“Good food, poor service from staff”
Review of Sun Ying

Sun Ying
Ranked #119 of 267 Restaurants in Birkenhead
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Visited this place on the 28th September for a meal for 2. Nice range of food to choose from and very tasty.

Only problem with this place for us was the service from the staff which was, in our opinion, bordering on rude. Had to pay when we went out for a cigarette which was not a problem but the accusatory bark that we could not go out together left a lot to be desired. Also, the second time we went out the same chinese lady attempted to stop us going out thinking we were going to do a runner over the £1.60 coke we had ordered since last paying, another member of staff muttered something and she left us alone.

Really enjoyed the food but the coke was cheap tasting fizzy water.

One other minor gripe was the temperature, it was a little hot and stuffy.

All in all, really enjoyed the food, good value but the attitude of the staff was poor.

1  Thank KarenPa426

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I had a great time celebrating my Party at Sun Ying in the evening. We had a good array of dishes at the buffet. The food was refilled frequently to maintain the freshness. And the friendly staffs pay attention to my guest needs which I am really glad about it. Thank you & compliment to the chef. I will be back soon.

1  Thank Lookerin
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The food was dry and tasteless, and wasn't refilled while I was there once, the staff couldn't understand me with something as simple as orange juice, an then I was short changed by £5 and called a liar, wouldn't go back there if you paid me!!!

2  Thank Doggers88
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I regularly visit this chinese restaurant. They have a very good range of choices and the restaurant is very clean. Quite a large restaurant so rarely full and has nice decorations. Discounted menu (short of some items such as prawns) available before 4pm. Would be nice if they continued until 5pm as most do. Evening menu is larger but then can become expensive for a buffet style restaurant. I have never had a problem in more than 50 visits and would not be returning with my family if I did have problems. Typical Chinese attitude to customers that some may take offense to but is actually a cultural difference. My only complaint is that their debit/credit card machine "mysteriously" often fails to work. This forces you to pay cash and they direct you to the bank ATM next door to draw cash. The machine does use the phone line and one of the staff suddenly uses the phone when you are about to pay. Upon pointing this out, the guy on the phone suddenly can't understand English It occurs so often that I wonder if this is just a means to save credit card fees. Very unprofessional! Otherwise, the restaurant is OK - just remember to take cash with you or draw cash next door before you go in. A good point is a semi private area with a long banquet style table for celebrations.

2  Thank Malgoode
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Myself and a family member travelled to Sun Ying to celebrate her birthday and we asked for her favourite barbecue sauce that she always gets to eat with her food and we got refused for the first time ever. We have been regulars for over 7 years and this has been the second time we have had trouble at this disgusting restaurant. In addition, we found out that the tips jar goes to the boss of Sun Ying and not to any of the waiters which is an absolute joke. Furthermore, the restaurant deserves to get shut down because of the bosses illegal behaviour and the food was luke-warm thus the rice was raw and the chicken was also 'pink' and raw in the middle. I give all the waiters' credit and complements for their fabulous service but the boss needs to get dismissed at once. Finally, we ordered drinks that had disgraceful prices on them £3 for a J2O and £4 for a vodka and lemonade - Absolutely Extortionate!

I will NOT be returning to this restaurant because of the boss and the food and the boss had the cheek to offer a free lunch after what had happened.

Tip: DO NOT APPLY FOR ANY JOBS OR EMPLOYMENT BECAUSE SHE IS AN ILLEGAL BOSS AND WILL ONLY PAY YOU £40 PER 12 HOURS THERE AND TAKE ALL THE TIPS FOR HERSELF.

7  Thank JayTaylor2013