“A restaurant & food review”
Review of The Phoenix Inn

The Phoenix Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Twyford
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 17Th Centuary Coaching Inn, Family Run, a Pub that does quality food, 8 Cask Ales, Craft Ciders, Craft Lagers, Skittle Alley & Function Room. Two Patios, Secure Beer Garden & Sun Terrace, Large Car Park & A Real Log Fire !
Twyford, United Kingdom
“A restaurant & food review”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I am slightly dissapointed that trip advisor removed my previous review, even though it was bang on my opinion of the Phoenix and my experiences. Trip advisor did send me a very nice email asking me to be more specific about the overall experience and to leave personal criticism out of the review. So here goes.
I ate at the Phoenix inn, high street Twyford, Winchester in early December. I had the fish and chips and my colleague the lasagne Phoenix style. Both dishes were entirely based on volume and not executed well in any way. Both of us felt the quality of the two dishes was poor. The lasagne was only tepid in the center and the garlic bread bland and flavorless. The famous fish n chips was a bit
average. This review is based entirely on my personal experience of eating at the Phoenix inn, high street, Twyford , Winchester, Hampshire, so21 1rf.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Twyfordfamilyman

Leicester, United Kingdom
“A gem1”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Travelling o Weymouth we wanted lunch but not a service station. We dived off the motorway and 2 miles later found 'The Phoenix'. We were made very wlecome by the landlord and enjoyed a delicious lunch. I can definitely recommend the 3 bean chilli. As a veggie it was lovley to have somerthing so tasty.

• Visited February 2014
Guildford, United Kingdom
“A mixed bag”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I visited with two friends on a cold & rainy Sunday lunch in January. We were recommended by a neighbouring establishment as they had no availability. First impressions very good indeed, a clean, smart & well presented pub. We had a nice welcome from the chap behind the bar and there was a large selection of real ales to choose from. Which we did, all well maintained, right temperature and tasted fresh. We ordered 3 roasts, two of which mixed, and it was from here things unfortunately deteriorated. I am not a person to complain or write bad things, but our Sunday roast dinners were just not that good. The meat on the mixed roasts was very chewy and a bit too fatty. Roast potatoes seemed to have been reheated, the vegetables were uninspired and the gravy tasted decidedly packet. We left quite a bit of it, but when the plates were cleared no one asked if everything was ok? Strange.
After a very promising start and good beer we left feeling quite disappointed. If this place had great food it would be the perfect pub in my eyes.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Gwenwatson64
toadinthehole9995, Owner at The Phoenix Inn, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear sirs, thank you of your review of your visit in January, dated 3rd March 2014. We are sorry you had a bad experience with our Sunday Roasts, Sundays are a the day we pride ourselves on serving, tasty tender meats, fresh potatoes, vegetables and tasty gravy made from the meat juices. We take your point that the waitress should have questioned the food returned on the plates when she cleared, she has now been advised on this. I would hope I asked after your meal when payment was made at the bar where you could have advised me accordingly. Your review is acknowledged and we hope you may visit at a further date.Paul & Emma ( Proprietors )
Hampshire
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I visited this pub/restaurant for the first time over the weekend for a family meal. Upon entering, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect as the decor is quite dated (but homely!) First & foremost, it's a pub first, eating establishment second. If you're expecting a three course meal with silver service, go elsewhere. As we entered, the landlord (I assume) greeted us with a big friendly welcome and pointed us too are table.

All four of us ordered a traditional Sunday roast. The waitress who took our order(s) was extremely polite, professional & courteous. Within 10 - 15 minutes are roasts arrived. The meat was cooked to perfection, the vegetables fresh & and gravy sublime! It was quite evident from the taste it was all fresh and mostly homemade. The portions were just right as well. As for the dessert, the apple crumble was simply awesome! Once again, fresh, hot & very tasty.

I couldn't possibly comment on the other dishes they offer, but based on what we had, I'm sure they all taste just as good. The bill was very reasonable & the roasts cost about £7 - 8 per head as I recall. Very good value considering the quality & quantity of the food on offer.

As for the venue itself, they offer all kinds of different theme nights, including your traditional curry night, to mussels night (not my kind of thing personally). They have a skittles alley & offer all kinds of cabaret acts, along with a log fire for those winter nights.

Two very minor criticisms, the furniture needs updating & there’s too many menus/laminates on the table, but otherwise I would urge anyone passing through to give this place a try. You won't be disappointed. I will certainly be back.

• Visited February 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Divine, Everytime.”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Time and time again I have visited the Phoenix inn, living about 10 minuets away I always try and get to the pub a bit earlier in the evening as it opens and when not to busy, but saying this, the quality and exceptional service will never differ no matter how busy the pub is, even though very friendly publicans Paul and Emma may not have as much time for you when busy, they make every one in the pub feel just as welcome as a local to the pub would get.

The food, yes it is pub food, and I do not believe this review should be on this 'restaurant' page, as it IS a pub, it has never been portrayed as anything but a pub and for people to see it as anything else shouldn't be reviewing as they do not know it how it is. I don't normally review on trip advisor, but reading what I have read on this page as annoyed me greatly. Very recently I have seen children in the pub, outside in the garden, or sat in the main bar, along with eating many portion verities from a great and mixed menu. The sizes are nothing like portrayed and I could not disagree more with what has been said. Adding to that statement, the option of a children's menu is available, strange for a pub that doesn't accept children.

The local village do not support this pub enough, I know many villages that would kill for a pub like what Twyford has. The pub looks good, has a very good atmosphere from the quiet nights to have a chat with Paul or Emma, to a very busy and pumping Friday night with a good band to match the good beers. I feel the pub itself is only made 100 times better by the The landlord and landlady who I would now class as friends, would do anything for anyone and I and many other people I see in the pub I know feel the same.

I had to put this because I feel the latter reviews have been unfair and incorrect.

• Visited March 2013