“disappointed birkenhead”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Birkenhead
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“disappointed birkenhead”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We have been going to the riverhill for many years and usually enjoy a pleasant meal. on this occasion it was a celebration for my husbands birthday .There were four of us in the party and as usual the service was excellent both waiting staff and in the bar pleasant and efficient. My disappointment was in the main course two of us had ordered the rump of lamb for which an extra charge of £3 was required. Unfortunately it was so tough I found it hard to chew, the vegetables were bland and tastless My husbands steak was fine. I do expect more from the Riverhill because of its masterchef connections as this is what they advertise.However I cant help but wander where they are sourcing their meat as I have had so much better in other wirral resturants. With a bottle of wine and tip this had cost around £200 although not the most expensive meal ever it was still a lot of money to pay to be disappointed.This will not stop us going to the Riverhill as we enjoy the venue ,however I think they need to up their game menue wise with so much competition in Wirral.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 413maureeng
stephen p, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Guest
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback from your last visit to us, I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the food you were Served that evening, and only wish you had highlighted the issues on the evening as we could have rectified them, if you could please call me direct to discuss in further detail your dining experience .

Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
wirral
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Went for a celebratory dinner.Not as hotel residents.Good service,nice welcoming people. Comfortable place, I would call it Traditional British Country House style.Cut above your usual Birkenhead standard.Set table d'hote menu had a fair choice but I think I chose badly (my own fault). Game terrine had a few small bones in it- ugh! Yes in terrine which I thought would have been through a processor. Not only that but it was bland and unimpressive and I chose game for some flavours.Think I might have preferred the chicken liver parfait and if I return that is what I will have.Lots of flavour in chicken livers.

Scottish Bream was ordinary but then bream is an ordinary fish even when it doesn't come from Scotland.I should have ordered salmon.Lots of fresh hot veggies to accompany.

Because we were in a large party not easy for the waiting staff to get around to those sitting along the back wall.Desserts and coffee were fine.A couple of solo diners (presumably hotel residents).

Maybe the fame of the chef would be evident in the a la carte menu. The table d'hote did not shine.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank WirralScouse
Gloucester UK
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in mid October and family joined us for dinner, making a table of six.
This is an efficiently run hotel providing good attentive service. Dinner was excellent and reasonably priced.
When we gathered in the bar prior to dinner on Saturday we could see that the dining room had been set out to accommodate two very large parties. Any worry that this might prove a challenge to service in the restaurant was quickly dispelled as the organisation and service was very slick. Thank-you and well done. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
stevedpj, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for review, we appreciate your kind comments. We are very glad you enjoyed your overall experience here at the Riverhill. We look forward to having you back to dine or stay with us in the future. Next time you do visit, please let me know in advance so we can share a glass of wine.

Steve & the team.
Greasby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My In-laws booked here for their Golden Wedding party this Saturday (5th October) the meal and atmosphere was superb!! The staff were very polite and professional adding to the overall enjoyment of the night. Highly recommended and will visit again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank wifesachef
stephen p, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guest
we at the Riverhill would like to thank you for your custom and lovely comments we so please to here you all had a fab time , we would also like to say what a wonderful professional job you did in making her cake it was 10/10 on a bake of show big well done to you, i will place my order very soon
Kind Regards
Steve and the team at the riverhill
St. Helens, England
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

I have read all of the reviews and quite frankly wonder if I was staying and eating in a different place! I booked this as an extra treat for my husbands birthday and yes it was because of MasterChef the Professionals. Well I have to say I am so glad I did, we had the taster menu, each course was better than the previous and we really couldn't say which was our favourite because they were so good. The staff were all fantastic and considering there were 2 large parties in at the same time we certainly felt we got the personal touch. Thank you all, first time but certainly not the last .

• Stayed September 2013
stephen p, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
hi Newbies
our team have all had a great time reading your lovely review , we were so please to here you had a great visit and enjoyed the food and service , I hope you remembered my tip on the beetroot I gave you ,
we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel , when you next book please give me a call so we can catch up and share a glass of rioja together
regards
Steve and team
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Only stayed the one evening & albeit that there was no lift, we were asked if we required help with our luggage. Our room was really spacious and absolutely spotless; little extras asin biscuits, kit kat, fruit and crisps a really nice touch. Room had iron and ironing board and the benefit of a safe. Our room also had air conditioning which was most appreciated. Toiletries in the bathroom, which again was spotless. Service in the bar at the evening time and at breakfast the next morning was second to none; and the food was very nicely presented and delicious. Quite surprised that this hotel is only rated a 3 star; and we thought it deserved to be 4 star. Would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend this lovely hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CBWTA
Dear guest
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feed back and overall comments , a lot of the time you guest do not feed back the good or bad experience they have had or explain were we are getting the things like service or food quality just right and the whole over all experience, and my team in all departments are ensure our guest enjoy the best of times be it at check in or breakfast service
so once again a big thank from the Riverhill hotel team and we are looking forward to being of service to you very soon
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 11 September 2013

It was my absolute pleasure to hold my wedding at the Riverhill in May 2013.

During the weeks leading up to the wedding, I could not begin to praise enough the support, advice and attention from manager Steve and the team at the hotel.

The wedding itself was a spectacle. On one particularly lucky day, the hotel looked a complete treasure, drenched in the sunlight. The garden was perfect for the photos! The back garden was comfortable for smokers with tables and chairs set up in the sun. And the disco at the end was brilliantly set up!

My bride was very pleased with her treatment throughout. She had stayed the night before the wedding and felt treated like a princess by all. The bridal suite was very accommodating, and she had more than enough room the next morning for her mum and bridesmaids to help her get ready comfortably.

The food definitely lives up to its name. The hotel is very proud of having a Masterchef winner gracing their kitchen, and so they should be! There were very high expectations for the food, and they definitely paid off! The waiting staff were the ultimate display of professionalism, attentive and beyond courteous at all times.

Attention to detail was the key here in terms of my good impression. The knowledge of the bar staff, the small favours in the rooms, the accessibility and accommodation of extra requirements. This is a hotel team that is there for you on a personal level, in a considerate and thorough way.

After the wedding I returned two months later for a family meal. The food was fantastic and again exceeding expectations. The staff even acknowledged having us back by generously offering us two bottles of champagne!! A lovely gesture, after such a fantastic wedding day we experienced with them.

As a flight attendant I stay in 5 star hotels all over the world. And whilst the Riverhill lacks a swimming pool, gym, or such similar things, I can honestly say the service and hard work of this brilliant team is more personal, and genuinely caring than any hotel I have stayed.

An excellent, personalized experience, which I will definitely stay again!

Well done, and thankyou team!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stefhatta
stephen p, General Manager at Riverhill Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Hi guys
great to here from you both hope are keeping well and will share the sun with us back in the uk I have passed on your compliments to the whole team at the Riverhill and the feed back form Richard and Mia and myself is lets all do it again every year
Regards
Steve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Port Sunlight
Crowne Plaza  Liverpool City Centre

Been to Riverhill Hotel? Share your experiences!