“It was actually very good, for £60.”
Review of Sleep Station

Sleep Station
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Birkenhead
London, United Kingdom
“It was actually very good, for £60.”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I needed a hotel for one night that was close to Birkenhead Hamilton Station and to Woodside Birkenhead Ferry Terminal. Sleep Station ticked both those boxes. Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor I was a little bit discouraged but as I was only staying in Birkenhead for 12hrs I decided that I could put up with a potentially bad experience for that short amount of time. The location was convenient and at £60 I wasn't complaining; nonetheless I was expecting the worst.

The hotel emailed me a few days before arrival to ask what time I would be checking in. When I explained that my train would be arriving at 7:36pm on the Saturday evening they responded to say that check-in closes at 6pm. I tried to cancel the reservation via the website I booked on but was told that I would be charged the full price. I emailed Sleep Station back and they kindly agreed to authorise a free cancellation even though my reservation was, at that point, due to commence inside 24hrs. However, I then asked them if my brother, who was arriving earlier (but staying in a different hotel) could check in on my behalf, which they also agreed to.

It's probably fair to say that some communal parts of the hotel (entrance, staircase, ceilings) could do with a little sprucing but it's certainly not unpleasant. It was actually fine and, in fact, better than some of these horrible Hilton hotels with their dated carpets and floral print curtains. The room itself was a good size, bed was comfy, TV worked and had freeview but I didn't really watch it. The room was nicely decorated, it was relatively modern and you could see that someone had put thought into the furniture, lamps, and other deco in the room. The bathroom was down my own little private corridor and was clean and modern. The room was warm and the large widows opened if I wanted.

The bistro at the hotel wasn't open for my entire stay (8pm Saturday - 8am Sunday) nor were any staff on site for the duration. This didn't matter. I had everything I needed.

For £60, I thought this was really good value. Don't go here expecting that you're treating yourself to a night in Liverpool - for that, you'll need to be in a completely different league of hotel at multiple times the price, across the Mersey. However, if you need a bed and shower in Birkenhead, in a clean, fairly spacious and modern room, at an extremely competitive rate, you will struggle to find a better option than Sleep Station. Anyone who has complained about the hotel in previous posts are basically kidding themselves in terms of their expectations at this price.

Room Tip: I was in room 5 which was more like a very little apartment. Recommended.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Paris, France
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed one Saturday night when visiting Liverpool.
The location (5 minutes from Liverpool center with the metro) is great and te area is nice. The hotel could be great but it needs to be refreshed (painting, carpets look old and dirty, TV from another century). The modern furniture is nice but as all the rest is very old, the rooms don't look clean. Besides our window was broken and cold air was entering in the room even when the heating was at its maximum the room stayed cold.
The service is non existing. We had to phone a number to check-in and the guy disappeared afterwards so even if we wanted another room due to the window issue there was nobody to complain to.

L'hotel a besoin d'un sérieux rafraîchissement. Il pourrait être super bien (placement, meublés modernes, quartier) mais la peinture les sols sont vieux et ne font pas nickel. Le servie est inexistant et nous avions un problème a notre fenêtre (courant d air glacial) et personne a qui se plaindre.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank NathB_314

Travellers are raving about these Birkenhead hotels

manchester
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

Sleep Station has an impressive facade. Gorgeous Georgian splendour just off the highly impressive Hamilton Sq with its beautiful town hall complete with huge pillars and a statue of Queen Victorias wedding cake.
Indeed the idea behind Sleep Station is a good one....renovated into ensuite rooms attempting a modern feel but in keeping with the period. There was the original cast iron fireplace and lovely sash windows but they were chipped and in need of a lick of paint. No complaint about the bed which afforded a good nights sleep. The red carpet was undoubtably good quality but faded and jaded looking. There was an old style tv with no batteries in the remote so we were unable to watch it. Tea and coffee making facilities were very basic and we had only 1teabag. The bathroom needed regrouting and had stains from a leak in the ceiling. Although very thick and kept the light out the curtains needed replacing and had seen much better days.
As I said...originally a good idea but needs an overhaul. We stayed on a Saturday night. There is no breakfast on a Sunday. Food is not incl the other 6 days .You can eat in their cafe on the ground floor but have to care extra. The room was £60. It was not value for money or special in any way apart from its location. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed at the hotel a few weeks ago on a business trip. Pictures looked great. Location also great. Gravely dissapointed! Horror and disgust!! We arrived to find after climbing two flights of stairs which were dirty with old tissue on the stairs, that the room had not been cleaned. There was no flooring where the firegrate was and there was a 'toe' nail in it with cig butts and was still there after the room was cleaned and I mentioned it to the booking in person. Tiles were sticking up in the bathroom, no where for towels to hang, only one light, top surfaces not cleaned, cracks in plaster, moss on window sills, stains on carpet and window frames rotten. I have taken pictures. NO RATING TO GIVE BUT WILL! My skin crawled.. Location was spot on for our business but did not feel safe at all..even as a couple.

