“Lovely room, terrible service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleep Station

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Birkenhead
Sleep Station
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Birkenhead
Preston, United Kingdom
“Lovely room, terrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here last night, and I have to say I was disappointed. I was initially impressed to receive a call from Gareth asking what time I would be arriving. I stated my half hour arrival window, and I arrived exactly in the middle of this time, which was during the preferred check-in time (which is fairly usual for a hotel, but it worked for us). However, there was nobody at the property despite having told them what time I would be arriving. It took 10 minutes to get hold of Gareth on the phone (I had both a landline number and his mobile - neither were answered), and then was sat outside for another 20 minutes before he finally arrived to let me in.

After climbing 3 flights of stairs (good for the thighs!) I was shown to my room. The room was fine, with a mezzanine up a flight of stairs with an amazing view over the river, comfy bed with good quality sheets. It all seemed very clean.

However I discovered that the toilet was blocked, so I notified Gareth. He came up while I was out, failed to unblock the toilet, and left the bathroom floor a shocking mess, which he neglected to clean up. Simply not good enough, and incredibly disappointing for £60 a night!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor if you struggle with stairs!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank musicteach84

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I wasn't looking forward to our stay here after reading some reviews but it was ok. I wasn't prepared to pay the stupid prices in Liverpool hotels, we only wanted a room for the night after attending a wedding. The location is good, right by the train station for a short cheap ride into Liverpool. When we arrived the front door was locked but there was a sign in the window with a telephone number to ring. A very welcoming lady, Donna I think it was answered and then came from upstairs I think to let us in and show us to our room. This isn't a "normal" hotel, there is no reception, . you are given the keys and left to your own devices, which suited us fine, but we were given several telephone numbers to ring in case of any problems. The room itself was fine, it had seen better days but seemed clean enough. The antiquated television didn't seem to be tuned in properly and buzzed when it was on but as we were only there for the one night this wasn't a problem. The bathroom was good enough and the bed was very comfy. In the morning we did notice a stain on the sheet that looked like a coffee stain but it didn't seem that the sheets were dirty just that the stain hadn't come out in the wash. I would use the Sleep station again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pomy63
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Went to this hotel with an old friend, Got one set of keys between us! My friend left me in the hotel due to unforseen circumstances and I could not get out as the hallway an main door was locked after 6pm!!!. No phone numbers so I looked it up on google..no memebers of staff in the building after 6pm....way of getting out of the hotel so I had to use a fire door!!! The owner turned up all of a sudden.who was foreign and rang the police on me like I was some sort sort of troublemaker!!! treated me like dirt! I have never been to such a rubbish badly run hotel in all my life!!!!!! my advice is to stay as far as possible from this hotel!! from this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never again!

Room Tip: we had the best room available... it wasn't nothing special... the only decent thing about the p...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Zara A
Sue C, Manager at Sleep Station, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your review, I am very sorry that your stay was not as you expected.

The hotel now has a new management team in place, and whilst we do not have staff or a manager on site, we do now provide contact information on check in; the property is run as a BB – where guests can enter and leave at their own convenience.

I do have additional keys to all bedrooms now available should this be requested. There are two locks on our main entrance door, there are spare keys by the door to enable guests to get out in an emergency – going through the fire exits sets alarms off directly to the Fire and Police for the guests safety.

I am very sorry your stay was a disappointment.

Travellers are raving about these Birkenhead hotels

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

after reading the reviews had incredibly low expectations, but all other hotels were either booked or incredibly expensive in Liverpool so we booked. Were called the night before by Stefan who asked what time we'd arrive at. We had to call him the next day as we arrived earlier than expected but had no bother getting through to him and he let us in.

It is not like a hotel in that he gave us a set of keys and told us to let ourselves in and out but had his number in case we needed it.

Room was nice, big and clean. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom was lovely with a bath tub and powerful hot shower.

The place could use a touch up, it's no 5 star Hilton, but for £60 a night you realistically shouldn't expect that. Struggled with WiFi connection and TV was temperamental with about 7 channels, but we weren't there to watch TV.

If you are going to be staying in your room for work or on long stays I'd say stay somewhere else, but if your going for a couple of nights, to the Football or just needing a base at a good price i would def recommend Sleep Station.

Great price and decent accommodation.

Cheers Stefan

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yourherodamon
Sue C, Manager at Sleep Station, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your feed back, we are now in the process of repainting the property and also how to get the WIFI through the old Building, its available on the ground floor but struggles to get to the third floor!!

