“What a Shame” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Alcester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“What a Shame”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

This is the first ever review I have left but felt so disconcerted about the Throckmorton needed to share. Booked on line with Late rooms and on arrival feel that's what we got. Not a double deluxe but twin beds pushed together and a broken toilet seat. It was valentines night so my husband and I enjoyed the evening at the Turks Head which was fantastic and then I tackled it the next day. Was met with a very argumentative manager who insisted the toilet seat was not broken and all of the rooms were twins pushed together. Well they were not as we were moved to a perfectly nice double room which was far more acceptable. Had to pay extra £5 each for breakfast which was not advised by late rooms. Breakfast was OK with undercooked egg on the first morning. Wanted to ask for poached egg the next day but we were not asked if we wanted breakfast the following morning it was just bought to us without conversation by the same charmless manager with another undercooked egg. On the final morning there was no cooked breakfast as they do not do them in the week... something again we were not told about. The manager needs to be a manager and needs to brush up on his people skills for sure as. In general we found the service at the Throckmorton non plus in relation to service and we felt that the descriptions of the rooms were elevated. However on the final morning we were met by a very bright and cheery lady at breakfast and also the head of housekeeping. I say promote the ladies if you want the Throckmorton to thrive not dive.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is not room 9
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Liz C
stefan2605, Manager at The Throckmorton, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback .
You came to reception on Saturday morning stating you were not happy with the twin beds being pushed together to make a double,the bed side lights were not working and the toilet seat was broken.
I did not say all the rooms are twin bedded I told you we have 5 double bedded rooms & 5 twin bedded rooms which we turn into doubles if needed. I never said the toilet seat was not broken. All I did do was apologize and arrange for you to be moved into a deluxe doubled beded room for the rest of your stay. When you came back down to hand the room key in you said the bed side lights are working, as you hadn't realized they had numerous on/off switches. When you came back after your day out I asked you to come to reception to get your new room key , we would move you luggage over to the new room for you.
I asked on both mornings if you would like a cooked breakfast on Saturday morning you brought the egg over asking if it could be cooked more as you had suffered from salmonella previously. I took your breakfast back and got my chef to cook the egg to your liking, When I asked you the following morning if you would like a cooked breakfast this presented a perfect opportunity to ask for poached egg which we would of happily done. I also asked if you were enjoying your breakfast with you answering yes.
The descriptions on all our booking sites are factually correct down to room sizes and pictures.
The reason rm 8 is a deluxe just like rm 9 is it has a full size bathroom,, bigger floor space and has been recently refurbished.
When you book online you are asked if you wish to add breakfast. It also states the service time , cost and the fact we do continental breakfast Monday to Friday mornings and full English breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Due to your feedback as we have never had negative feedback previously down to the way the beds are put together we are now in the process of changing our mattresses to the zip & link so this will not deter anyone in the future.
I would ask you in future that you check your booking before going ahead as we have not ever and do not mislead anyone.
We offer excellent value for money and pride ourselves on our service standards again I'm sorry if you feel we did not live up to them.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