Room Tip: Don't go.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank jon s
Belfast
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I looked into staying in this hotel after seeing that Liverpool city centre hotel prices had skyrocketed. However when we got there it seemed to be more of a hostel than a hotel as there is no reception as such - you need to check in at the cafe called "station" downstairs - the girl was lovely. However my Mum (who I was travelling with) had to endure climbing 4 floors as there is no lift and carrying our luggage up was a total nightmare - this also did not work in my favour after having a few drinks! The room was ok...for a hostel. The furniture is indeed "antique" - the handles were falling off! The modern furniture includes a wardrobe - an ikea tent on wheels basically (see pic). The bed was ok however the curtains did not close so I didn't get a great nights sleep. I'm not one to complain about hostel type accommodation - however I felt we were not charged hostel prices. The stairs and room in general were a bit grotty/dirty and my mum did not feel particularly safe in the area. However I did find the location really handy as the hotel is about a 30 second walk from Hamilton Square train station (on the Wirral line from Liverpool) and trains run to approx midnight - with a journey time of approx 5 minutes. The mersey ferry is also a 5 minute walk away from the hotel which takes you straight to the Liver building in the city. A taxi back from the city at night is approx £17 as you have to pay the tunnel fare under the river. For those travelling to Belfast/Dublin on the Stenaline ferry the terminal is approx 25 min walk away. Upon checkout you post your keys through the letterbox (as there is no reception).

On a more petty note - there is one hairdryer to be shared throughout the whole building and although this wasn't a problem for us, I would imagine it could be in demand in the mornings if lots of ladies stayed (if you want to brave travelling up and down four floors). Also there is no full length mirror and a lack of sockets for phone charger/hairdryer etc. The tv was a bit outdated too - retro! The sink is also tiny (with a HUGE tap) so brushing teeth was a bit of an ordeal.

I guess it would be an ok place for a stag party - but if you want a weekend in Liverpool it might be best just to pay a bit extra and stay in a city centre hotel - you will save money in the long run as you won't have to spend on transport! I wouldn't call it female friendly either.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put on the 4th floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank rachiffer
wirral
Reviewed 14 August 2011

my partner and stayed her for 2 nights ad booked it last minute.
Its a great little guest house in a great locatio with the train station right next door. Liverpool less than 10 minutes away.

Our room was a perfect size and comfortable.
The bathroom was nice altho it did have a loose floor tile.
My only complaint about the room was that it did not have a full length mirror.
The plug socket was quite away from the nearest mirror an was a bit of a nightmare trying to my hair.

There is free parking to, this was a bonus considering the location.

All in all we had a great stay at the Sleep Station and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clairejen5
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I wanted to stay in Central Liverpool but all of the rooms in my price were full finding sleep station was a stroke of luck its closer to Liverpool City than some places in Liverpool itself and set in a beautiful Georgian square and atmospheric chimes of the town hall clock were very soothing Hamilton square is the largest group of grade1 listed buildings in the UK the hotel is Georgian but the rooms are big and modern I stayed in the split level double with a fantastic panoramic views over the Beautiful meresy to Liverpool a real bonus .the location is only a 30 second walk to the underground station which mean you are in Liverpool City centre in 5 mins or for a more dramatic entry to the City you can take the ferry over from Woodside ferry terminus which is only a 2 minute walk away also the location is ideal for the wirral beaches the room rates are very good 25% cheaper than the Liverpool equivalent a great little find...

• Stayed August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
Riverhill Hotel
#1 of 1 in Thornton Hough
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,144 reviews
Central Liverpool
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic

Been to Sleep Station? Share your experiences!