“Glad I wasn't paying”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Alcester
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Glad I wasn't paying”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

If I had been paying for the room and not the company I would have kicked up a fuss.
Reception/restaurant and bar staff were pretty friendly, the food was ok and the prices typical of a hotel with a captive audience.
The room I had was not brilliant, it had a musky sort of a smell to it, so I opened the windows, Big mistake, not only did I let in dozens of flies to add to the already dead ones on the window bottom, but there was a leaking over flow pipe from upstairs pouring onto the flat roof just outside the room window. So needless to say sleep was a bit difficult with the windows open, not good when it was so warm in the room.
Other than clean bedding and towels I'm not sure the room was cleaned properly, when I ventured into the bathroom (which was carpeted no less, I mean carpet in a bathroom, come on) the shower curtain had 4/5 broken hooks and there was a used shampoo bottle left on top of the shower unit.
When one of my colleagues asked why there were so many flies the member of staff replied "we are in the middle of the country side". I understand that stuff gets spread on farmers fields but not in the hotel.

Room Tip: steer clear of any room above the bar.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank sambukaSam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay on a Groupon deal which included a three course meal on the first night. On the positive side the premier room we stayed in was very nice, clean and well equipped. There was a wedding party on at the hotel but the noise was minimal. Breakfast was very good, the three course meal however, was not. The meal itself was from a restricted menu with very little choice. The starter and sweet were reasonable but the main course was appalling. It takes a great deal of effort to create a plate of food that bad and totally spoilt the evening. Throughout are stay the staff were poor. At no time from booking in, service in the bar and restaurant, and to booking out did any body enquire if we had enjoyed our stay, or our meal, or if everything was satisfactory. In fact we were basically ignored.
Its a shame really because with a little effort our stay could have been so much better and we would have been happy to recommend to others and use the hotel again. We will not be doing.

Room Tip: The premier rooms are good, quiet and well away from the main building
Coleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed for 1 night with a friend as we were attending a lace design day in Aston Cantlow. Lovely hotel, friendly staff and comfortable bar/restaurant. We didn't have any problems with flies or loud music even though there was a wedding on and had windows open as it was hot. We stay several times a year and just keep going back so happy to recommend it. See you again in September!

Room Tip: We like rooms in the new block
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
London uk
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights July 18th -21st . As we were attending a wedding at Ragley Hall on the 19th . 1st the good things : The staff are wonderful , very polite and welcoming. Our room 43 was on the 1st floor of the new Block and it was very nice , exactly the same as the picture. Bathroom was was great , clean and bright , loads of hot water no matter what time if day , fresh towels daily , hot beverage station , topped off . Use of ironing board and iron with no quibble left in the room. The wifi connection though was archaic my iPad & iPhone refused to let me connect , save for 30secs when I was standing in reception . However now let me tell you about the negatives . The FLIES ..... Luckily about 2 secs before we left home . I looked at TA and saw a new review about the flies .... Well it's a heatwave in. The uk right now as it's summer . I grabbed the Raid fly killer & despite hubby looking at me as if I'm mad put it in my handbag .. Thank heaven . Alas there is no air con OR fans in the room and they are sweltering . We went out. In the evening left window open .OMG swarms in the room . It took 6 blasts but counted 37 "bodies" which were taken away by house keeping in the morning without a word ......... The flies are everywhere outside which day & night ... The hotel has a dove cote and nesting swifts I think that's the problem . It's a great shame as it's impossible to have an open window . So they should either instal air conditioning in the rooms ( it is 2014 people & and a least provide a cheap fan in the 29c heat) & or get rid of the disgusting flie problem.
The breakfast is good , but be warned the restraint fare & the twisted boot fare is plentiful but strangely flavourless? Weird it's not bad but very very bland. Also the young bar staff / wine waiters as sweet as they are don't seem to realize White wine must be kept in the fridge .. To chuck it in a nice bucket with ice cubes won't work .. Keep it in the fridge .. Get ice bucket, put in ice cubes , then fill with cold water .. Then add chilled white wine .... Our wine was so warm , we had to add ice .. Which is dreadful !
Yes it was a great little break and if the flies weren't there and the food had some flavour I would mark it higher . Despite the positive aspects which were excellent, We won't return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amp1
Cotswolds
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a 2 night stay in the hotel with a 3 course meal on the first night included in the price. In the pictures the hotel looks like a country house, old and quaint, but the accommodation is in a purpose built block behind this facade and the hotel is on a very busy road. The rooms and bathroom were fine and certainly up to standard. The food was good too. There was a huge problem with flies, they were everywhere, in the corridors, in the rooms in the communal areas and in the restaurant too. It was obviously a wedding reception venue too and the music could be heard very late at night. You might have been able to make it quieter if we could have shut the windows but it was stifling hot and there was no air con either. At breakfast the cold drinks ie - fresh orange etc were very luke warm, they obviously weren't kept in a fridge. I would recommend the hotel for one or two nights at the most.

Room Tip: For noise levels I would say, ask for rooms on the far side of the accommodation block.
2 Thank GCATDA
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Amazed this place won a certificate of excellence.
Stayed here for one night and the place was swarming with flies. A hot evening meant we left a window open and on returning at midnight had to do battle with two dozen of them before going to bed. It was the same story the next morning and we couldn't wait to get out of the room - we certainly weren't going to try the breakfast!
Complained about it shortly after arrival and again at check out but very little interest shown by the staff. We were told "they try to keep on top of the problem" but no sign of any fly screens or traps anywhere - it was pretty disgusting!
Beyond the fly problem, the place felt pretty jaded and not well looked after eg - dirty mirrors and chipped paint on wardrobe in room, outside - lots of bird droppings from the swallows that nest under the eaves.
It's a pity because it's in a nice location but it ruined our stay.

2 Thank M621ARDavid
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Groupon deal which didn't let us down. Lovely 3 course meal from a restricted menu (no fuss to us but for some people we overheard this was a problem... For the value can't complain)
Breakfast was one of the best we've had in a while, good selection and plenty of it!
Premier room was lovely, very spacious and the bed was extremely comfy and huge, staff were pleasant and the beer garden was enjoyable to sit in.
Only negative was that walking to the bedrooms you had to overcome swarms of flies which slightly put you off when entering the building.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcester
The Throckmorton
Best Western Salford Hall Hotel
The Stratford, A QHotel
The Stratford, A QHotel
#5 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Kings Court Hotel? Share your experiences!