Strangford Arms Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Rayanne House(Holywood)
  • Restaurant
All reviewssmall tvpleasant receptionistcurrysmall hotelbreakfast staffroom was clean and comfortablepiping hotscampipavlovahotel barvery pleasant staylovely mealulster frystayed here for one nightcouldn't do enoughwell worth a visittea and coffee
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 September 2006

I had read the reviews below and was concerned about my booking being for this hotel. But I was pleasantly surprised to find how much I enjoyed the stay.

The rooms and corridors need a lick of paint, but the room was comfortable and clean. What makes this hotel is its staff. We were attending a wedding reception here and the layout in the upstairs restaurant was brilliant. Attention to detail by the staff was superb. The food was excellent - cooked well, presented well and there was plenty of it. The bride and groom had every request dealt with in moments and nothing was too much trouble.

Although the room quality is not the best, the friendly and helpful staff made this place a treat. If they update the decor and facilities this hotel will be a hit. If you want a wedding reception venue that gives you peace of mind, this place will see you right.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 28 July 2006

I stay in hotels quite a lot, and I am not exaggerating or being sensationalist when I say this was without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in - business or pleasure!! When you walk in you think it's going to be ok because the reception looks standard enough. Even the attached bar looks good. But believe me, when you start on your journey to your room you soon discover what's to come. When you get to your room be prepared for the worst. The walls are filthy. The covers are old, dirty and smell. There are no windows in most of the rooms - honestly, they have a big mirror, and a sky light. The TV is tiny, and has a bad reception (although, to be fair they do have Sky Sports). Oh, and the skylight doesn't have a have a blind on it to stop the sun streaming in in the morning, so be prepared to be woken up at 6am in summer!!

In summation, trust me on this - you will feel dirty leaving this place. Travel the extra 15 minutes to Belfast and stay there. This place should be shut down!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank HotelToiletries
A TripAdvisor Member
Northampton, UK
Reviewed 13 June 2006

We have just returned from a family wedding in Northern Ireland and stayed at the Strangford Arms Hotel in Newtownards. Having read the reviews we were a little worried, but we had a wonderful weekend, part of which was down to the welcome we received from the hotel staff. From the moment we arrived they could not be faulted, they were friendly and efficient and nothing was too much trouble. We ate in the Bistro on three occasions and found the food to be very good and the service excellent. We stayed on the quiet side of the hotel and although the bedrooms were dated, they were very clean and the beds were comfortable. All in all a lovely weekend in some beautiful countryside and we would be only too happy to return.

• Stayed: June 2006
Reviewed 16 May 2006

Stay well clear. The staff are a joke. Food is overpriced. Nightclub is a magnet for undesirables and will keep you up all night. This really is a filthy pit.

• Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank CmontheHoops
A TripAdvisor Member
NI
Reviewed 1 March 2006

Myself and my wife were delighted to attend a birthday party at this hotel, and moreso when we heard there was a special overnight rate of £50 per couple B&B.

The following morning when I checked out, it broke my heart to hand this cash over - had WE been handed the £50 by the manager by way of compensation or award for actually staying there, then I would have still feel short changed.

Trust me people, the rooms are circa 1980's, there is no comfort, the bathroom - yuck! The breakfast? - didnt happen...they ran out of food!!

In summary, if your choice is either here or a youth hostel, and the cost is less than £10 per night, then perhaps you'll go for it!

Good Luck