Manager
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I had a booking with this hotel for the 22nd to 24th October & had to check in by 6pm (which in itself is very early), but due to car problems i called the hotel in the morning and told them i wouldnt be able to check in til "about 7pm" (as we had to wait for the hire car to be ready), i explained the situation & fact we were travelling from Scotland.and the young man, was swift in saying ok and then putting the phone down,like he was too busy to talk!!
Due to bad weather and traffic, we were slightly delayed and because i couldn't get a signal on my mobile at first it was Liverpool before i finally was able to call them, at approx 7.10-7.15pm to say where we were and that we'd be about 10 minutes BUT no one was there, the phone kept ringing and ringing!!I was furious!!They didn't even bother waiting 10-15 mins after the time id said and at that id said "about 7pm"!!!I then had a mad rush to try and book an alternative hotel at short notice,which also cost me more and added to the stress!! They THEN had the cheek to charge me almost £50 for the privilege of them not bothering their backsides to wait a short time after the time id given!!I was travelling down for my Grandads funeral and just wanted a stress free trip HAHAHA...i would def NOT recommend this hotel to those who are under enough stress...absolutely disgusted with the customer services, obviously no communication at all and again the cheek of charging me for a room that essentially was their fault never got checked into!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scotschik
Sue C, Manager at Sleep Station, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your email, I am so sorry that this happened to you.

Our property now has a new Management team in place. This will not happen in the future.

Whilst we do not have staff or a manager on site, we arrange checkin by appointment and we would wait for you to arrive.

I am very sorry
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I travelled back to the Wirral recently to see my sister and new nephew, unfortunately the room we were allocated was so dusty and appeared to not have been cleaned for some time (mould in the bathroom, a false eyelash on the chest of drawers and bits of *hopefully* human fingernails in the carpet) that I actually couldn't stay and had to find alternative accommodation. I couldn't let the manager know we had sought alternative accommodation as they had closed and are not on site outside of the opening hours for the attached bistro/restaurant. I've contacted since to request a refund but aside from a very polite response back have heard nothing further. I booked the sleep station because I had stayed there a number of years ago and it was fantastic then, alas it appears to have been neglected since...

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nicola_walker1
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I needed a hotel for one night that was close to Birkenhead Hamilton Station and to Woodside Birkenhead Ferry Terminal. Sleep Station ticked both those boxes. Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor I was a little bit discouraged but as I was only staying in Birkenhead for 12hrs I decided that I could put up with a potentially bad experience for that short amount of time. The location was convenient and at £60 I wasn't complaining; nonetheless I was expecting the worst.

The hotel emailed me a few days before arrival to ask what time I would be checking in. When I explained that my train would be arriving at 7:36pm on the Saturday evening they responded to say that check-in closes at 6pm. I tried to cancel the reservation via the website I booked on but was told that I would be charged the full price. I emailed Sleep Station back and they kindly agreed to authorise a free cancellation even though my reservation was, at that point, due to commence inside 24hrs. However, I then asked them if my brother, who was arriving earlier (but staying in a different hotel) could check in on my behalf, which they also agreed to.

It's probably fair to say that some communal parts of the hotel (entrance, staircase, ceilings) could do with a little sprucing but it's certainly not unpleasant. It was actually fine and, in fact, better than some of these horrible Hilton hotels with their dated carpets and floral print curtains. The room itself was a good size, bed was comfy, TV worked and had freeview but I didn't really watch it. The room was nicely decorated, it was relatively modern and you could see that someone had put thought into the furniture, lamps, and other deco in the room. The bathroom was down my own little private corridor and was clean and modern. The room was warm and the large widows opened if I wanted.

The bistro at the hotel wasn't open for my entire stay (8pm Saturday - 8am Sunday) nor were any staff on site for the duration. This didn't matter. I had everything I needed.

For £60, I thought this was really good value. Don't go here expecting that you're treating yourself to a night in Liverpool - for that, you'll need to be in a completely different league of hotel at multiple times the price, across the Mersey. However, if you need a bed and shower in Birkenhead, in a clean, fairly spacious and modern room, at an extremely competitive rate, you will struggle to find a better option than Sleep Station. Anyone who has complained about the hotel in previous posts are basically kidding themselves in terms of their expectations at this price.

Room Tip: I was in room 5 which was more like a very little apartment. Recommended.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birkenhead
Riverhill Hotel
#2 of 3 in Birkenhead
Leasowe Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Leasowe
Central Liverpool
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Port Sunlight

Been to Sleep Station? Share your experiences!