LeWinters Bistro Bar & Restaurant, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments. This gives our Staff great encouragement that they are recognised and appreciated for their friendly, professionalism and hard work. Thank you for praising the standard of our Bedroom facilities and we were pleased to hear that your party felt that we provided cuisine of a high standard; in quality, choice and value.
I will address the standard of the cooked breakfast by discussing the issue with the breakfast-chef. I was pleased to hear that you were happy with the large choice of alternatives offered during breakfast time. We do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

we were in Northern Ireland for business and stayed for one night.The rooms are pleasant newly decorated and nice bathrooms.Both very clean.My room overlooked the road and had 3 windows so it was noisey and cold.Were we there in the snow and very low temperatures but there was not double glazing in the windows,they were old and ill fitting.The service in the bar/resturant was good for Dinner.Breakfast wasn't very good and the coffee was terrible!
i would be happy to stay thete again and would feel comfortable to eat alone in the lounge area

Room Tip: try to get a room not facing the Main Road
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
ownerbeechlawn, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff of the Strangford Arms Hotel and LeWinters Bistro Bar and Restaurant, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive, complimentary and constructive comments.

Thank you for praising the standard and cleanliness of our Bedroom facilities. Although I cannot be certain of the specific room that you stayed in, I can confirm that we have had similar comments regarding Room 237 and therefore I assume this may have been the Room that you stayed in. I do apologise for any discomfort you experienced during your stay and the poor service you experienced during breakfast. I am currently looking into secondary glazing the windows which should rectify both the sound and the problems arising from single glazed windows.
Thank you for praising our staff during dinner service and I apologise again for the issues you experienced at breakfast and I can assure you this will be addressed with further in-house Staff training.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times
Reviewed 23 January 2013

From the outside your weary the entrance to the plsce in s side street opposite a car park. Once inside the staff are warm and welcoming. Would be nice to been offerered someone to care for your luggage. Rooms warm but abit dated could do with a spruce up. And if its a Saturday night the night club or the boxing club I prefared call it and I see why they needed all the door staff. If you don't mind the waff of smoke creaping up the front of the hotel then no problem s. KEEP Windows closed. Food in restaurant which was night club was supet and service was first class you couldn't fault that. Prices were good but first thing in morning staff could do with a shake to get moving.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your comments about the Strangford Arms Hotel. We openly encourage constructive criticism throughout all aspects of our business, as we very much value and appreciate all our customers and their points of view. In order to achieve this we provide Comment Cards tailored for each department. This enables us to strive to achieve first class friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean pleasant and comfortable surroundings.

Firstly, thank you for your positive and complimentary comments about our staff being friendly and courteous and our cuisine being competitively priced and of a high standard. As for providing Porter service to carry luggage to Rooms, this is not a requirement for a 3 Star Hotel. However, our Receptionist should always offer this service, as we should always have someone available to assist. Both this and the issue of our Staff at breakfast time shall be addressed with more in-house training to ensure that our usual high standard of service is maintained.

Although I am unable to identify your booking, I can only assume according to your posting that you stayed in an Economy Room fronting the Main LeWinters entrance. We do however offer four Bedroom types: Economy, Standard, Standard designated Smoking and Superior Rooms which are located, decorated and priced accordingly. I hope you will consider staying at the Strangford Arms Hotel in the future and therefore please visit our website for further details and or contact the Hotel who will be able to assist in providing information, so as to make your next visit a more enjoyable experience.

With regard to the Night Club in LeWinters we do pride ourselves in running a very successful and trouble free venue. Our Door Staff are friendly and approachable and they are there to ensure that our customers have an enjoyable night of entertainment!

Thank you again for your custom and we hope to welcome you to the Strangford Arms Hotel in the near future.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My boyfriend and I came here for lunch during a Sunday afternoon drive. The staff were all very efficient and friendly. The menu had a great selection and when we finally managed to make our choices the food was delicious too. I never tire of bacon Brie and cranberry panninis and the one I had there was one of the best.
We'll be back again soon!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff of the Strangford Arms Hotel and LeWinters Bistro Bar and Restaurant, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments. We do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in a clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers. This gives our Staff great encouragement that they are recognised and appreciated for their friendly, professionalism and hard work.

Thank you again for your custom and we hope we can welcome you at LeWinters in the near future.
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

Me and my 3 friends decided to go here to go r present swap and dinner ! The drinks order taken promptly nice waitress !! Lost her pen but it was on the floor !! We were at a area on r own which meAnt we could have a proper laugh and carry on ! Which I did without drink !! The starters were lovely and mains were lovely as well I enjoyed the banter from the staff base ! Young and vibrant !!;)

• Stayed December 2012
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff of the Strangford Arms Hotel and LeWinters Bistro Bar and Restaurant, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments. We do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers. This gives our Staff great encouragement that they are recognised and appreciated for their friendly, professionalism and hard work.

Thank you again for your custom and we hope to see you at LeWinters in the near future.
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Spent a Saturday night here as were unable to get a room in Belfast at a decent price. We arrived hungry, but only wanted something light as we were booked for a meal in Belfast later that night. The gentleman on duty said it was no problem and would make us up whatever sandwiches we wanted whilst we unpacked.. The bedrooms were much larger than I expected and of a very good standard. We then went down to the bar where a selection of sandwiches awaited us and a lovely friendly waiter. The hotel booked us a taxi into the city. Breakfast next morning was very good and served by the same friendly waiter. Would definitely stay here again. Even with the taxi fare in and out of Belfast this hotel was cheaper than any in the city centre

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff of the Strangford Arms Hotel and LeWinters Bistro Bar and Restaurant, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments. This gives our Staff great encouragement that they are recognised and appreciated for their friendly, professionalism and hard work. Thank you for praising the standard of our Bedroom facilities and the quality of the breakfast both in standard of cuisine and service, as we do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in a clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtownards
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Culloden Estate & Spa
Culloden Estate & Spa
#1 of 2 in Holywood

Been to Strangford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!