“Very disappointing.”

Star of India
Ranked #10 of 37 Restaurants in Portadown
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Romantic, Cheap Eats, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Market Hill, null, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappointing.”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My family and I have just returned from a disappointing over priced meal at this restaurant. We went out to celebrate my son's 15th birthday and we were really looking forward to a great evening. When I had booked our table I had stated 2 family members would be ordering steak but when we went to order we were told there were no steaks left. Chicken (nuggets) and chips were served as an alternative for my son in law and daughter in law. My daughter and I had a vegetarian meal and my 2 son's and a friend had chicken dishes. After we had finished our main course I asked if I could order deserts for my teenage son and his friend but I was quickly told there were no deserts left and it was only 7.30 pm. No real apology was made regarding this even though I said we were disappointed as we were celebrating my son's birthday. When we got the bill we could not believe how much we,d been charged and asked for it to be itemized as we thought we,d been overcharged. At this point my daughter politely informed the staff member the evening had been disappointing and that we would not be back. A small discount was deducted from the bill before we left.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Carole H

“Recommend but pricy!”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Best option is to go on a Thursday night when they have a main course meal plus extra's on for a set price, still remains a full portion

Any other night however two people eating 2 main each, a naan and two drinks can be easily over £30 but for that you get great quality of food

Staff are brilliant, really good service, highly recommend

• Visited August 2013
Armagh, United Kingdom
“Quality Indian food in Portadown”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We ate at the Star of India today and were VERY impressed. My husband loves Indian food so can be hard to please but the Star really hit the spot. The food was fresh, served promptly and tasted delicious. After popadoms and starters, I had the lamb bhuna which was tenderly cooked and very tasty as was my husbands chicken jalfrazi. Our waiter was very polite and helpful and served our meals at good intervals, not rushing us or hovering over us. My compliments to the chef, we will definatly be back and would highly recommend The Star of India.

• Visited September 2013
Northern Ireland.
“Bright Star”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Excellent indian food. They do your standard dishes and some unusal ones (Zal zal). Great hosts and good service.

Visited September 2012
Dungannon, United Kingdom
“Top quality Indian food”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Excellent food with a great choice of classic and specialist dishes. The lamb is especially good. Very nice decor and friendly staff. Cold Cobra is always essential at an Indian of course and indeed they have it. Fantastic naan bread too. Faultless Indian food, one of the best in Northern Ireland.

• Visited October 2012