“lovely hotel”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Birkenhead
Leicester, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I had an excellent stay at the hotel. the room was lovely and very clean. the food in the restaurant is excellent and really good value. The staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone either for business or pleasure.
I didn't use the swimming pool or fitness centre and that's why I haven't commented on those.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

I travel with my job 6 months of the year and stay in lots of hotels and eat in lots of restaurants all over Europe I have never stayed on the Wirral but a friend had recommended the Riverhill to me

On first impression it is a small black and white building very clean and well kept reception is modern but friendly and the staff were polite but welcoming and very helpful

I dined both nights I was there and was very impressed with the choice and price exceptionally good value for money
I actually met the chef as she came out of the kitchen at the end of the night again nice touch don't see that often I had the mackerel starter with beetroot and wasabi and the pork loin main course plates were hot and very tasty on my last evening I had the tasting menu as I'm a self confessed foodie which was outstanding
This was my first visit to the Wirral but will not be the last thank you to all the staff for making my stay so enjoyable

• Stayed June 2013
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My family and I have dined here many times and previously had good food but on this visit it was awful. The monkfish was over salted, the terrine starter my wife had was something out of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, it was dry and seemed out of date. My fillet steak which was supposed to be cooked Medium was Rare. We had no dessert because we were so unhappy and for the two of us paid £74.50. When I politely mentioned to the head waiter he said about the terrine that the other 30 odd people were most happy with it and about the Monkfish that it was just seasoning. My wife loves her salt and if something tastes salty to her it must be excessively salted. Sadly this has made us decide to never return to this restaurant for two main points, the attitude when I complained and also the poor quality of the food.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paul z
stephen p, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear guest
I am writing in response to your recent review of our restaurant, I remember that evening I was the manager who greeted you at the front desk when you asked if we had a table available as you had just been to a restaurant in New Brighton and your wife had found it too loud to dine in, and could we accommodate you that evening which we did ,I also was the person who took your dinner order and you first asked if you could have a lamb dish but wanted it very well done and very tender, I explained that we could do that for you but it may not be as tender as you would like so your wife chose the terrine and monk fish , you had scallops, & fillet steak , , when any guest are dinning with us, our staff check them at each course to ensure that everything is ok with their meal and if not we will respond to that , I went over to you at the end of your main course to see how you were enjoying your evening so far and to clear your dish as I could see that you had finished your meal as your plates were empty , and check everything was satisfactory , it was then you expressed that you were not happy with the monk fish as it was very salty yet you had both finished your meals completely , and I did comment that we had served a lot of portions of terrine that evening and all our other guests had enjoyed it , and I was surprised at your overall comments on TripAdvisor if you had identified your dissatisfaction at any course we would have happily changed your meal.
We always like our guest to feedback to us be it positive or negative
Merseyside, England
Reviewed 3 June 2013

On 26th May my son and his new wife held their wedding ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception at the Riverhill, which included 12 of the rooms being booked out to our family (10 included in the wedding package). The exceptional service, delicious food and attention to detail all resulted in an amazing day, and we are still getting message after message praising the overall experience of the wedding. Best of all, the bride and groom have said they couldn’t have dreamed of a better wedding.

As the bride and groom both live in Dubai, they were arranging the wedding with the help of myself and my husband (the bride’s family also live abroad and were flying in just days before the wedding). We booked the wedding after visiting the Riverhill with my son and his then fiance, who both instantly fell in love with the intimate atmosphere and the feel of the place. They both travel around the world working for the airlines and are used to dining and staying in some of the most luxurious hotels. They both feel that the personal service provided by all the Riverhill staff and the warm welcome that our guests from far and wide received rivalled any hotel they have visited and made it the perfect place for their wedding.

The preparations involved meetings/emails between myself, my husband and the manager, Steve, who guided us through many choices and patiently advised along the way. Through my never ending emails I tried to ensure that every detail was covered and changed my mind on several occasions. In hindsight, all of the worry and questions were mainly unnecessary as Steve tied up everything perfectly which resulted in my son, his new wife and our guests having a fabulous day. Both his close attention to everything that was going on, and his humour, made us all feel that we were being well and truly looked after on a personal as well as a professional level. On the day I completely trusted him to organise/sort out whatever arose, and it was trust well placed as I enjoyed the wedding knowing that everything was being seen to with the utmost attention. We are all extremely grateful for the energy he put into this wedding.

We had 65 day guests in total and a further 25 guests in the evening. The dining room was full to capacity but was not cramped. The food was delicious and plentiful. We had soup served with croutons, sorbet with grand marnier, roast sirloin of beef served with the most amazing horseradish sauce, and choice of dessert/fresh fruit salad/cheese. Coffee was served with cream, mints and fudge which delighted those with a sweet tooth. The beef was cooked to perfection, and the fresh and tasty vegetables were served to us, which again added to the whole experience.

