“Look elsewhere - but don't stay here” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Shrewsbury Lodge

The Shrewsbury Lodge
Ranked #2 of 8 Birkenhead B&B and Inns
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Look elsewhere - but don't stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I recently booked 6 rooms for a family gathering based on location. As part of the deal they included breakfast at the room only price of £76.00. Our own room was not bad if you based it on size. Sink taps not secured and an overall stale smell. Other rooms could be described as nothing short of "box rooms" and as such with little furniture. Ours like all the others was certainly "past it's sell by date".

How on earth others can use the word excellent in their review is frankly beyond me. Having arranged the booking myself I was disappointed and embarrassed. I wrote to the Hotel and said so......I didn't even get a reply, which speaks volumes and suggests the complaints are indefensible !!!

Room Tip: Don't choose any of them.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank David T
Julie_GM_13, Owner at The Shrewsbury Lodge, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
It is with great regret that I have to reply to a review on here in this manner. Unfortunately the letter mentioned was not received by us; if it had been I can assure you I would have called to discuss your issues over the phone.

Firstly you mention that there was no host yet Tania, the young lady who you speak of has been a member of our team for 7 years now and is very popular with our guests, old and new. We consider her as one of our hosts. She dealt with your parties booking and requested that she be on shift to meet your family. Upon booking rooms it was explained that we are an old building and each room differs in shape and size to be in keeping with the character of the building, so room sizes would vary. Mr Tattler, was pleased with this, expressing that he preferred to stay in small family run establishments rather than clinical big chains. However, we do understand that we can not cater to everyone’s personal taste when a booking is made on behalf of others.

I had telephone conversations with members of your family and we discussed all the matters in much detail, and I apologised for any upsetting caused. We do not offer refunds, So I quickly offered your relative a complimentary nights stay with us at a time to suit in order for us to make up for our shortcomings, as incidents like this are extremely rare with us. However, this offer was immediately rejected with harsh comments, which was subsequently followed by the three horrendous reviews put on Trip Advisor by your family. This has not only been distressing for me and my team, but we can’t quite understand how you did not let us know any of your concerns, as your Host was available throughout your stay and upon check out? Had you have done this, I assure you we would have happily amended any problems immediately in order to make sure your stay was as pleasant as possible.

In order to go over your relative’s comments, I have contacted our linen company and the quality of our towels is promised to be of a higher standard, the television has been replaced with a brand new wall mounted flat screen and the cleanliness issues have been addressed with the members of staff responsible and further training has been given to make sure it does not happen again. As for the breakfast, I think it comes down to personal taste and our guests are always satisfied with our selection; however we appreciate positive criticism and have taken your suggestions on board. Ritchie, our newest member of the team is now up to scratch with breakfast service and will not be serving hot water in anything but a teapot; he is really enjoying his job and is proving to be an asset to our team. We have used this experience as an opportunity to better our service; my entire team have pulled together and have put procedures in place to ensure that this will not happen again.

Once again, I would like to apologise that your stay was not to your liking; we welcome all feedback whether it be positive or negative as we see it as an opportunity to improve our guest’s experience. We see this only as a way of further developing our business.

Regards,
Julie Champion, Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Preston, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were unlucky enough to book 2 rooms AT A COST OF £76 EACH. and were DISGUSTED AT THE CONDITION. Torn duvet cover, bathroom door would not close properly TAP loose,THICK DUST, splash marks on the doors and walls, FAULTY FLUSH on toilet, THREE coat hangers from a dry cleaners , STAINED FRAYED towels. The tv was a tiny old fashioned one WITH A DIGI BOX ON TOP with no remote, AND CAKED IN THICK DUST. AT BREAKFAST I asked for a jug of hot water with the tea and was brought a cup, JUST NO IDEA . I was told the boy was training. we ,briefly went into the lounge, that was also dirty, and had bottle tops on the floor , I EXPECT THAT THE CLEANER IS TRAINING AS WELL . MY ADVICE DONT GO, AND GET RIPPED OFF LIK WE DID

Room Tip: not broom cupboard 6 or room 9
6 Thank SHEENA313
liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

My daughter and I came down to visit family in Oxton. The Shrewsbury lodge was recommended to us, so we thought we would give it a try due to good reviews from friends and family. We stayed for a total of 3 nights and we found our stay to be a very comfortable and enjoyable experience. The welcome which we got was very warm and welcoming which I think is an important aspect of feeling comfortable where you are staying. The staff were always making sure that we had everything we needed, and if there was anything that they could offer to make our stay any better. The room was immaculate and the bed was of nice size and very comfortable, overall the room was of high standard. I have recommended this hotel to many friends and will definitely be returning soon.

4 Thank helen c
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

My mum son and I stayed in a family room for 3 nights. The room was clean and the beds so comfortable. This family run hotel gives you a family but professional feel to the hotel. The breakfast was superb with lots of choice.
The surrounding area is a pretty little village with a couple of local pubs within close walking distance. Easy access to Liverpool with links to the port to get you onto the 'ferry across the Mersey'. The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and will answer any questions or queries you have.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay there again, rather than one of the larger chains.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank slogan15
Julie_GM_13, Owner at The Shrewsbury Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
We are thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you so much for this wonderful review. Our staff work hard to ensure all our guests receive the best hospitality, and we are delighted that you are happy with the service we provide. We look forward to having you as our guests again, best wishes!
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Me and my dog stayed here Bank Holiday August for 3 nights. We were made welcome. I felt comfortable here, and would recommend this hotel. Breakfast was delightful, well prepared and good. My room was clean and comfortable. The Shrewsbury lodge is in a quiet area of Birkenhead with good bus links direct to Liverpool and Birkenhead. The pretty village centre of Oxton is less than a 10 min walk, as is a great Pub 2 mins away.
I shall use The Sherewsbury Lodge again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Julie_GM_13, Owner at The Shrewsbury Lodge, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we are thrilled to hear you will be using us again. We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Best wishes!
wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We went to the hotel for a small bridal shower and had high tea/afternoon tea. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times and were equally accomadating to children and elderly members of our family. The member of staff who was with us went over and above to make us comfortable, she is an asset to the business! The food and cakes were delicious also. The levels of cleanliness and hygiene were high and the garden beautiful. Not only would we all return but I will be reccomending this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank katedemp
Thank you so much for your lovely review! I am delighted that you all enjoyed your visit here, and even more so that you will be returning. All our staff take pride in making sure our guests have the best experience possible, and we are very happy to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed yourselves. We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Bingley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Staff friendly,room okay,fantastic choice for a lady travelling on her own as made me feel very comfortable! lovely outside area to eat and drink at the back of the building. Tip for taxi fares, try a few quotes first beforehand, I was charged excessively on return journey from West Brighton.West Brighton was a lovely place to get the sea air and watch the ferries sail past!!

Room Tip: I was in room 1, think was next to the lounge as could hear 2 Russian men arguing into the early hou...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Debbie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
Riverhill Hotel
Z Hotel Liverpool
Z Hotel Liverpool
#18 of 99 in Liverpool
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,300 reviews

Been to The Shrewsbury Lodge? Share your experiences!