“Wow what a difference !!!!”
Review of Riverhill Hotel

Riverhill Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Birkenhead
southport
“Wow what a difference !!!!”
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

I have visited the riverhill for years and years but hadn't been since the new chef has been there I came with my elderly parents who live local the menu was very well balanced something for everyone very reasonable in price and a jolly nice atmosphere I was very very impressed and will be back as I just booked for Christmas I wanted Christmas Day but sadly they were fully booked I also liked the bar area with the fabulous art from the local area

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
stephen p, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear guest
If was very nice to welcome you and your family back to the hotel and for you to take the time to give us your feedback on your visit, I do remember you dining with us and your parents who were both still very witty and full of life, we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in December to enjoy our 2013 Christmas menu offer, please do inform me on your arrival as we can share a drink of winter mead together
Kind regards
Steve
General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We have eaten here a few times and stayed just this once. Its got a nice dignified feel about , quite serene. Parking is easy and on site. Evening meal was a good choice and good quality.Plenty of room for all diners no squashing up to let people past.
The room we had was clean and adequate. Breakfast was very good with quality food. Check and check out fast ,accurate and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
stephen p, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear guest, it is always pleasing to have your guests feedback for our full experience be so positive. We are glad that you enjoyed you evening dinner, overnight stay and breakfast the following morning. We have just launched new packages on our website for staying and dining if you are looking to repeat you experience. Please do give me a call directly if this interest you. We would like to offer you a 10% discount on any of the over night packages we offer. Kind regards. Steve.
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We visited riverhilll on 25th July to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. The reviews on TA influenced me to book a table. My wife's food was fine however I ordered the pork which was over cooked and dry. This was obvious just by looking at it, so not sure why it left the kitchen. I asked. The waiter to take it back and ordered chicken instead. This was also overlooked. Very disappointing experience. I assumed that Clare wasn't in the kitchen on this night, as the food wouldn't have been allowed to go out. Wouldn't go back

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mrnigeguy
West Lothian
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Unfortunately, my Aunt and I had to take a trip at short notice to Merseyside for a family funeral. I checked out a few places on here and late rooms and decided to go with the Riverhill, as it was very close to where my relatives live. I was a little anxious, as I read a few negative reviews on here, and it planted a seed of doubt. I need not have worried.

I found the Riverhill to be a charming and chic boutique style hotel, with some lovely touches and a beautifully appointed twin room. Every member of staff that we engaged with, we're polite, friendly and helpful.

Due to the nature of our visit, we only got to experience the breakfast service in the restaurant. This was more than acceptable, with a great range of fresh food on offer from the buffet and a hot and tasty cooked option. The evening menus looked extremely appealing, and were reasonably priced, we have already agreed with my cousin, that we will be trying out the restaurant for an evening meal the next time we visit.

Please do not let older poor reviews cause concern. I believe that the hotel has undertaken a radical shakedown, and from what I saw and experienced, it has produced a very nice, good value experience.

Room Tip: 22 is a quiet and shady twin!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I had an excellent stay at the hotel. the room was lovely and very clean. the food in the restaurant is excellent and really good value. The staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone either for business or pleasure.
I didn't use the swimming pool or fitness centre and that's why I haven't commented on those.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

I travel with my job 6 months of the year and stay in lots of hotels and eat in lots of restaurants all over Europe I have never stayed on the Wirral but a friend had recommended the Riverhill to me

On first impression it is a small black and white building very clean and well kept reception is modern but friendly and the staff were polite but welcoming and very helpful

I dined both nights I was there and was very impressed with the choice and price exceptionally good value for money
I actually met the chef as she came out of the kitchen at the end of the night again nice touch don't see that often I had the mackerel starter with beetroot and wasabi and the pork loin main course plates were hot and very tasty on my last evening I had the tasting menu as I'm a self confessed foodie which was outstanding
This was my first visit to the Wirral but will not be the last thank you to all the staff for making my stay so enjoyable

• Stayed June 2013
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My family and I have dined here many times and previously had good food but on this visit it was awful. The monkfish was over salted, the terrine starter my wife had was something out of Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, it was dry and seemed out of date. My fillet steak which was supposed to be cooked Medium was Rare. We had no dessert because we were so unhappy and for the two of us paid £74.50. When I politely mentioned to the head waiter he said about the terrine that the other 30 odd people were most happy with it and about the Monkfish that it was just seasoning. My wife loves her salt and if something tastes salty to her it must be excessively salted. Sadly this has made us decide to never return to this restaurant for two main points, the attitude when I complained and also the poor quality of the food.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank paul z
stephen p, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear guest
I am writing in response to your recent review of our restaurant, I remember that evening I was the manager who greeted you at the front desk when you asked if we had a table available as you had just been to a restaurant in New Brighton and your wife had found it too loud to dine in, and could we accommodate you that evening which we did ,I also was the person who took your dinner order and you first asked if you could have a lamb dish but wanted it very well done and very tender, I explained that we could do that for you but it may not be as tender as you would like so your wife chose the terrine and monk fish , you had scallops, & fillet steak , , when any guest are dinning with us, our staff check them at each course to ensure that everything is ok with their meal and if not we will respond to that , I went over to you at the end of your main course to see how you were enjoying your evening so far and to clear your dish as I could see that you had finished your meal as your plates were empty , and check everything was satisfactory , it was then you expressed that you were not happy with the monk fish as it was very salty yet you had both finished your meals completely , and I did comment that we had served a lot of portions of terrine that evening and all our other guests had enjoyed it , and I was surprised at your overall comments on TripAdvisor if you had identified your dissatisfaction at any course we would have happily changed your meal.
We always like our guest to feedback to us be it positive or negative
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Port Sunlight
Crowne Plaza  Liverpool City Centre

Been to Riverhill Hotel? Share your experiences!