The gardens, although not as big as some of the larger wedding venues provide a beautiful, backdrop for the wedding photos and there is a sizeable seating area with tables and umbrellas which looked lovely in the evening when candlelit.

The atmosphere remained vibrant all day – no signs of a drop in energy between the afternoon and evening which can so often happen at weddings. The evening transformed into a party with a disco and dance floor arriving and the bar was lively and busy but again, quite comfortable. Richard, with the help of Mia, did an outstanding job in managing the demands on the bar after putting in a full day looking after everybody with their drinks. The buffet was delicious and replenished immediately as it started to go so fast. At the end of the evening a few family members congregated in the bar and Steve must have overheard someone saying that they were hungry again, as next minute 2 platters of sandwiches arrived which went down very well as an end of evening snack!!

For the guests who stayed, the cleanliness and standard of the rooms was appreciated. The bride’s family who flew in from Malta and Uzbekistan were well looked after and all felt that the hotel well surpassed its 3 star rating with 5 star service, cleanliness and comfort. We all enjoyed the full English breakfast provided the next day, and the morning greeting and smiles from the staff who had worked so hard the day and night before was lovely. Before anyone arrived down for breakfast, the hotel’s apprentice, Anthony, tidied the breakfast room up with balloons, photos, wedding flowers etc so it all looked lovely for the bride and groom on their first morning as husband and wife. Nobody was rushed, Mia waited patiently on us all, and Steve made it an occasion by bringing out a birthday cake for a relative’s 40th and leading us all in singing ‘Happy Birthday’.

A massive thank you goes to Steve and every single member of staff who all played their part in giving us a fantastic day. From the chefs, waiting on staff, receptionists and for those behind the scenes who we didn’t get chance to meet, your hard work was truly appreciated by the bride and groom, both their families and friends. Of the dozens of messages we have received, one of my favourites was ‘The whole day was simply stunning! We will be talking about it forever!’

Thanks again and best wishes to you all at the Riverhill Hotel. If you are looking for a Wirral wedding in an intimate venue with excellent staff, then you must check out the Riverhill.

Room Tip: All rooms are clean and comfortable and tastefully decorated. I personally would prefer to stay in t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah058
Chatham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Myself, my wife and my daughter stayed here to attend a friend's birthday party. The hotel was easy to find and there was plenty of parking and close to reception. I usually stay at chain hotels for business but picked this hotel as it was five minutes walk from the party venue.

To be honest we probably didn't have very high expectations of the hotel but were completely wrong about that! The service was excellent, very friendly, local staff and we felt much more welcome than you do when you check in at a chain hotel. Our room (No. 7) was amazing, very large even with the extra bed for our daughter and very nicely decorated; the bathroom was also very good, nice hot shower with plenty of pressure.

The hotel staff were very helpful and provided directions to our party venue. The breakfast in the morning was very good, freshly cooked to order and a generous size without being too much.

We'd definitely stay here again when we next visit.

Room Tip: Room no. 7 was excellent - plenty of room, good bathroom and lovely bed.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I attended a family wedding at the Riverhill Hotel 25th - 27th May. The staff were all very accommodating, my mum has some health issues so we needed to change her room to a lower floor, even though the hotel was fully booked they managed to juggle rooms to make her stay easier. In all I visited 7 rooms (we had a lot of family stay) none of which could be faulted. The brides room for the night before the wedding had plenty of room for her Mum & 2 bridesmaids to get ready together with the bride. Breakfast was freshly cooked with a good selection of items. As is usual the wedding photos over ran but the roast sirloin was still perfectly pink and it was nice to have the veg silver served which seems to be a dying skill. The receptionist was very helpful, though I think she probably wanted to kill me by the end of the weekend! The staff were very hard working and always smiling, we're still trying to work out when they actually went home to sleep as they seemed to always be there. The folder in the bedroom suggested different things to do from local walks to visitor attractions. I would say this is a perfect venue for a wedding or just a nice weekend away. Thank you again for helping to make my nephews wedding the perfect day it was.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Bebington
Reviewed 25 May 2013

After we had our wedding reception at the hotel a year ago we decided to go back to celebrate our first anniversary. The service as always was wonderful and the staff are chatty and pleasant! Nick the owner is always very welcoming too! The food was fantastic and we were not disappointed, sat in the window overlooking the front lawn with sunshine beaming in. Its such a shame the restaurant wasnt a bit busier, with quality food and service restaurants like this are dying out, especially one so local! We will most certainly be back, I believe Sunday lunch is well worth a try!
Keep up the good work allat Riverhill, especially Claire Masterchef winner!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Port Sunlight
Holiday Inn Express Liverpool Hoylake

Been to Riverhill Hotel? Share your experiences!