“Very disappointed”

The Shrewsbury Lodge
Ranked #2 of 7 Birkenhead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I checked trip advisor prior to booking this hotel, and am astounded at the positive comments. The room I had was a double ensuite. The window sills, walls and carpets were filthy. The wardrobe door had a handle missing and an exposed screw. The walls are so thin I could hear everything happening in the room next door. My door rattled despite being locked as it didn't fit properly in the frame. The room had a vague smell when I arrived, as I remained in the room during the evening it was apparent that the smell was vomit ( probably from a previous guest). I was a lone female traveller and expected this room to reflect the ones I had seen on the website, and from customer photos on trip advisor, I was very wrong, and spent a very long night as a result. I would never recommend this guest house, it requires a lot of money, care, time and attention to get it to a standard.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank 410sarahc
Julie_GM_13, Owner at The Shrewsbury Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback we always welcome feedback from our guest be it positive or negative,
Please trust your detailed and constructive comments have been taken on board.
The décor of the room, I agree has seen better days, and the room, I agree, is due a refurbishment, as this was reflected in the discounted price of £45.55 (double room), However what I don’t agree with, is your hard criticism, which is totally uncalled for. I’m also astounded that you didn’t come to see me to discuss it. We could have then rectified all this and offered you another room. Simple as that.
I just need to point out that at no time, has anyone been sick in that room, what it probably was, the guest in the room next door ate a pizza in his room that day. Simple as that.
We continue to strive to ensure all of our guests receive an enjoyable and comfortable stay, and assure all reviewers that all feedback is discussed and referred to enabling thorough staff training.
Thank you taking the time and effort to put together a very negative review of my hotel and thank you again for your feedback, I apologise again for the hotels short comings during your stay.
If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0151 652 4029 Julie

Reviewed 12 April 2013

Wonderful stay felt very welcomed spend my life in hotels. And it's was very nice to be welcomed as if it was there home. Wonderful stay would recommend. Only down side was it was national weekend so prices were little higher than usual but would defentky stop again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I spent a few day earlier this week at this hotel and thorough enjoyed my time. The staff were more than helpful, the breakfast was delicious and my room, although very small, was comfortable and clean. The bed was cosier than expected and I loved how peaceful the energy there is. If I were to change one thing, it would be that the Internet service provided was more reliable. The best signals are when you are in the dining room or near reception. But other than that, it was lovely to find somewhere peaceful and away from the noise of the city. I'll definitely stay here when I return to Liverpool!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

I booked here when I had to attend the ACC and the hotels on offer were way more expensive. A friend recommended this hotel. So glad I followed their recommendation & chose this one! I was so nicely looked after with lovely friendly staff that made me feel right at home. I even had a room with a 4 poster bed! Free Wifi and plenty of electric points for charging up the phone etc. Great breakfast set me up for the long days ahead. Would come here again.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Have just spent a lovely 3 days here and I couldn't have asked for a personable, warm and pleasant stay. As a family run business the attention detail was spot on and I felt so relaxed whilst visiting Liverpool on business. The room was very comfortable , warm and meticulously clean. The breakfast was a veritable feast of fresh fruit juices, cereals and a hearty English breakfast which was. cooked to order and delivered to the table with a smile.

Shrewsbury Lodge is home from home and I am so glad I chose this Bed and Breakfast whilst on business , rather than a sterile hotel room owned by a faceless multinational company.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Not worth the £70 per night room rate for only one person. Breakfast at an 8.30 start on a Saturday (and at over £9 in addition to the room rate) was too late for me, on a working day. There was a slight smell of damp on entry into the dated reception area. The large room (twin and double bed) was cold, I was brought a portable electric heater but then had the choice of kettle or heater> there were only three available plugs, two already taken by an unnecessarily complicated TV system. The bathroom (shower, wash basin and loo) was clean but once again cold , so that towels used before bed had nowhere to dry overnight and were still damp the next morning. The lighting was bad. A very dim overhead shaded light, plus spiders web, and an equally dim sole bedside light. Neither were bright enough to read comfortably and left a gloomy grey light across the room. The other options were to sit on the closed loo seat and use the bright bathroom light plus noisy fan or the downstairs shared room with constantly playing TV . This area was bright but the fire was not put on till 6 pm. This was on a cold evening at the end of November.
I had a one night stay. Overall I felt cheated, it was expensive for what it offered, which was essentially skimpy.

Room Tip: I was in Room 12 at the front of the hotel facing the road junction. If you are not used to hearing...