“Very clean”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newtownards
Navan, Ireland
“Very clean”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

The first thing we noticed was how clean the place was, everything was just spotless. Nice up to date furniture and warm. The reception staff on arrival where so friendly and we where checked in within 3 mins, they had everything ready for us. There was no iron in the room and we rang reception and no problem getting us one. The rooms where slightly too warm through the night and we could not open the window as it was too noisy outside. The rooms where compact and did the job. We had a really nice breakfest full english as there was not much choice for continental but it is a small hotel so that was understandable. My only downside to the hotel was the beds, they where not comfy at all, i think at one stage i had a spring in my back !! apart from that i would defo stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
ownerbeechlawn, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
On behalf of the Strangford Arms Hotel, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments. This gives our Staff great encouragement that they are recognised and appreciated for being helpful and professional in providing a high standard of service.
I am unable to identify the bedroom you stayed in and would be grateful if you could contact reception or email the hotel with the Room number as it will give us the opportunity to replace the mattress. I do apologise for any discomfort this may have caused during your stay and I am sorry that you did not bring this to our attention, as we would have offered an alternative Bedroom immediately. We do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers and hope to see you again in the near future.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I have visited here several times over the years and must say this is the worst expeirence I have had and it will be the last. On arrival we were served quite quickly with a round of drinks however it took quite a while for the food to arrive for both the main course and desert I could understand this but there was about three other couples in the lounge eating. When it did it was hot but not a lot of it the garlic chips being of the reheated microwave style and not a lot of chicken. A reasonable variety of meals was on offer. On arrival of the second round of drinks I had to return mine which was a premium lager as it was about a quarter froth I wish I had not because when it reappeared the was even more froth and less lager. For what we received it was as the title said

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
I would like to thank you for your custom and for taking the time to inform me of your dissatisfaction during your last visit to the Strangford Arms Hotel and LeWinters Bistro Bar & Restaurant. I am very disappointed that you feel that after frequenting the Hotel on a number of occasions in the past and I can only assume that the service and standard of cuisine during your previous visits came up to your expectations. I do sincerely apologise for the unsatisfactory service you experienced and if you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves please contact me directly and I will book you a table in the restaurant and ensure that your next visit to the Hotel will be of the highest standard. We do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Travellers are raving about these Newtownards hotels

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Hi
The Northern Ireland Area of the Triumph Sports Six Club held its annual dinner in the Strangford Arms Hotel on 23 February 2013. Some of our members also stayed overnight.
There were forty of us and the service was excellent. The food was very good and there was plenty of it. The arrangements were prefect.

Highly recommended, we would definitely use the Strangford Arms Hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff of the Strangford Arms Hotel, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments. This gives our Staff great encouragement that they are recognised and appreciated for the high standard of Cuisine and Service they provided during your Annual Dinner. We do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers.

Thank you again for your custom and we hope we will be able to welcome you and your party to the Strangford Arms Hotel in the near future.
Scotland
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I stayed here recently to attend a family funeral which was hard enough but I was very pleasantly surprised by the standard of rooms for a 3 star hotel. They were very well decorated, my room had good ventilation via a velux window and an excellend bathroom with big bath and shower. The room was certainly better than many 4 star hotels I have stayed in. It was also very quiet despite the ferocoius storm outside!

It is slightly pricey compared to similar hotels in Belfast and indeed elsewhere in the UK. The cooked breakfast was very good although the continental selection was pretty non existent with a few cereals and two warm yoghurts on display! After one day of a cooked breakfast I could have done with something a bit lighter.

Anyway, overall a very high standard maintained in the rooms which made for an extremely comfortable stay . Most of the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful, however a few more smiles on the reception desk wouldn't go amiss!

Thank you everyone. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the bar.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
ownerbeechlawn, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
On behalf of the Strangford Arms Hotel I would like to thank you for your custom and for taking the time to post your complimentary comments about the standard of our Bedroom facilities and for praising our staff. This gives our Staff great encouragement that they are recognised and appreciated for their friendly and professional approach.

We openly encourage constructive criticism throughout all aspects of our business and I can assure you that I will address the issues regarding our Continental selection at breakfast and the comments made about our Receptionists will be dealt with by further in-house training. We do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers.

We do regularly release extremely good value accommodation offers both internally through our direct on-line booking service on our Website and through on-line booking agents.

Again, many thanks for your custom and we hope to see you in the near future.
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This is Possable the werst Hotel that we have ever stayed at as a Mature Copple, The Receptionest was almost Asleep at her desk on arrival with a Lacksy Daysey Approch The room was not to bad However the Fan in the Bathroom was very Loud and could not be turned off, The TV was either 17 or 18in Minute and hardly visable unless you sat write inf runt of it, The heating in the room was unbearable it was so hot and if you opened the window to compansate the Noise from outside our room was Rediculouse Day and Night then a street Cleaner outside at 6.50am did not help, However the Breakfast was the werst Part, 1 Slice of Toast deliverd to you on a side plate NO TOAST RACKS a pot of Tea and Coffee that only held 1 Cup Each Followed by Warter Down fruit juice and a incredably small overcooked fryed breakfast that consittid of Really Cheap Sausage and Bacon Overdun fried egg and Burnt fried Bread No beans No mushrooms no extra toast no extra tea or coffee Infact the waitor never came anywhear near our or anyone elses table once he had delived the Very Very Spatinist Breakfast that we had ever had Both seen or tried to eat, We had booked for 3 days but left at 8.45am on the second day needless to say Without the Breakfast as a bag of crisps would of been more filling, and to top things off the Strangford Arms Hotel is also Well Overpriced for what you get for your money as our 2 Breakfasts pu together would not of cost any more that £2.50 and thats us being genarus so we said Goodbye and Good Riddens ?

