“Well worth a visit”
Review of Riverhill Hotel

Riverhill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Birkenhead
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed on business with colleagues, the and would come again!
The rooms were to a very good standard, I had room 7 which was vast and included a four poster bed which was somewhat wasted on me but very nice all the same. The staff were brilliant, very attentive and worked hard throughout our stay. I broke on of my unwritten rules when I stayed here, based on my colleagues recommendation we elected to eat in as opposed to wandering off out to find something to eat as is my want. And I have to say it was the right thing to do! The food was in a word, EXCELLENT it really was fantastic, well cooked, tasty and well presented probably some of the best food I have eaten while on the road!

Would I come again? Absolutely I would, can't wait!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank sdcsmith2000

Reviewed 29 December 2011

this was are 2nd visit for a meal to this hotel, had to go back after our first visit, we found the service, food, and staff,brilliant, would highly recommend!!! and steve the general manager bent over backwards, delivering quality service yet again!!! we will be returning again in the future for are special nights!!!!!! allan b. lennon505

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2011

What a great Hotel, room fantastic, sunday lunch was out of this world and plenty of it. The service was also excellent. Sorry, could not find a negative. During our month in the UK we stayed at some 4 star hotels that were not up to this standard.

Room Tip: We had the room above the restaurant, I think it was No. 3. Lovely view of the front garden and the...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My wife's sister and mother stayed in the Riverhill Hotel for the third time recently and again received excellent & friendly service from all of the staff. Their favourite room is nicely decorated with a cosy feel, the beds being fitted out with very firm mattresses that ensure comfort. When they visit we always join them for an evening meal, and found the food to be at it's usual excellent standard this time. For visitors like ourselves the attractive price makes it great value, especially with the excellent choice of desserts. We look forward to the next time they visit.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

My mother and I stayed at the Riverhill Hotel approx two weeks ago. We stayed for three nights in this little gem. We got an exceptionally warm welcome from the staff at this establishment and were shown to our room by the GM Steve. Our room was comfortable and better than many 4 stars I have stayed in. Lovely white bed linen, super comfy beds and flat screen tv. We ate dinner in the hotel on our first and second nights and we were truly impressed with the food, service and well appointed dining room, we were given a great table by the bay window overlooking the garden. Breakfast is served in the same room and it also was very good. It appears we were not the only ones impressed with this hotel as at breakfast on the first morning others were also commenting on the high caliber of this hotel. I cannot thank the Riverhill enough for our lovely stay and if I ever find myself in this lovely part of the world again I will definitely be staying with Steve and Co. If you do decide to stay here, it only takes a few minutes to walk to the quaint village of Oxton - well worth a wander.

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Stayed just one night here in October and was pleasantly surprised. Had been told the hotel was a bit 'chintzy' but this doesn't detract from the good things about this place.
The room was large, clean and warm with a huge bathroom. Bed was extremely comfy and large, we'd chosen one of the four poster rooms and I'd definitely recommend it.
What's great about this place though is the staff. Friendly, courteous and helpful. Nothing felt too much trouble.
What's even better is the food! I'd really suggest eating here if you're staying. The dining room is very smart but without being snooty and although the hotel is 3 star, the food is fantastic. The staff (again) are excellent, menu is fairly extensive and should meet everyone's tastes.
Would definitely come back and stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We have just returned from a two night stay and unfortunately we were disappointed as the hotel did not meet our expectations.
We were allocated room 23 next to the front door and as identified in another review this room smells strongly of smoke and did not feel particularly clean especially as we discovered a pair of dirty socks and used tissues in one of the drawers on arrival. This room is in a part of the hotel that appears to be a prefabricated extension and is a little like staying in a caravan being a little cramped and can be very noisy particularly when the night porter decides to sweep up outside the front entrance at 6am which he did on Sunday morning, every time his brush touched something solid the noise echoed through the room and made it impossible to sleep.
Staff were generally pleasant and helpful particularly as we checked in quite late and despite the restaurant being about to close we were able to order sandwiches which we ate in a comfortable bar area.
Breakfast is okay, although despite the menu detailing the items included in the standard cooked breakfast, what you get seems to be just what is available in the kitchen as I ordered the same breakfast each morning but it was noticeably different on each occasion. Service is also slow and haphazard as I had finished my cooked breakfast before my wife received the boiled egg she ordered at the same time, it was also noticeable that she had ordered two eggs but only received one.
In conclusion this hotel is quite dated, lacks quality and as such is over-priced at £89.50 per room per night. Its shame our stay was not good and it was perhaps not surprising the reception staff did not ask if we had enjoyed our stay. Sorry but we cannot recommend this hotel as a place to stay but get the impression the restaurant may be worth a visit.

Room Tip: Avoid room 23 if you need a good nights sleep.
4  Thank CarlisleSpitfire
Management response:Responded 11 October 2011

dear guest
Thank you very much for your review on tripadvisor.com

I would like to assure you that your observations are personally read by me and then further reviewed by my team. Thank you for bringing to my attention your concerns with regards to your stay and the organization and breakfast . We are right now investigating what might have gone wrong during your stay to ensure we provide best stay and dining experience for our guests. I sincerely apologize if there was anything not up to your expectations. At the Riverhill hotel guest satisfaction is of paramount importance to us and we continuously strive to achieve this goal.

We are sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations and I only wish you had informed me of your issues earlier as i would have dealt with all your complaints as soon as possible, i have investigated all the issues you have outlined as follows;

A pair of dirty socks and an used tissue, there is no excuse for this being found in your room

Room 23 is a ground floor room, when making your booking you requested a ground floor room for your mother and that is the reason we allocated the ground floor room. We acknowledge that some guests have been smoking in the garden, we will review this and make changes that ensure other guests do not have the problem of the smell of smoke in the room.

I have spoken to the night porter in respect of him brushing up so early this was due to the amount of rubbish and leaves which had fallen due to the heavy winds the evening before and I have pointed out that it would have been wiser to have done this at a later time.

With ref to breakfast we do not rush our guests, but it seems that we did not on this occasion meet the usual standards we set ourselves.

We always want and welcome feedback from our guests be it positive or negative.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Riverhill Hotel in the near future, where we can have the pleasure of serving you once again.

Kind Regards
steve

Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
Travelodge Bromborough Hotel
Travelodge Bromborough Hotel
#2 of 3 in Bromborough

Been to Riverhill Hotel? Share your experiences!