“More Than Pictures Can Show”

Downhill Beachhouse
Reviewed 12 January 2011

The Downhill Hostel was one of my favorite places that I stayed in all of Ireland. During my 23 days in Ireland and Northern Ireland, the scenery of the Downhill Hostel was certainly the best of any place me and my friends stayed. McCall and William were hospitable and gracious.

We definitely recommend going up to Giant's Causeway and really enjoyed the Downhill Estate. The Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge was a dud for me and my friends, just didn't seem worth the price. I definitely recommend anyone stay at the Downhill Hostel for more than one night. We tried to do just one night and that simply wasn't enough, so we stayed a second night.

The beach is incredible and it was one of the most relaxing days we had on our whole trip.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 November 2010

the hostel sits in front of a beautiful 6 mile long golden beach. If you like hostels, you'll love this one. I woke up in the middle of the night and took the 30 second stroll onto the beach. It was deadly looking out for the pirates ghosts. Didn't manage to see any but you could be sure they were there. I did manage to meet a night fisherman and maybe he was a ghost or maybe he was a dream. Who knows? Downhill was magical for me anyway.......

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 November 2010

Have been here quite a few times and all my friends and myself loved it every time. It's great to wake up with the sound of waves that drags you out to this great beach just in front of the house. The area is great, so is the house and the people! Will always come back when I need to get away from everything else and want to spend a great time.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Situated in a calm and tranquil area .The sea breeze and beautiful coast line .Hostel - clean and very up to date .

Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2010

There are no words. I only stayed there one night two years ago but, when the city is too much for me, I close my eyes and go back to Downhill - there's like a higher power in this place, it made me so peaceful.
The hostel itself is great too, I particularly loved the room downstairs with all the books from where you could see the sea.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We went here for a romantic holiday and little did I know we would leave being engaged! The location is fab and the house is beautiful! It is perfect for going to all the tourist attractions around the north. I hope to be back at some stage and would def. recommend it to others!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2010

‎5 stars is not enough to describe Downhill Hostel. It's amazing place, with magical atmosphere, friendly stuff and.. chance to surf! If I didn't have appointment for next day I'd stay longer, and we'll be back next year for sure! Words can't describe how wonderful it is :D

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family