“Nice room, terrible breakfast”

and 1 more site!
Strangford Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newtownards
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Nice room, terrible breakfast”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I recently visited the hotel and stayed on a Saturday night. I was very impressed with the standard double room. Good size and very clean. The view from the window was a wall, though this didn't annoy me as it is dark early evening anyway. I had a lovely meal in Le Winters. our waiter was a young boy, and was very pleasant. I thought the meal was reasonably priced, the drink is a bit pricey but I expected that. The bar was lively and had a great atmosphere. The whole evening was fantastic, but the next morning was such a disappointment. The breakfast was horrendous. The cooked breakfast was cold, I tried to call the waitress over to see if it was available to even get it heated in the microwave. She just walked past me on two occasions. I ended up having a yoghurt for my breakfast. If I was to stay again I would choose the room only option.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M_K380

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Check in was very quick and very easy and thats always good after a long day.

I was a bit dissapointmed at old bobbled tatty sheets on my bed when I got to my room so rang reception. Fair play to them they came up and changed it straight away.

Here goes, positives:
-Food - Nice food in the bar attached to it.
-Cleanliness - I even had a bath on that night, and I'm pretty fussy with bathrooms.
-Staff - Everyone I spoke to was friendly
-Comfy bed

Negatives
-Service in bar - I waited 20 minutes at least between courses and had to pop my head round the kitchen to get my main.
-Prices of food - Thought it was a bit steep, even for Ireland.
-No Gym or pool facilities

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Stayed in the superior room and was immediately impressed with the size and standard of the room, especially the shower and bath in the bathroom. The room was extremely clean and modern. My partner and I ate in the hotel's restaurant which had a great atmosphere and the menu was very varied; I ate the Chicken Valentino which would beautiful. The waitress 'Sara' was extremely polite and very helpful, and other staff member 'Richard' who we met various times throughout our stay always asked if we were in need of anything, and suggested we go to the local cinema and provided directions and cinema times which was great. He also advised we return to the hotel bar afterwards for drinks as they would be having a live band which we were unaware of, and did so which was also great entertainment as it meant we didn't have to go wondering in the area. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel for couples or groups of friends and plan on going back in a couple of months.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kirsty B
Newtownards, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

2nd review in a month but just have to comment on how good it was. Family of 7 called in Sunday lunch time with no booking. Lots of tables reserved but they promptly found us a table with minimum fuss.
Great helpful staff couldn't do enough for us. Great varied menu with lots of choices. Food served promptly and quality very good.
Great access from the car park at the rear , really good for baby buggies or wheel chairs.
Well worth a visit

Stayed December 2013
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We ate here for a family meal out and although the food was very good, the service left a lot to be desired. For example, we weren't given menus for twenty minutes after being shown to our table, despite it not being particularly busy. The drinks orders were very slow too- it was quicker getting up and going to the bar ourselves than waiting for the table service staff who actually got the orders muddled up twice! Our waitress was glum and grumpy and clearly did not want to be there which was off putting. Everyone's food was very good, it was just a shame about the service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Newtownards hotels

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Have eaten here several times and it is fabulous. Great choice for vegetarians and my son just loves coming here on a Sunday, when there is a bouncy castle out and lots of activities for the little ones. Staff are very attentive and it is very well priced. Nice, clean surroundings and friendly,welcoming atmosphere. Will be back again and again.

• Stayed July 2013
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed for two nights, excellent service from all the staff. Food was very good. Manager was very friendly and helpful. We were upgraded to the Bridal suite( we wern't on our honeymoon ) which was lovely and spacious. Would visit again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtownards
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Holywood
Portaferry Hotel
Portaferry Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portaferry

Been to Strangford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!