“Meal only”
Review of Seagoe Hotel

Seagoe Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portadown
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Went here courtesy of a gift voucher I had.
Fair service from a youngish group of staff and we sat adjacent to the bar area.
Food portions were reasonable, tasty and price average for a hotel.
Seemed to lack atmosphere though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was my second visit to this hotel. My first trip wasn't particularly bad, nor especially great - just a few niggly points - probably would have awarded three stars on here.....however I didn't get round to raising these points at the time and therefore didn't want to write a review on that occasion.

As this second trip was for work, and due to the location of the Seagoe I decided to give it another go. I'm a little sad to say that those areas of disappointment from my first trip still remain.

Staff were always pleasant and friendly. Check in was fast. Rooms are spacious, and on first glance appear perfectly comfortable.

However, on closer inspection the furnishings appear tired, and it seems cleanliness could be very much improved. I found dust collecting in some areas, and on both of my visits there was no mattress protector on the somewhat grotty-looking mattress. The bath wasn't as clean as I would like, but not bad enough to complain to reception about. The shower head was very scaled up (I soon found that as a result the water sprayed around the shower screen onto the floor).

I found several hairs on the towels, and so asked for these to be changed. My request was dealt with promptly, and an apology provided but to be honest the second set of towels weren't much better.

On the first evening, I had borrowed an ironing board from reception, with a view to ironing my shirt in the morning prior to work. This arrived promptly, however approximately an hour later, at 9:50pm I received a call to see if I was finished with it. I was actually asleep when this call came through, and after a 4:30am start that morning I wasn't best pleased to have been disturbed.

The following morning, my shower didn't seem to have any hot water despite trying all variations of the taps. I reported this to reception when heading out for the day and it had been rectified by the time I returned that evening.

I ate in the bar on three occasions (on both trips), due to lack of other restaurants in the local area. The food was reasonably priced, large portions and fairly tasty - although could be improved in places - my fish and asparagus dish on night two appeared like it had sat in a warmer for a period of time. The service was always with a smile, incredibly friendly, but unfortunately incredibly slow in places. Food arrived promptly but on every occasion I had waited so long for the waiting staff to return for my payment that I decided to approach the bar to pay instead. I have no issue with paying at the bar in any restaurant, but not when table service is supposedly being provided and I had been kept waiting after my meal whilst staff chatted, only for the barman to then comment on how quiet they were that evening.

Breakfast was ok - choice of around four cereals, pastries, meat etc or cooked to order; although I noticed flies around the buffet most mornings and the milk for cereal was generally not cold.

In short - I think this hotel could be spruced up and more attention paid to detail. I don't expect the Ritz; but I really do feel that some of the basics are lacking, and have stayed in Premier Inns with cleaner / fresher rooms. Locals seem to love this place, but I suspect they haven't stayed overnight. I deliberated over awarding an average rating on here, but the cleanliness / hygiene issues are the main pulls towards my decision to rate this as poor.

I have stayed in worse, but certainly won't rush back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2014

After passing this hotel weekly and never actually staying in it to recently I wondered how I had missed out on what was to offer.

We stayed here for a family wedding and had food on both days, the service of the staff was very helpful from the security to the kitchen staff who came out and also the bar staff.

The rooms are nice simple but the bed is comfortable. As for the breakfasts they are fry with all the trimmings and the meals In the restraunt are very tasty also. Presentation seems to be a key thing in this hotel.

Would recommend going here either for a stay over or even just a meal. They appear to also always have something on going by the signs they have out.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Seagoe Hotel Portadown. We attended a friends wedding at the Seagoe Hotel on 3rd May 2014, we arrived at 3pm and where guided to a room were guests could have tea/coffee or drinks, we sat on a chair next to the room where wedding reception was going to be held. We set our wedding present card/envelope with a considerable amount of cash in it beside us waiting to give it to the Bride & Groom, it stayed with us until 6.00pm at which point we where asked to enter the wedding reception room. As we were sitting at the back of the room we left it to the last minute to enter the room. When we entered the room there was only the Bride & Groom and about 6 members of the hotel staff left in the room, all other guests had left, about 8 minutes after we entered the room and just after the Bride & Groom where called into the room we realised we had left our wedding gift on the chair just outside the room, I immediately return to get our gift but it was gone! Within just 8 minutes it was gone!! There is no doubt in my mind that a member of the hotel staff took this gift! I asked the duty manager right away about this gift going missing, to which he said he would look into it, I also contacted the hotel manager the next day (Sunday). I again called into the Seagoe Hotel to see the hotel manager on the Tuesday about this. Since then I have made about 6 calls to the hotel regarding this theft! I don't know what is worse now? The person who took this gift or the lack of managements customer service in sorting this matter out? Never once have they called me back. I had to call into the hotel again on the 27th May just over 3 weeks after the wedding and their answer to it all is?? Unfortunately there is nothing we can do!!! This hotel needs to learn about costumer service. I wasn't looking for a return of our wedding gift by the hotel but at my request at least they could have offered the Bride & Groom a complimentary meal for two at the hotel by way of an apology for what happened at their hotel, which would have shown good customer service? To this they said they would call me back, guess what "I'm still waiting on this call too" If you are going to this hotel for a wedding reception or as a guest on a night out? Remember they have employed a thief! Make sure you watch your personal items. I will never attend anything else in this hotel again!!!!! On a plus side other than our wedding present being stolen, the wedding was brilliant and the food was very good, its a real pity that a member of the staff and the lack of service by the hotel management has caused this review.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank seirceil
Reviewed 9 June 2014

nice hotel in a quiet area of portadown ,, food is good there ,,,, rooms clean ,,,,, modern hotel , friendly bar staff and a very helpful night security man on the front desk telling us where and what to do with our time in portadown , we were part of a large group cycling around Ireland 1400km ,,aprox 1000 cyclists each day pedalling from town to town supporting cycle against suicide 2014 ,,, good fun by all ...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hysterxl
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

On the way home from work my colleague and I called in for diner. I had mixed grill. Meats were cooked to perfection. We had tried two different sauces Diane and peppered . They were so delicious . Creamy garlic potatoes and chips to accompany. So tasty. Dessert home made bread and butter pudding with custard. To die for. Can't wait to return. Excellent!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank brandyandginger1
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have dined here recently. Food was excellent and very helpful pleasant staff. Speedy service but not rushed. The chicken with Diane sauce is especially good. Prices are reasonable and quantities are good with the exception of the Dauphinoise potatoes ( could be a larger portion ).
Overall a very enjoyable experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portadown
Belmont Hotel
#3 of 3 in Banbridge
Armagh City Hotel
#1 of 2 in Armagh
Golden Mile
The Fitzwilliam Hotel Belfast
Charlemont House
#2 of 6 in Dungannon

Been to Seagoe Hotel? Share your experiences!