Just back from a few nights in the Bushtown Hotel. I don't want to say that this was a bad stay but we have certainly had better.
The appearance of the hotel is old but pretty, when you get inside it just looks old and dated i'm afraid. The hotel just smells old and musty, except the hallway to our room which smelt very strongly of washing detergent as the laundry in on the ground floor.
On arrival the reception staff were friendly and helpful, they weren't sure if the room was ready and tried to contact housekeeping to check but got no reply, this set the tone for the housekeeping staff, but I'll get to that later. The receptionist had to go walking around the hotel to check if our room was ready which thankfully it was.
We ate in the restaurant on the first night and have no complaints at all, the staff were amazing in there and the food was very tasty and very good value we felt. Likewise with breakfast, staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, the only issue I had was that even the tea and coffee was self service and not brought to the table for you, but that is nothing major at all.
The biggest disappointment was the cleaning and housekeeping, the entire hotel looks like it needs a huge deep clean, it appears that only what people can see is cleaned. Prime example in our bedroom, one of the kids moved the bed and underneath it we found an empty wine bottle and some biscuits that had been dropped, we left the bottle out to be removed but it was left there for another day and night. When we found the bottle I stated to move some of the other furniture out of curiosity and found loads of wrappers and papers in behind them. On one of the days the room was made up very late in the day, again no major issue except for the fact that one bed wasn't made, another one had the duvet thrown over a cushion that had been on the bed and the 3rd bed it was clear that someone had been sitting on it either having a break or waiting for someone to finish, I brought this up with the receptionist and was advised they would bring it up with housekeeping the next day, the issue was never rectified nor mentioned to us at check out. It left a bad taste in the mouth.
We also used the pool at the hotel, small in size but we were happy with that as our kids are still learning to swim. There wasn't enough towels when we arrived so were advised to bring some from our room to use and there are no signs advising of the depth of the pool in either the shallow or deep end.
Overall, it's not bad enough for us to never to stay there again, a lot more attention to detail and this would be a lovely place but if I had a choice between here and another hotel of similar price I would go elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bushtown Hotel & Country Club is set amidst mature woodland on the outskirts of the university town of Coleraine & is only a stone's throw from the beautiful Causeway Coast and Antrim Glens. Recently Awarded Best Hotel Restaurant 2010 and is a member of Taste of Ulster guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your The Bushtown Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bushtown Hotel And Country
- The Bushtown Hotel Coleraine, Northern Ireland