“Quiet, expensive, but nice food”
Review of The Cellar

The Cellar
Ranked #27 of 39 Restaurants in Alcester
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

There are some interesting meals on the menu and the food is good quality although it can be a bit mild. It's a bit on the expensive side so maybe that's why it tends to be quiet.

1  Thank Jand R

Reviewed 22 February 2014

I visited this restaurant to buy a takeaway on a Friday night at around 8.30pm.
I am kicking myself now for not listening to my gut instinct as I walked through the door. Shabby and tired decor. Musty smell. Empty seats. There was not a soul there apart from the staff. The large waiter that people have mentioned in other reviews really is a starey Mary. My entire visit spent with him glaring at me...freaky.
Ordered my food and sat down to wait. Busied myself with my phone whilst feeling the eyes burning two holes in me.
Food arrived fairly quickly in an empty Cobra beer box. Classy.
So off home I went with a rumbling tum and no idea of the car crash that was about to hit my plate.
Cigarette paper thin chappatis, individually wrapped and cut into four pieces. Cold rice - only a 4/5 minute drive home. A bombay allo side dish that looked as though it had been sitting in the aluminium tray since last year. So, on to the main. Radioactive glow chicken tikka jalfrezi. I expect a world shortage of food colouring soon. All available supplies bought up by the cellar restaurant in Alcester. The taste was not nice. Horrible bitter acrid taste.
Needless to say after a few mouthfulls I threw everything away.
Their website has glowing reviews from some people. Well I say to you Mike Dean (director of Land Rover) 'Delicate cuisine and superb ambience balanced with fine service' were you on LSD when you wrote that?

This retaurant needs to sort itself out. This is 2014 and there is no place for abysmal quality like this.

Please spare your stomach and avoid this place.

3  Thank 769WayneF769
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We were tempted in by the great reviews on the walls but I have a deep foreboding as we entered the cellar.. there was no one there and I even asked the large waiter if they were open! Was met with a surly and very indifferent attitude and immediatley asked "what do you want to drink". I had to ask, do you have any wine?, Yes he says, what type said I, what do you want said he.. honestly it was painful, I wish we had left but were determined to be bloody minded about it. The smallest bottle of cobra arrived for my partner.. raised eyebrows! Whatever were we in for. Went to the table and were stalked by the waiter for drinks, order a mixed starter and mains. About 20 mins later, the smallest deepfried (iceland?) samosa and something else tiny arrived.. we were starving by this time so ate it in 5 seconds flat. I think I was getting tipsy by the time the main came as I started to find the whole thing hilarious.. The mains eventually came out.. covererd in a strange webbing.. eeeewww.. Not a hint of heat either temperature or spice.. We hastily ate and got the bill.... OMG how expensive.. should have gone to Henley and had a Thai!!! Will not be returning and as just moved into the area felt a little bruised by the experience.

1  Thank Guccikat
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I haven't visited the Cellar for many months. Having visited on numerous occasions before over the last 20 years with friends, family and business colleagues the standard is consistently high, so I am genuinely surprised to read one star reviews.

Meb and his team are always friendly, well organised and deliver fine food to your table without delay or drama, or even trauma! Tonight was no exception.

This evening I had a chicken balti with mushrooms and garlic naan. My friend had a special duck dish with special rice. We both had the mixed starter to share. Drinks were a bottle of Rioja and Cobra beers. The bill was around £60 which for some is expensive, but I think is tremendous value when considered in context with the quality of food you are being served and the surroundings, both of which are of an excellent standard.

The portions are slightly smaller than your average curry house, but remember this is fine dining not an "all you can eat buffet".

Always a good meal, will be visiting again.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Visited the Cellar restaurant whilst staying in Alcester. Walked in about 9.30pm on a Friday night and was surprised to see only a party of about 8 people sat in the dining area. The menu looked good and contained some chefs specials which looked interesting. We then waited for 10 minutes or so to place our order and then waited probably another half an hour for our starters. They came and went. Nothing too much to say about the starters except they were very very bland. By this time we were the only people left in the restaurant. The waiter, a large guy with the personality of a mushroom kept walking past. Then eventually the mains came. Well I am no expert on Indian food but I struggle to say anything complimentary about my dish which was a chefs special containing prawn chicken and beef in a medium sauce. Medium? I would have been better ordering the ice cream I think, it would have had more heat. Overall probably the worst curry I have ever had! Avoid avoid avoid!

2  Thank Ajb1207