“Disappointing, dated and dirty.”

The Shrewsbury Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Birkenhead B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Disappointing, dated and dirty.”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Exactly the same experience as 410sarahc. We would not recommend or return to this hotel. When we arrived we were told that the hotel was quite empty, Sunday night, so should be quiet. We can therefore only assume that all the rooms are of a similar standard because why else would you put guests in a dated, cramped and dirty room? There were cobwebs all over the ceiling, a dead spider hanging above the bed, the radiator and walls were filthy, wallpaper was lifting, carpet dirty, net curtain pulled and badly fitting, quilt cover wouldn't fasten because press studs were so worn and the room was generally shabby. The en suite was modern looking and reasonably clean, compared to the room, but miniscule. The door wouldn't fully open because it hit the bed, and wouldn't stay shut because it had no catch or lock! There was also a problem with the shower door, which wouldn't shut properly, and the toilet flush which broke during our stay. The breakfast was OK, but nothing special, and the plastic table cloths were stained and felt grubby. There is also a smell of damp throughout the building. At least one chair in the lounge had been 'repaired' with black sticky tape which looked awful. All in all a poor experience and we will not return. Hosts were ok, what bit we saw of them. We assume the owners/managers perhaps live off site because we required assistance around 10pm, but when we called the number we were told by their daughter that they were probably in bed now and couldn't help. Julie did ask if we were OK the following morning at breakfast. Oh and be prepared to pay as soon as you sign in. If the owners read this, please sort these issues out because it's simply not fair to charge people for staying in grubby accommodation.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 9! Ask to see the room before you pay.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
North Wales
Reviewed 29 May 2013

What a lovely place to stay, we stayed for one night on 28th May 2013 for our 25th anniversary and nothing was too much. Our first impression was how welcoming Julie & Nick are, they clearly have got a lot of experience in making sure their guests are comfortable and well looked after. We stayed in the "honeymoon" room which was beautiful Room 11A at the front upstairs, on the bed was a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates which a member of my family had organised to have delivered when we arrived, this was no problem for them. The room and en-suite where bright airy and most importantly clean, fresh towels where awaiting us and also tea, coffee facilities. The bed was a four poster which was surprisingly very comfortable as my husband and I have stayed in "Premier Inn's" and "Travel lodges" in the area (even the new Travel lodge in New Brighton) and despite one of them "guaranteeing a good night sleep" this has never been the case as we have always had to go home half way through the night due to uncomfortable beds. The atmosphere is very relaxing and their service is second to none.

I highly recommend to anyone that if you want a quality hotel which oozes character and personality where service is excellent then "Shrewsbury Lodge" is for you. If you just want a bed that is basically hardboard with no comfort ensuring a restless night sleep and no interaction with a human being then go to a Travel lodge or Premier Inn.

Room Tip: It's important to be greeted by friendly people whenever staying anywhere as this will determine...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shatraj
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

. First –rate accommodation, clean, safe, staff are caring and very friendly. Room is spacious, en-suite with a comfortable double bed .I have been here for just over 3 months and would not dream of staying anywhere else, in this ideal area. It is not too far from my work,i walked there nearly every day . I would recommend this to anyone. If work brought me up to Birkenhead again I wouldn't hesitate in booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 15 is spacious,especially nice if you are a long stayer at the Hotel.Only downside sometimes th...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I checked trip advisor prior to booking this hotel, and am astounded at the positive comments. The room I had was a double ensuite. The window sills, walls and carpets were filthy. The wardrobe door had a handle missing and an exposed screw. The walls are so thin I could hear everything happening in the room next door. My door rattled despite being locked as it didn't fit properly in the frame. The room had a vague smell when I arrived, as I remained in the room during the evening it was apparent that the smell was vomit ( probably from a previous guest). I was a lone female traveller and expected this room to reflect the ones I had seen on the website, and from customer photos on trip advisor, I was very wrong, and spent a very long night as a result. I would never recommend this guest house, it requires a lot of money, care, time and attention to get it to a standard.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 410sarahc
Julie_GM_13, Owner at The Shrewsbury Lodge, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback we always welcome feedback from our guest be it positive or negative,
Please trust your detailed and constructive comments have been taken on board.
The décor of the room, I agree has seen better days, and the room, I agree, is due a refurbishment, as this was reflected in the discounted price of £45.55 (double room), However what I don’t agree with, is your hard criticism, which is totally uncalled for. I’m also astounded that you didn’t come to see me to discuss it. We could have then rectified all this and offered you another room. Simple as that.
I just need to point out that at no time, has anyone been sick in that room, what it probably was, the guest in the room next door ate a pizza in his room that day. Simple as that.
We continue to strive to ensure all of our guests receive an enjoyable and comfortable stay, and assure all reviewers that all feedback is discussed and referred to enabling thorough staff training.
Thank you taking the time and effort to put together a very negative review of my hotel and thank you again for your feedback, I apologise again for the hotels short comings during your stay.
If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0151 652 4029 Julie
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Wonderful stay felt very welcomed spend my life in hotels. And it's was very nice to be welcomed as if it was there home. Wonderful stay would recommend. Only down side was it was national weekend so prices were little higher than usual but would defentky stop again.

• Stayed April 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I spent a few day earlier this week at this hotel and thorough enjoyed my time. The staff were more than helpful, the breakfast was delicious and my room, although very small, was comfortable and clean. The bed was cosier than expected and I loved how peaceful the energy there is. If I were to change one thing, it would be that the Internet service provided was more reliable. The best signals are when you are in the dining room or near reception. But other than that, it was lovely to find somewhere peaceful and away from the noise of the city. I'll definitely stay here when I return to Liverpool!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

I booked here when I had to attend the ACC and the hotels on offer were way more expensive. A friend recommended this hotel. So glad I followed their recommendation & chose this one! I was so nicely looked after with lovely friendly staff that made me feel right at home. I even had a room with a 4 poster bed! Free Wifi and plenty of electric points for charging up the phone etc. Great breakfast set me up for the long days ahead. Would come here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
Riverhill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Thornton Hough
Black Lions Guest House
Black Lions Guest House
#4 of 8 in Birkenhead

Been to The Shrewsbury Lodge? Share your experiences!