“I Need Of An Update”

Strangford Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newtownards
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've stayed at the Strangford Arms Hotel a number of times recently, and whilst it is a nice hotel in a good location for my work, it does need a bit of an update. The rooms are of a decent size, and the bed in my last room was massive and comfortable.

The bistro bar serves decent food and the breakfast is OK.

On my last visit, whilst sat having a quiet meal by myself, the peace was broken by a wedding party taking place in the hotel. I certainly don't have anything to say about weddings, but on a Wednesday evening!!! It would have been nice to have some form of indication that a wedding was being held during my stay, I would have booked elsewhere if I had know. So, the restaurant became very noisy, there was a balcony next to my window, where extremely drunk guests were shouting, and then the incessant thump of a disco until quiet late. Not what you want when on a business trip.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a wedding on during your stay
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JuSlaughter

Reviewed 12 May 2014

After looking for a while for a suitable hotel for a wedding we were attending near Belfast I came across the Strangford arms as it was close to the wedding venue. I emailed to ask about availablility for myself, my husband and another couple we were travelling with, and recieved a very prompt response from Lauren, when we decided to book the hotel she called me on request and was happy to reserve the rooms with no deposit which was great. We arrived at around 4:30pm on Friday 9th May to find that one of our rooms had been upgraded free of charge which was fantastic, they do ask for a card to pre authorise for £100 per room which is clearly stated on the booking confirmation and Lauren had already explained this over the phone so it was fine, unfortunately my debit card wasn't suitable so they allowed us to pay for our room up front and for our friends to guarantee the extra £100 for us on their credit card, which was no problem for us but if you have a Visa Electron card be aware that you will have the same issue. we had room 225 and it was spacious and spotlessly clean, the bed was large, mattress was firm but comfy, bathroom was a good size and as previously requested we had an iron and an ironing board in our room. the iron itself could do with being replaced as the buttons for the steam setting was broken but it still did the job. The Shower screen attached to the bath didn't reach the whole way down so the bathroom floor got a little wet when I was showering but the water was hot and the toiletries provided were lovely.
the other couple we travelled with had been given an Economy room (which is exactly what we booked) and the room was very small, you get what you pay for without a doubt and the rooms were very cheap (£50 per room per night inc breakfast) however the room they had was very close to the road and very noisy so they asked the lady at reception if there was any other economy rooms available further away from the road. the receptionist was very helpful to them and arrange for them to change rooms, not only that but they were upgraded to room 221 which was of a higher standard than the economy rooms. They were very pleased with this.
the breakfast both days was lovely, not the biggest portions for the fried breakfast but it was very nice, lovely pached eggs and the soda and potato bread was delicious. The staff were extremely helpful and they took care of our luggage on the day of departure after checking out so we could go and explore Newtownards (the Scrabo tower is a lovely little hike and the views from there are amazing)
This was a very pleasant stay for the price we paid and I would definately stay again. The reason I have given 4/5 was that noises did wake us all up early (slamming doors, someone singing downstairs at 6am and the fan outside of our friends room kept them up on Friday) as the walls are pretty thin, also the small problems like the debit card issue, iron and the bathroom screen.

Room Tip: I would definately ask for a room away from the road when booking, also other guests have mentioned...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights B&B over the weekend whilst over playing golf at Scrabo. The hotel was absolutely fine. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfy.
All the staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful (as were all the people we met in Newtownards)
The nightclub within the hotel seems to be very popular on a Saturday night and is a great way to pass a few hours.
The cooked breakfast was not huge but was nevertheless very good.
I would say for what we paid for 3 nights B&B was excellent value for money and I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My partner and I wom the wedding competition in the hotel which included an overnight stay with 4 course meal and breakfast next morning. All the staff were brilliant, making us feel like VIPs for the duration of our stay. We were given the bridal suite which was immaculate with everything we needed to make our stay enjoyable. Can't wait to hold our wedding here in September and would definitely recommend the Strangford Arms to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I'd been here before for dinner with a few friends and enjoyed it, so we came back for a catch-up and to take advantage of their current buy one get one free main course offer. There were six of us in total this time, and we nabbed the comfy seats in the 'library' part of the restaurant and were quickly handed menus and had our drink orders taken.
My goat's cheese in pastry starter was bigger than I'd expected, which was excellent as it was really tasty. We got some wine on the go for our main and just opted for the house white, which was very nice. My duck was so delicious I tried to finish the last little bit even though I was quite full. Next time I'll go when I haven't had such a late lunch in work so I can scoff it all! It came with some vegetables and I got sweet chilli chunks with sour cream which were lovely. I tried a bit of my friend's pork medallions which had a great flavour to them also.
The seats by the fire had freed up by the time we had all finished our meal, so we moved there to enjoy a few more drinks. It was a monday night so the atmosphere was very relaxed and cosy, which was perfect for what we came for.
The staff were quite helpful throughout but not too intrusive, which I like. I'd definitely go back, especially while the offer's on (although the menu seemed reasonable enough as it was), and recommend it to anyone wanting good food in a cosy surrounding.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hugga_boo
Reviewed 28 February 2014

recently visited what was advertised as aWedding fair with my wife and daughter to see what was on offer for future wedding. On arrival had to find our way upstairs where the fair was and into a room which was tastefully laid out for a wedding. 2 members of staff were in attendance (looked like management level) neither made any effort to engage us as we walked around the room. A waiter pushed past us with a tray of nibbles which he deposited on the bar without offering around anyone. we left this room to see what else was on offer only to find a lone waitress looking completely bored leaning against a wall beside some tea & coffee. I had to ask for coffee which was served by the waitress who did not appear to have changed her waistcoat in weeks and seemed to be displaying the previous weeks food down the front of the waistcoat. Most wedding fairs we have been to have other traders displaying goods, the best we got here was a local fashion show trying to advertise mother of the bride outfits which the grandmother of the bride would not wear!! All in all a complete waste of a Sunday afternoon or should I say 10 minutes of a Sunday afternnon. Cannot comment on rooms etc as none were available.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank notimpressed61
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed here while attending a wedding in Newry and loved the place. Fantastic service, sky sports on the TV, great spacious room and great bathroom. The room clean and is near a shopping centre as well as Historic Ruins.

I would definatley stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtownards
Marine Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Killyleagh
Culloden Estate & Spa
Culloden Estate & Spa
#1 of 2 in Holywood

Been to Strangford Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!