My wife bought an Amazon local voucher for the Throckmorton a while back (£16 which represented ridiculous value for money for 2 courses for 2 people!) and we'd half forgotten about it. A combination of a long January and a birthday found us making a reservation. The bottom line is that it was worth every penny. The Throckmorton is everything you'd want from a country pub; cosy (open wood fire and sofas), pleasant, quirky "country" decor, a great ale selection, and warm friendly (but not in your face) staff. After drinks from the bar we were taken to our table where we experienced a very good two course dinner. Very often you are limited on these deals to two or three choices, at best and you get the impression that these may have been put aside for the "special people", not a bit of it here. The chef (Joel I think) has obviously given this a lot of thought and care. The result is a well balanced, fairly extensive and well mixed menu. We weren't disappointed and had a great night. Despite the fact that it was a rainy Thursday night everyone was professional and on point, good stuff!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and I visited the pub early evening of Saturday 7th December. It was an excellent start with the evocative smell of woodsmoke when we got out of the car. The pub has a lovely cosy atmosphere with beams, big comfy sofas and a real fire. There's lots of interesting pictures and objects on the walls and a number of sitting areas to tuck yourself away. In the restaurant area we were seated at a table for 2 with big comfy chairs. There's a good choice of beers and a good menu. My husband had the fish and chips and a side order of onion rings. The chips were very chunky, fluffy on the inside (I was allowed one to taste!), he said the fish was delicious and the batter melted in the mouth. The onion rings were also very generously sized, large sliced rings of onion covered in a beautiful batter (I was also allowed to taste an onion ring).
I had the goats cheese tart with herb potatoes and salad. The tart was very tasty although I would have preferred more flavour in the herb poatoes and the salad dressing wasn't quite flavouful enough for me but I still enjoyed my meal. The staff were very friendly and efficient.
Neither of us could manage a sweet but thought it was very good value for good food and lovely surroundings -fashionably slightly shabby and so comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
stefan2605, Manager at The Throckmorton, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon
Oldbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here for one night after looking at late rooms because we were bored (and fancied shopping in Stratford). The room we were given was a 'superior' room which was quite nicely furnished. Even though it was the coldest night of the year, so far, it was beautifully warm and the heating had been turned on before we got to the room so we did not have to wait for it to warm up. We decided to go out to eat for the evening but, after travelling into both Stratford and Henley and finding parking impossible we returned to the Throckmorton and 8.50pm absolutely starving. The manager made sure we were still able to get a proper meal and , I have to say, I wish we had stayed in all evening. I had a beautifully cooked chicken breast with mash and vegies in a creamy garlic and mushroom sauce (piping hot) while my husband had scampi and chips (cooked to perfection as he likes it). We both had desert which, while delicious, portion-wise would hardly have fed a toddler. I did mention it to the duty manager next morning and he did apologise. What did make up for this though was that there was only us who had booked in for breakfast the next morning (which was a very pleasant surprise). At £5 per head we had the full monty; Cereals, a full English, toast and preserves, orange juice and coffee. (Apparently in the week they do not do the full English but you still get a continental brekkie for £4). The one big brickbat here was the showerhead - which was absolutely black with mould - and limescale though I was assured that this would be rectified when I pointed it out.

Room Tip: It is a good place to stay if you need a base for a couple of nights. I would recommend eating ther...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

We booked here due the location which was convenient for a wedding we were attending.

Room was roomy and I thought the decor was quite modern, maybe it is one of the new rooms that has been done up ?

We didn't have anything to eat apart from breakfast which was adequate.

The pub has a lot of character oldy worldy .

My only complaint was at the end of our evening returning back to our accommodation because the premises were closed we had to use a back door . All four of us in the party tried opening it and it wouldn't open . It was half past midnight we were unsure if anyone was going to come to our rescue, we phoned a number that was on the door and a guy came out to open it. When I phoned him he was quite exasperated with our request a bit huff and puffy. He was able to open it for us but I think there is a neck at it so maybe you might want to try before heading off out for the night.

All an all a pleasant stay for the money we paid

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Twickenham, London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We booked the Throckmorton Arms because we wanted a central venue for a weekend get-together for four couples.

I chose the Throckmorton over other local hotels because we wanted a friendly and relaxing pub atmosphere and that's exactly what we got. A very pleasant evening sitting around an open fire with an excellent meal as well.

The staff were generally friendly, always helpful, food was good. The rooms weren't great but if we wanted 5 star facilities we'd have booked elsewhere.

Look beyond the unlovely facade and venture inside, it's better than you might think.

Room Tip: Some rooms are small. Always ask for the largest available.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Having read the comment below I feel obliged to write. I note a gentleman who stayed in the suite only rated as a two and had lots of moans about curtain over small window, hot tap difficult to turn on, low light fiiting etc, which may be correct but paints an unfair picture of the room.

I have to say that I stayed in the same room on wednesday night and for the price paid for the room I think it is excellent value. As a busniess traveller I have paid £80-£100 a night for much worse. Yes the rooms are a little tired but, not bad at all, it was clean and the satff were very helpful and attentive. I would stay there again.

I understand what the previous gentleman requires from his accomodation but, did he really expect Crowne Plaza/Hilton (have paid £150-£250 night on many occaisions and you are intitle to complain about anything which spoils your stay) standards for the price he paid.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcester
Kings Court Hotel
#6 of 8 in Redditch
The Falcon Hotel
The Falcon Hotel
#10 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to The Throckmorton? Share your experiences!