“Restaurant Review”

Riverhill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Birkenhead
“Restaurant Review”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The restaurant and hotel has recently changed ownership so there may be teething troubles. The waiter staff has not changed and they are as good as they have ever been, oh I wish the food was the same. Poorly cooked vegetables, cold potatoes, poor serving size and a price increase which now sees a two course meal for the price of what used to be three courses.

I do wish the new chef every success with what used to be regarded as a top local restaurant.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RailwayNut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Crieff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

There's not that much choice in the immediate area, so for me there was something of a feeling of chance in booking the Riverhill. However I was happy with my decision to stay there. My room was on the small side, but immaculately clean. Breakfast was good, albeit the hot selection portions were rather stingy - when only ordering a small selection from the full breakfast it's friendly to give more than one rasher of bacon and one sausage. But ingredients were quality. The restaurant was full so I couldn't eat in there in the evening, but I picked up from locals that the restaurant is very highly regarded indeed. It's a little on the pricey side - check their website for deals. Staff were friendly.

Beware that the cab firm they favour is not reliable - I ordered a cab for 5.00pm, and went downstairs at 4.55pm to see it driving away. "I'm afraid they are a bit impatient" I was told. Leaving because your fare has not turned up more than 5 minutes early is just downright rude and unacceptable, let alone impatient. I ended up late for an appointment - Riverhill, change your cab company!

Overall a good hotel staffed by pleasant, well-intentioned staff.

Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Mordrydd
Cornwall
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed on business with colleagues, the and would come again!
The rooms were to a very good standard, I had room 7 which was vast and included a four poster bed which was somewhat wasted on me but very nice all the same. The staff were brilliant, very attentive and worked hard throughout our stay. I broke on of my unwritten rules when I stayed here, based on my colleagues recommendation we elected to eat in as opposed to wandering off out to find something to eat as is my want. And I have to say it was the right thing to do! The food was in a word, EXCELLENT it really was fantastic, well cooked, tasty and well presented probably some of the best food I have eaten while on the road!

Would I come again? Absolutely I would, can't wait!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank sdcsmith2000
wirral
Reviewed 29 December 2011

this was are 2nd visit for a meal to this hotel, had to go back after our first visit, we found the service, food, and staff,brilliant, would highly recommend!!! and steve the general manager bent over backwards, delivering quality service yet again!!! we will be returning again in the future for are special nights!!!!!! allan b. lennon505

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2011

What a great Hotel, room fantastic, sunday lunch was out of this world and plenty of it. The service was also excellent. Sorry, could not find a negative. During our month in the UK we stayed at some 4 star hotels that were not up to this standard.

Room Tip: We had the room above the restaurant, I think it was No. 3. Lovely view of the front garden and the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My wife's sister and mother stayed in the Riverhill Hotel for the third time recently and again received excellent & friendly service from all of the staff. Their favourite room is nicely decorated with a cosy feel, the beds being fitted out with very firm mattresses that ensure comfort. When they visit we always join them for an evening meal, and found the food to be at it's usual excellent standard this time. For visitors like ourselves the attractive price makes it great value, especially with the excellent choice of desserts. We look forward to the next time they visit.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My mother and I stayed at the Riverhill Hotel approx two weeks ago. We stayed for three nights in this little gem. We got an exceptionally warm welcome from the staff at this establishment and were shown to our room by the GM Steve. Our room was comfortable and better than many 4 stars I have stayed in. Lovely white bed linen, super comfy beds and flat screen tv. We ate dinner in the hotel on our first and second nights and we were truly impressed with the food, service and well appointed dining room, we were given a great table by the bay window overlooking the garden. Breakfast is served in the same room and it also was very good. It appears we were not the only ones impressed with this hotel as at breakfast on the first morning others were also commenting on the high caliber of this hotel. I cannot thank the Riverhill enough for our lovely stay and if I ever find myself in this lovely part of the world again I will definitely be staying with Steve and Co. If you do decide to stay here, it only takes a few minutes to walk to the quaint village of Oxton - well worth a wander.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Port Sunlight
Holiday Inn Express Liverpool Hoylake

Been to Riverhill Hotel? Share your experiences!