Room Tip: Stay Somewhear Eals !
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David H
On behalf of the Strangford Arms Hotel I would like to thank you for your custom and for taking the time to inform me of your dissatisfaction during your stay. I have been able to identify your booking as you have also left a similar comment on “Booking .com” and this enabled me to fully investigate the circumstances and interview my staff who were on duty and looked after you during your stay. I hope you can accept my explanation regarding this matter.
1. Our Staff and I were very disappointed to hear about your issues as you made no complaint during your stay. We openly encourage constructive criticism throughout all aspects of our business as we provide Comment Cards tailored for each department. This enables us to strive to achieve first class friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean pleasant and comfortable surroundings, as we very much value and appreciate all our customers and their point of view.
2. I will address the issue of inattentive Staff by implementing further in-house training and for this I do apologise.
3. After checking your bedroom, I found no problem with the fan in the bathroom as all the fans are linked to the bathroom light switch and when turned off the fan will run for a couple of minutes, and then automatically switch off. Our staff are aware of this energy saving device and if you had enquired about this issue it would have been easily explained and rectified.
4. I am sorry that you felt that the size of the TV was too small. I can confirm that they are 19” LCD flat screens and we feel that they are adequate for hotel bedrooms of this size.
5. The heating in all our bedrooms are thermostatically controlled at the radiator and can be easily adjusted to suit the comfort of the individual guest. As we are a town centre Hotel the consequence of opening your window will cause outside noise, associated with urban activity travelling into your room, which is unfortunately out of our control.
6. Breakfast: Our waiter informed me that you did not request any extra toast, coffee or tea nor did you make any comment about your hot meal. I can assure you we do not water-down our Orange and Cranberry Juice. I am sorry breakfast did not meet with your approval.
7. I can confirm that you did only stay for two out of the three nights booked and when booking out our receptionist did inquire regarding the reason for your early departure. You informed her that a family member was ill and you had to book out early. You gave no indication that you were dissatisfied with your stay!
8. I can confirm that the Rate you paid was £31.45 per person sharing (included VAT) which included a full Irish breakfast. We constantly monitor Hotel rack rates and promotional offers and we are confident that this is a very competitive rate.

In response to your posting and the disbelief that you had so many complaints and failed to bring any of the afore mentioned issues to our attention at the time of your stay, I then investigated your other postings and find it unbelievable that you have had so many bad experiences especially in establishments that are receiving regular good comments and reviews! In particular Elaine in Pine Tree B&B in Ballymoney who had 100% positive feedback until your review!

Again I would like to stress we do encourage constructive criticism, as we are always striving to obtain first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times!
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2013

we arrived on Friday and left on Sunday, approaching the hotel I was fearing the worst as it looked like a busy pub with a large pink motel attached, don't let this put you off, inside the staff were lovely the room was clean and a good standard (except we didn't have a window).
Friday night we dined with friends in the restaurant which was fantastic, a large reasonably priced menu and we all loved our choices. in the mornings the full Irish breakfast was ok but a little disappointing especially if you have ever sampled a proper one, however there was lots of toast, cereal, fruit etc to keep you healthy.
all in all this we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
On behalf of the Strangford Arms Hotel and LeWinters Bistro Bar & Restaurant, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive and complimentary comments. This gives our Staff great encouragement that they are recognised and appreciated for their friendly, professionalism and hard work. Thank you for praising the standard of our Bedroom facilities and we were pleased to hear that your party felt that we provided cuisine of a high standard; in quality, choice and value.
I will address the standard of the cooked breakfast by discussing the issue with the breakfast-chef. I was pleased to hear that you were happy with the large choice of alternatives offered during breakfast time. We do strive to achieve first class, friendly service, excellent food and beverage in clean, pleasant and comfortable surroundings and we do very much value and appreciate all our customers.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

we were in Northern Ireland for business and stayed for one night.The rooms are pleasant newly decorated and nice bathrooms.Both very clean.My room overlooked the road and had 3 windows so it was noisey and cold.Were we there in the snow and very low temperatures but there was not double glazing in the windows,they were old and ill fitting.The service in the bar/resturant was good for Dinner.Breakfast wasn't very good and the coffee was terrible!
i would be happy to stay thete again and would feel comfortable to eat alone in the lounge area

Room Tip: try to get a room not facing the Main Road
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
ownerbeechlawn, Owner at Strangford Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
On behalf of the Partners, Management and Staff of the Strangford Arms Hotel and LeWinters Bistro Bar and Restaurant, I wish to thank you for your custom and taking the time to post your positive, complimentary and constructive comments.

Thank you for praising the standard and cleanliness of our Bedroom facilities. Although I cannot be certain of the specific room that you stayed in, I can confirm that we have had similar comments regarding Room 237 and therefore I assume this may have been the Room that you stayed in. I do apologise for any discomfort you experienced during your stay and the poor service you experienced during breakfast. I am currently looking into secondary glazing the windows which should rectify both the sound and the problems arising from single glazed windows.
Thank you for praising our staff during dinner service and I apologise again for the issues you experienced at breakfast and I can assure you this will be addressed with further in-house Staff training.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtownards
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
Stormont Hotel
Stormont Hotel
#10 of 44 in Belfast
La Mon Hotel & Country Club

Been to Strangford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!